I went to a local mom and pop shop near me and they had an ibanez 8 string that just went up on the wall. The owner who i have known for ever said check it out.

Ok first of all what the f*$@? This thing has a massive neck. and it sounded like i was squeezing a goose. i will admit it was sort of nifty in a gimmicky sort of way but it was just a bit much. He told me he has 2 on order for a few kids.

I am not saying that its a horrible guitar overall it just isnt for me. But if its your bag then go for it.

Anyone else play one yet?
Honestly, I don't quite see the appeal of an 8 string. It's just getting too much into the range of the bass. That low F# is a step above the low E of a bass.

I'll take a 7 string though.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I just ordered a Schecter Damien Elite 8 string Im selling my ibanez 7 string because when the 8 string comes it will be pretty redundant :P
I think the whole appeal is getting as far into the bass range as we can AND I will be dropping to E xD
Quote by oneblackened
Honestly, I don't quite see the appeal of an 8 string. It's just getting too much into the range of the bass. That low F# is a step above the low E of a bass.

I'll take a 7 string though.
It's good if you want to be a one man band, playing bass and guitar at the same time. It's basically a grand piano in guitar form. You want a good example of an 8 string in use, YouTube any videos of Tosin Abasi. ****ing amazing.
did you look at the price tag? im guessing it was the RGA8 model and not the nearly twice as expensive prestige counterpart. was it in tune and was it decently set up? if you try and riff on the lower strings unplugged in a semi noisy environment, yeah it may sound like squeezing a goose if you can even hear it. plug it in and give it a go! theres lots you can do with 8 strings. you dont have to set them up with two lower string (B and F# in standard). some players go one lower and one higher, but getting something like a high A is pretty tough and probably not doable on the RGA8s scale length, and even less so on the interceptors scale (28 5/8"s).

pat, are you undecided altogether about getting an 8 or not, or are you just waiting on funds and/or deciding on which finish to go with?

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC_YbDGTTvk

I believe that's the same guitar, but don't quote me on it. This guy is the reason I'm going to buy an Agile 8 soon. I saw them with BTBAM awhile back and pretty much had my head explode watching him play.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Quote by SYLrules88
pat, are you undecided altogether about getting an 8 or not, or are you just waiting on funds and/or deciding on which finish to go with?
I wanted the Natural finish with either the ebony or maple fretboard, I just can't buy it yet because I haven't had a job for about a month. And even when I do get another job, my first priority is buying a car for myself so an 8 string is going to have to wait.

I am selling a couple guitars though to make the whole process go faster haha.
I must admit that i was a little taken back by the price. BUT i remember back when i bought my Ibanez 7 string universe everyone was telling me. What are you thinking it will never catch on its a gimmick.

So for me to say that it was gimmicky kind of came full circle so for those that enjoy the 8 string enjoy it. After all one of my favorite bands meshuggah plays 8 strings so its one of those dont knock it things.
This thing has a massive neck. and it sounded like i was squeezing a goose.

Not everybody is lucky enough to have big hands. And as for the sound, it’s like a bass, you still have to play some high notes now and then to make it interesting.
I think it's kinda pointless to use an 8 stringer as opposed to a low tuned 7 string or a baritone 6 string, unless you actually need all 8 strings for your style/s of music. We've all seen 7 string players who only use the bass strings for chunking power chords without touching the high E.

But, as with all things guitar, whatever works for ya works for ya.
I own a RG2228 and dont find it to be massive at all...

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
I own a RG2228 and dont find it to be massive at all...

Seconded. 6-strings seem like a ukelele to me now.

It took me a little while to get used to, but now I can't imagine playing without those extra strings. So many more phrasing opportunities, especially for chords. B and F# chords can get one hell of a nice boost in sound.

Besides, I barely need to downtune now.
i have one... i love it.

as above. downtuning is in the past. anyone who plays an octave lower is an idiot

it took a week or so to get used to it. especially the size difference. i have a schecter V-8. the body is bigger than the V-6, everything is huge. but now it just feels natural, my ibanez feels too small
i'm Ginger its fun
Quote by Ghostmaker
I think it's kinda pointless to use an 8 stringer as opposed to a low tuned 7 string or a baritone 6 string, unless you actually need all 8 strings for your style/s of music. We've all seen 7 string players who only use the bass strings for chunking power chords without touching the high E.

But, as with all things guitar, whatever works for ya works for ya.

That's Korn for you. Listen to more Nevermore, Dream Theater, Strapping Young Lad, and Chris Broderick
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
This man does godly things with the 8-string guitar.

WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by Kartman
This man does godly things with the 8-string guitar.

He does, but his sax player makes me feel like I’m taking a nap in an elevator.
Quote by Sparky-MMA
as above. downtuning is in the past. anyone who plays an octave lower is an idiot

Hey now, drop Eb is awesome.