Hey guys, currently my EC 1000 is set up for 10-52's in E standard.

I was wondering would changing my gauge to 13's to play in C standard for maybe a month then changing back to 10-52 hurt my set up?
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Roland Cube 30x
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
LTD Ec-1000
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by jpnyc
You’ll have to set up the guitar each time you change the strings.

You will indeed need a set-up when you change the strings. And 13s? IMO I wouldn't recommend it unless you really like beefy strings. I use 11-54s for tuning to C standard and even lower on occasion, and I usually have no problems. I guess it all does come down to tonal preferences as well as how the guitar is set up. I would honestly say 12s would be more than sufficient even for such a low tuning. Just my two cents, though.
Your intonation would probably be off, but a full re-setup? No. The tension would be about the same. You're decreasing your string tension by lowering the tuning while increasing your string tension by using bigger strings at the same time, so not much adjustment wouldn't be needed.

If you're really paranoid, you could probably tweak it a little bit, but honestly people here on UG tend to jump on the "you need to re-setup your guitar every time you change strings" bandwagon much too quickly for sanity.

As always, let your hands tell you themselves. If you feel like it's off, then change it. If it feels fine, then don't worry about it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
oh okay. so if i change my gauge to 13's and tune to C standard for a month or so and then change back to 10-52, my guitar ( which was set up to E standard 10-52) will still play as if I never did the C standard thing?
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Roland Cube 30x
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
LTD Ec-1000
Quote by Offworld92
Your intonation would probably be off, but a full re-setup? No. The tension would be about the same. You're decreasing your string tension by lowering the tuning while increasing your string tension by using bigger strings at the same time, so not much adjustment wouldn't be needed.

If you're really paranoid, you could probably tweak it a little bit, but honestly people here on UG tend to jump on the "you need to re-setup your guitar every time you change strings" bandwagon much too quickly for sanity.

As always, let your hands tell you themselves. If you feel like it's off, then change it. If it feels fine, then don't worry about it.

Agreed, I hate it when I see 40 people giving the wrong advice towards setting up a guitar for a lower tuning. I've jumped around tunings so much and never had any problem. Like yesterday, I have .011's on my guitar, I went from drop C to drop B and had no negative effects, I've gone from E standard to drop A# with no negative effects, so if you have a solid guitar, your not going to get any major problems, and if you feel like something is off, then fix it.
Quote by Offworld92

On a guitar without a trem changing strings, intonating, and a little neck adjustment is a setup.
Be sure to change one string at a time....that way if you have buzz or issue with tuning, you know it was that string. If you take all your strings off, etc. you won't know what the issue is.

No....don't worry about a set up. you may or may not need it...plus they are a no brainer once you've done it once.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Agreed, I hate it when I see 40 people giving the wrong advice towards setting up a guitar for a lower tuning. I've jumped around tunings so much and never had any problem. Like yesterday, I have .011's on my guitar, I went from drop C to drop B and had no negative effects, I've gone from E standard to drop A# with no negative effects, so if you have a solid guitar, your not going to get any major problems, and if you feel like something is off, then fix it.

Same here; when the trem was blocked on my Ibanez, I would take it from D# standard to drop C# to C standard to drop A# to drop B and back again, and I've never had any problems. I was using 10-52's. Even now, with the trem floating again, and back in D# standard, I have no problems with the neck - I've never even adjusted the truss rod. Sure the intonation is off a bit, but besides that, I just don't see why it would need to be adjusted.

Most of the time I find that when people need to adjust it, it's because it was already messed with previously when it should not have been.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
can someone answer my question? if i change to 13's and tune to C standard, will my guitar still be good if i change back after a month to 10-52s in E standard ? (it is set up atm for E standard 10-52)
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Roland Cube 30x
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
LTD Ec-1000
You might have to file the nut a little bit depending on what kind of nut you have to allow the bigger strings to fit, in which case yes, you do need a set up.

^Above question:
As long as you set it up properly, it's fine. In your case you probably need to set it up, or at least adjust the truss rod (if you can do that yourself).
Last edited by zincabopataurio at Aug 13, 2010,
Quote by dNWaKE
can someone answer my question? if i change to 13's and tune to C standard, will my guitar still be good if i change back after a month to 10-52s in E standard ? (it is set up atm for E standard 10-52)

I thought we already did answer your question. Some of us said you'll be fine, others said no, and I said that you won't know until you do it. If you feel like you need to, then yes, if it feels fine then it's fine.

Also, what's the big deal? Even if you have to, it only takes like half an hour.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X