Page 1 of 2
Pit,

My family will be vacationing in Australia this December/January, and I'm looking for some suggestions on things I should check out. We will most likely be visiting Sydney and Melbourne, possibly Tasmania and Ayer's Rock. Any sights I should make sure not to miss?
I'm jealous but make sure to head to one of the beaches and go surfing. Don't see to many fellow 04'ers around here anymore.
I don't always post in the threads but when I do its random and pointless because I'm ignorant enough to think you care.
cannibal aboriginals
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɥʇıʍ poob ʇou ɯı uʍop ǝpısdn sıɥʇ sı ʎɥʍ pob ɥo
Oh god, Tasmania? Sorry can't help you I'm too busy being awesome up north with my barrier reef and crocodiles.
lol guitar
Go see Tame Impala live!!!!

Beach
Try out eating kangaroo, alligator, emu, etc. stuff that you wouldn't be able to sample other places. Also vegemite

In Melbourne:

Flinder's Street Station/Federation Square, Rialto Tower, Eureka Tower, Luna Park, Healesville Sanctuary, Melbourne Zoo, and the CBD in general. It's not that big.
The beaches are always fun to go to, especially in Dec/Jan, I suggest manly/bondi if youre in sydney. There isnt much happening in tasmania so i wouldnt bother going there. If youre going to ayers rock, maybe consider doing the rockclimbing, maybe the sydney harbour bridge climb too. I've been living in Sydney for almost 3 years now, there is always something to do.
Quote by Outerspacegrass
cannibal aboriginals

Wow just chill out dude, We do not eat people.

Watch out for drop bears.
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
Quote by deathdrummer
Wow just chill out dude, We do not eat people.

Watch out for drop bears.

This. You have no idea how many tourists ignore this advice and have bears fall on them.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Drop bears are the least of your worries if you head to Tasmania. You'd best watch out for the fabled Derro.
lol guitar
Go to Bondi in sydney, the forests in Tasmania are pretty cool, shoulda come up north though to the reef and rainforest. Melbourne theres heaps to do, just watch out for bushfires.
be careful of the cops in Melbourne, they like to shot first and then ask questions.
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
BBQ on the beach. Preferably with your own fire.
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
Skip Tasmania and instead go to either Surfer's Paradise/Gold Coast or Cairns. Both are in Queensland.

I went outer-reef snorkelling in Cairns a few months ago, best experience of my life. Swimming with fish and turtles, sharks, stingrays, etc, and seeing walls of coral that are 20 metres high. It was amazing.

I'm Australian, so I know what I'm talking about.
Last edited by suckersdream at Aug 13, 2010,
I live in Australia, so I know what I'm talking about unlike the majority of the above posters.

You should come to Canberra to see the Australian War Memorial, if nothing else here. It is brilliant.

Sydney - the beaches. Manly is superb, as is Bondi, and in summer they will be packed. There are loads of cool things to do in Sydney - climb the Harbour Bridge, go see the Opera House, catch a Manly Ferry... the list goes on. You can see the Poms get thumped by us from 2-6 Jan I believe at the lovely Sydney Cricket Ground. When in Australia, see a Test match. It's essential.

Tasmania - very beautiful, but not much there really. Ayer's Rock - very touristy, lots of Aboriginals trying to cash in on it.

Ah, other than that, there is stacks of natural beauty around the east coast... it would take hours to go through it all even briefly here, so I won't. But wherever you go, Australia is an awesome place, and we're mostly educated and pleasant people, so you will have a great time.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Why would anyone want to go there. Half the cracked.com articles I read are about all the crazy shit there that can kill you.
Quote by suckersdream
Skip Tasmania and instead go to either Surfer's Paradise/Gold Coast or Cairns. Both are in Queensland.

I went outer-reef snorkelling in Cairns a few months ago, best experience of my life. Swimming with fish and turtles, sharks, stingrays, etc, and seeing walls of coral that are 20 metres high. It was amazing.

This^^ pity it's a family vacation, there's lots of fine wimminz in south east Queensland, especially at the coast. Or if you like the hipster/scene/raver/gawth variety like myself, then Brisbane is god mode.
lol guitar
Quote by The_Sophist
Why would anyone want to go there. Half the cracked.com articles I read are about all the crazy shit there that can kill you.

See, I don't get that... I've never had my life threatened by an animal, and I've been living here a good 20 years.
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
Quote by c_a-m_
Screw Australia come down the NZ. That's where it's at!

This.

I'm moving there in a couple of years
Quote by The_Sophist
That's because it's pretty hard to make knob jokes about all the perfectly safe and habitable areas here.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
I appreciate all the (actual) suggestions! I knew there were some Aussies in the pit so it's good to hear from them.

Any idea what the best way to get around to all these places is? Should we try and fly or would a bus or train be easier/cheaper?

To the "skip Tasmania" people: Why exactly? My mom really wants to go (she's done more research on this than I have). She says there's some cool wildlife there and the Wikipedia article (the extent of my research) makes the geography look gorgeous.

I definitely want to go snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef (I wish I had my scuba certification... ). I'm definitely going to pitch the idea, I'm sure we can get up there.

To the "go to NZ instead" people: I've already been to New Zealand. Thanks though.
Quote by whalepudding
That's because it's pretty hard to make knob jokes about all the perfectly safe and habitable areas here.

Doesn't mean they're making creatures up, and some of those things are terrifying.
I live in Melbourne and have lots of family in Sydney

they are GREAT places to live, but I have absolutely no idea why so many tourists come here. They are both large, modern cities that offer a superb lifestyle, but there's little to see that would warrant travelling so far.

The best sights to see in Australia as a tourist are well outside the big cities. From Melbourne, take trips down to the great ocean road, and go visit Mansfield or Daylesford. Go bushwalking and then visit some country pubs. That's when you'll see a part of the planet that doesn't exist anywhere else.

Depending on what sort of music you like, I can recommend some cool nightspots in Melbourne. You'll need your passport and to be 18+ to get let into them though.

Don't skip Tasmania. You'd be better off skipping Melbourne or Sydney. Hobart is gorgeous and Port Arthur is fascinating.

Go to Darwin if you can.
Last edited by jimejames at Aug 13, 2010,
Quote by gibsonpenguin
I appreciate all the (actual) suggestions! I knew there were some Aussies in the pit so it's good to hear from them.

Any idea what the best way to get around to all these places is? Should we try and fly or would a bus or train be easier/cheaper?

To the "skip Tasmania" people: Why exactly? My mom really wants to go (she's done more research on this than I have). She says there's some cool wildlife there and the Wikipedia article (the extent of my research) makes the geography look gorgeous.

I definitely want to go snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef (I wish I had my scuba certification... ). I'm definitely going to pitch the idea, I'm sure we can get up there.

To the "go to NZ instead" people: I've already been to New Zealand. Thanks though.

I actually highly recommend Tasmania. I went in 2006, Hobart is a beautiful city and Port Arthur is an amazingly historic place. Depressing as hell because of the massacre, but an amazing place.
I highly recommend a place called Strahan. I went there last and it was amazing.

What he said ^

If you're going to skip one, skip Sydney. It's way too touristy.
Melbourne is the better one.
Weirdly enough, I'm sitting in Dubai airport waiting to get on my transfer flight to Melbourne coz I'm moving there.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Make sure you see one of these:

It shouldn't be too hard to find one, just look under the bed in the hotels you're staying at.

Quote by tyler_j

If you're going to skip one, skip Sydney. It's way too touristy.
Melbourne is the better one.

I disagree. Sydney is home to two of Australia's best known international icons, being the Harbour Bridge and the Sydney Opera House. What has Melbourne got? Coffee shops and trams...w00t.

Sydney offers more to tourists than Melbourne.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Last edited by breadstick at Aug 13, 2010,
Quote by breadstick

I disagree. Sydney is home to two of Australia's best known international icons, being the Harbour Bridge and the Sydney Opera House. What has Melbourne got? Coffee shops and trams...w00t.

That's the thing though, it's too touristy.
I mean, honestly, you can't get much more out of it from seeing it on a picture than you can in person.
I wasn't too impressed by either when I went there.
But Melbourne has far more character and awesomeness than Sydney.
Drop bears aren't a problem as long as you hire a cricket bat or two.

I'm actually going to Tasmania around December as well. Going to Tasmania and then Ayers Rock is pretty much going straight from a forest to a desert. And instead of Melbourne I'd recommend Brisbane because of the season. I love Brisbane in the summer but Melbourne is nicer in winter.

There's a shitload of cool shit to do in Queensland over summer, I don't know if anyone's mentioned it but the theme parks can be mad dog when it's hot. Tasmania is beautiful, but I think that if you can go to Queensland for a few days it'd be well worth it.

Like someone said before, there's some great stuff outside of Melbourne. If you're into surfing, Torquay could be fun, it has a great beach. There's some cool night spots in Melbourne, a lot of great pubs around Fitzroy and the city. If you have the chance, go to the Napier Hotel in Fitzroy. It has the best parma in the world. You dudes in Melbourne, best $20 you can spend. Good beer on tap at standard prices, and it's a ten minute tram ride from the cbd. Plus, it's Fitzroy, so there's heaps of bars and pubs around if you want a change of scenery.

Also, if you can, go and watch a game of 20/20 cricket. If you're not a fan of the game, watching a test match could be a bit boring for you guys, but 20/20 is faster paced and a bit more exciting. Shame you couldn't catch a footy match though.

Oh, and at Ayer's Rock, check out the Olga's. They're really close (you can get there from the holiday park), and there's some pretty epic scenery. If you decide to walk around the rock the same day as you climb it, drink shitloads of water. I got dehydrated, got sunstroke and passed out in the gift shop. Embarrassing for me.
my friend's dad lives in australia. he surfs everyday. so check out the surfing perhaps?
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
Quote by breadstick

Arguing over which is better for tourists is like 2 quadraplegics arguing about who would be the best cyclist.

If you're going to get on an expensive and long flight to see large cities, go to a genuinely fascinating one like Rio or New York or Paris or Rome or Bangkok or Calcutta or St Petersburg.

If you're gonna go to Australia then go and see something uniquely australian, like the bush, the desert or the rainforests.
Quote by MinterMan22

Back right up!
The word 'convicts' is dangerously close to the SA/Victorian border.
SA was the *only* state not begun as a colony for them English criminals -.-
That better be on the Victorian side....
So does anybody know the best way to travel around while we're there? Plane? Train? Bus?
Tasmania is awesome.
So long as you stay away from the west coast you will have a good holiday.
So come on in
it ain't no sin
take off your skin
and dance around in your bones

Page 1 of 2