two questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCed47HdRu8

part at 2:55

proggy/jazzy/random assemblage of notes part thing. (lol) lots of prog bands do this sort of thing all the time and i think its really cool. my question is how do they write parts like this? it seems to be just like a random thing to me, but yet lots of other musicians i listen to seem to do something at least similar. is it just some scale thing? or is there something they use i dont know about?

second question, is about improvising. both solos and rhythm. i seem to struggle with it. starting a while back, i began learning many individual techniques/rudiments like alternate picking, sweep picking,string skipping you know all that technical junk. i tried to stop anchoring and angle my left and right hands differently and other little things to help my playing. now, i feel like im at a point where i have a good hold on how i want to play the guitar technically speaking. but i seem to have writers block and/or lack creativity. i think part of it is because of oldschool metal. fr example the song painkiller by judas priest, or like typcial gothenberg riffage. alot of times when i just jam or write something or whatever its like alternate picking oldschool chug stuff. i love that music but i dont want to write it, i want to write something much more deep and meaningful like opeth or alcest or anekdoten, prog metal/rock whatever you get the idea lol. melodys and rythym parts for me just seem to be forced even tho im not trying, and to write something i have to consciously slow down for it to sound better. i used to be heavily into bands like judas priest, and i think it has affected me in the long term.ive been trying to get away from that style recently at least for writing purposes to try to look at new perspectives and whatnot but i feel very uncreative while writing, its just frustrating.

and for solos, ive never really seemed to understand how to do them. im horrid at improvising. and i dont really think learning licks would help, im not trying to play blues, and learning other players licks to me just doesnt seem right. like, when i solo its not me its just a compilation of others licks. anyways, long story semi short, can you guys just give me general recommendations for things i should try to help me write/solo/whatever?

thanks
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
1. sounds like octave displacement or chromatic octaves

2. learn a full scale and start to mess around, before you know it you'll make little mental notes like oh this sounds good with that followed by that. not saying you always have to play the same stuff but it helps to know what sound good together, then you can build off of it. also you start to listen to the overall "sound" of certain note combo's, so you can be like oh this is bluesy this is metal ect.
1. I can't see the video because it keeps crashing my browser (wtf youtube?!) but I'm familiar with the song. A lot of King Crimson crazy-ness is based on repeating melodic patterns that become gradually rhythmically displaced. The key to writing those types of things is experimentation. I wrote a song's intro based on this idea, (check out Helicopria's Paragon on youtube) and it can be really effective if you figure it out.

2. Try playing/listening to more music that is based entirely on improvisation. An absolutely essential album you should listen to as a musician is Herbie Hancock's Head Hunters. Just start putting music like this on repeat while you zone out doing stuff, have it in the background, just hear it and absorb it. What is far more important than memorizing licks is understanding how it works within the music. When you get your subconscious to start absorbing the music you will notice that it improves your phrasing and timing.

The most important part about soloing I find is BEING A GOOD LISTENER. I feel like I could write a novel on this subject, but I'll try to spare you. Being a soloist is about creating interesting improvised melodies over the music. Where should the first place you draw inspiration be? The music you are improvising over! Maybe their is an interesting bass line that you can draw from, or even quoting the main melody of the song. It could be as far fetched as a pattern of rhythmic accents being lain down by your drummer! Just find something in the music that will make you think of something other than "playing licks" and take your mind off playing like a robot. The more "in sync" you are with the music the better you are going to sound!
yes the displacement thing seems to be exactly what im looking for. and if you wrote that good job it sounds nice, exactly the kind of thing im going for. kind of reminds me of that part in "the moor" by opeth in the background at the begining.

and the soloing ideas are interesting as well. ill definitely have to give that a listen, and another thing that came to mind is the exivious album, i think most if not all solos and drums and things are improvised all over that album. and yea i just hate the concept of licks sometimes. it just reminds me of blues licks because it seems to be to be the genre they most commonly appear in, and honestly i think alot of blues is horridly generic, and lacks soul because all they do is play licks over and over, and alot of times the same ones(good kind of example, free bird. ugh i cant stand that song anymore)
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.