While on a trip to Chicago my guitar was semi-accidentally left sitting in the back of my car through 2 and a half days of 100+ degree heat, which I'm assuming is the reason my pickguard has bowed up near the neck pickup. While it doesn't appear to be causing any problems (I honestly can't see why it would), it is rather unsightly and makes it look like I really don't care about my guitar (and nothing could be further from the truth).

The obvious solution is to replace it, however I have not the slightest idea what I'm doing, and was wonder if pickguard replacement was one of those things someone with no guitar modding experience could do using UG and the internet, of if I'm simply better off having someone else do it.
the more beat up a guitar looks the cooler it looks. i <3 beat up guitars. if it dose not affect the sound why bother

http://images.quickblogcast.com/46569-42323/blackie.jpg

edit
i have more to add, can you mod the pick guard in any way. do you have something to reheat it and fold it back to its regular shape. be creative, u never put a picture up of how it looks so i have no idea how much work u have to put in it.
Last edited by rocker222 at Aug 12, 2010,
pics to see how bad it is would help.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Quote by rocker222
the more beat up a guitar looks the cooler it looks. i <3 beat up guitars. if it dose not affect the sound why bother

http://images.quickblogcast.com/46569-42323/blackie.jpg

edit
i have more to add, can you mod the pick guard in any way. do you have something to reheat it and fold it back to its regular shape. be creative, u never put a picture up of how it looks so i have no idea how much work u have to put in it.

I've take some pictures, but my camera is being temperamental and isn't letting me upload them at the moment. I'll post them if it decides to cooperate.

Anyways, trust me it's bad, and doesn't look beat up in a cool way, it looks beat up in a "dude, you need to fix that it looks terrible" way. Heating it might work, but I'm not very handy and chances are I'd end up making it worse. However, replacing it might also be a problem as it's not a real strat, nor is it a well known, brand name knockoff (New York Pro, I don't even think they're in business anymore), so I might not even be able to find one that would fit, and I don't know anyone that owns a real strat that I could compare it with.
You could try taking it off the guitar, taking out all the electronics off of the guard, then popping it in the oven at a low temp for a while to slowly flatten, but don't get it to hot or you're screwed.
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Quote by Arch1119
You could try taking it off the guitar, taking out all the electronics off of the guard, then popping it in the oven at a low temp for a while to slowly flatten, but don't get it to hot or you're screwed.

This here is where I have concerns. I have absolutely zero modding experience of any kind, don't really know a whole lot about how guitars are wired, and have practically no knowledge of wiring in general, so I'm bit nervous about messing with it, as whatever I screw up I will have to pay to have fixed (which could get kind of high as my guitar has a floating trem, so taking all the stings off equals instant set-up, so at least $70 right off the bat if it's anything serious, or if the person fixing it isn't patient enough to try and get the pickguard off without removing the strings).
Swapping pickguards is about a 15 minute task. It's a bunch of screws and nuts and that's about it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
...you can't change your own strings and set up your guitar yourself???

What brand is the guitar?

Are the pickups and knobs and switch attached to the guard?
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Quote by Arch1119
...you can't change your own strings and set up your guitar yourself???

What brand is the guitar?

Are the pickups and knobs and switch attached to the guard?

I can change strings of course, but I have to take them off one at a time or there's not enough tension (I guess that's the right word) on the neck and bridge which causes my neck to warp and my bridge to go out of alignment: instant $70 luthier bill.

New York Pro.

No, the knobs I'm going to guess you maybe just pry off with like a flathead screwdriver? Not a clue as to how you'd get the switch knob off. As far as I know, it's exactly like a strat in terms of controls set up.
then the actual components should be attached to the guitar, the plastic knobs on the guitar should pop of with your hand, don't use anything to pry them off. then I would assume that all the electronics would be just unscrew, or unbolt from the guitar from the pots(the metal shit under the plastic). label where everything went and I'm pretty sure you could put it back together. But it's your choice and I'm not taking responsibility for it. If it's like a strat as you say, this is how strats are set up.
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
If you're really that unsure about doing this yourself, just take it in somewhere is the only thing I can tell you, most strat style guitars with the same shape pick guard are the same minus maybe screw holes not being the same, but that's very unlikely.
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Quote by Arch1119
then the actual components should be attached to the guitar, the plastic knobs on the guitar should pop of with your hand, don't use anything to pry them off. then I would assume that all the electronics would be just unscrew, or unbolt from the guitar from the pots(the metal shit under the plastic). label where everything went and I'm pretty sure you could put it back together. But it's your choice and I'm not taking responsibility for it. If it's like a strat as you say, this is how strats are set up.

The switch comes off just fine, but the knobs aren't going anywhere. What happens if I try to pry them off?
Quote by strat-rocker-06
The switch comes off just fine, but the knobs aren't going anywhere. What happens if I try to pry them off?

if its a real strat the knobs should come off fine, underneath the tone knobs are the pot knobs. yea dude one time i left my ipod in the car and it totally ****ed it up. another time i left my Taylor in the car in the gig bag, when i remembered that the guitar was in there i ran to my car and got it out, i unzipped the bag and steam was coming out. and my hole car smelled like wood, im so lucky another hour in the car would have warped my guitar.
Quote by rocker222
if its a real strat the knobs should come off fine, underneath the tone knobs are the pot knobs. yea dude one time i left my ipod in the car and it totally ****ed it up. another time i left my Taylor in the car in the gig bag, when i remembered that the guitar was in there i ran to my car and got it out, i unzipped the bag and steam was coming out. and my hole car smelled like wood, im so lucky another hour in the car would have warped my guitar.

That would have sucked. Epically. Taylors are expensive.

Irritatingly it's not a real strat, so everything is by default a pain in the neck.
the most important part of replacing the pickguard is understanding how the pickups are held up with the screws and springs. once you understand that the rest is just unscrewing screws and replacing them in the new guard. easy stuff. if you're at all unsure you could probably grab a friend that's replaced a pickguard before.

i think you should just go for it. the first time i replaced a pickguard was on my gibson sg. i didn't quite know what was under a pickguard back then but it's pretty easy to figure out how to put it all back together again after you're done.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Who cares about your neck warping? Screw luthiers, google is your friend, so is this website.
I took all the strings offa my 370DX w/ a Edge III and no tension holder on the bridge, sure, I had to so stuffies to make everything right, re adjust the action, trem height.... It's all learning, you're going to have to experience it eventually, It's just pieces of wood with electronics, wires and strings on it.