Can you plug, say an ipod, into a guitar cab?
Gear:
Fender American Standard Strat
Zoom G5
Blackstar HT1 mini stack

Epiphone G400 SG Goth / with Emg 81 +85
LP kit
Jackson RR24m
Jackson Dk2M
Maton EM225c
Bugera 333XL
Randall RA412XL
ISP Decimator G String
Boss Tu-2
Boss RC-2
I'd say that you'd need to amplify the signal from the device a lot more before it can go to a speaker. I've seen mp3 players power small speakers by themselves, but massive drain on the battery and all.

Through the amp and into the cab, yes definitely.
Not without a power amp of some sort. You could plug your iPod into your effects return, for instance, but keep in mind if you're using a guitar cabinet, you'll have to watch the bass frequencies.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
You could do that, but it wouldn't make any sound.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
can you plug your i pod into the effects return and it works the same as if it had a mp3/cd input??
it wouldn't work the same as an aux input, but yes you would now be able to hear something. However, the bass frequencies and bass drum pedal will destroy you've speakers prematurely.
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Using the FX return will work, but like Raijouta said, you'll need to watch the bass so you don't potentially damage your speakers.
Oh, and it will sound pretty bad anyway. A tube power amp and guitar cab combination is pretty far from a flat frequency response, so you'll get a fair bit of colouration.
Cheers!
Gear:
Fender American Standard Strat
Zoom G5
Blackstar HT1 mini stack

Epiphone G400 SG Goth / with Emg 81 +85
LP kit
Jackson RR24m
Jackson Dk2M
Maton EM225c
Bugera 333XL
Randall RA412XL