when i solo all i can do naturally is pentatonics its hard for me to do anything besides that im trying out def. scales but idk...any advise how to lay off the pentatonics...and also any advise on coming up with solos for songs? thx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKbPIGnqt80

watch part 1 and part 2 of this video and then pick a mode and figure it out all over the neck(id recommend stayin in E until you figure it out and are comfortable with it) then just start shreddin all over the place with it.

thats what got me to stop using pentatonics almost completely

my favorite is phrygian btw
Learn alternate scales, such as the phrygian dominant and the diminished for starters, also learnt he gypsy jazz scale django uses (youll have to figure his one out yourself, theres nothing on the net)

pentationics miss out the 2 and the 6. add them back it. learn to tap and if its to your preference, sweep. learn relative major/minor scales: you already know them, you just havent learnt it yet. learn arpeggios. lots and lots of arpeggios.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by rickyj
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKbPIGnqt80

watch part 1 and part 2 of this video and then pick a mode and figure it out all over the neck(id recommend stayin in E until you figure it out and are comfortable with it) then just start shreddin all over the place with it.

thats what got me to stop using pentatonics almost completely

my favorite is phrygian btw

Thanks ill try it out...im just starting to learn phrygian....any tips on sitting down to create a solo...(not improv)
Think more about what you're playing - decide what other sounds you want to hear in your solos and start using them.

You don't really need to learn any other scales to change things, after all every note you'll ever want is already there on your guitar, you just need to start using them. Your problem is you're not thinking about what you play, your simply moving your fingers through familiar patterns.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Think more about what you're playing - decide what other sounds you want to hear in your solos and start using them.

You don't really need to learn any other scales to change things, after all every note you'll ever want is already there on your guitar, you just need to start using them. Your problem is you're not thinking about what you play, your simply moving your fingers through familiar patterns.

thanks for the advise..ha that really does sound exactly like what im doing im gonna stop it though thanks
I always end up jamming with the minor pentatonic, can start with any scale but always end up running short and going back to the pentatonic lol. If I feel i'm playing it too much I just add the "blue" note and play around with the blues scale - just one extra note but makes it sound more interesting.
Quote by mendes0010
Thanks ill try it out...im just starting to learn phrygian....any tips on sitting down to create a solo...(not improv)

try to play it all over the neck not just in that first box that we all tend to play in constantly

also because there is 3 notes per string(most of the time) you can play much faster than you can with a scale with 2 notes per string. so that opens up being able to shred much easier and you can do long runs along the neck easier.

heres a 1 string run u can practice in e phrygian on the high e string to get the hang of the notes. you can do the same pattern on any string if you start on the right note

e -15-13-12-10--13-12-10-8--12-10-8-7--10-8-7-5--8-7-5-3--7-5-3-1--5-3-1-0--
Quote by Calibos
I always end up jamming with the minor pentatonic, can start with any scale but always end up running short and going back to the pentatonic lol. If I feel i'm playing it too much I just add the "blue" note and play around with the blues scale - just one extra note but makes it sound more interesting.

yeah im trying to keep pentatonics on reserve only bust it out every now and then cuz i play it ALOT ha
Quote by rickyj
try to play it all over the neck not just in that first box that we all tend to play in constantly

also because there is 3 notes per string(most of the time) you can play much faster than you can with a scale with 2 notes per string. so that opens up being able to shred much easier and you can do long runs along the neck easier.

heres a 1 string run u can practice in e phrygian on the high e string to get the hang of the notes. you can do the same pattern on any string if you start on the right note

e -15-13-12-10--13-12-10-8--12-10-8-7--10-8-7-5--8-7-5-3--7-5-3-1--5-3-1-0--

yeah thats good cuz im trying to incorperate phrygian in my solos to get that thrashy kinda sound that and harmonic i guess i just gotta get used to the scales the way i did pentatonic idk
Quote by mendes0010
yeah thats good cuz im trying to incorperate phrygian in my solos to get that thrashy kinda sound that and harmonic i guess i just gotta get used to the scales the way i did pentatonic idk

ill tell u how i figure out the positions

if you followed those lessons rob(hes got a sweet channel btw, alot of good lessons) showed you that 1 position of the scale.

e|--------------------
B|--------------------
G|-------------2-4-5
D|------2-3-5-------
A|--3-5--------------
E|--------------------

to help figure out the pattern all over the neck figure out the 1st position of the scale first(the one that the root note is the first note on the E strings).

since your playing in e it will be the E note at the 12th fret(or the open string, just play it at the 12th so that you can figure out the pattern going down the neck)

the d string in the scale above already gave you the first 3 notes on both e strings

e|--12-13-15
E|--12-13-15

continuing the pattern u get the a string

e|--12-13-15
A|--12-14-15
E|--12-13-15

looking at the g string of the first pattern u can get the first 3 notes on the d string because you know the octaves

e|--12-13-15
D|--12-14-15
A|--12-14-15
E|--12-13-15

keep looking at the notes and ull get the other 2 strings

e|--12-13-15
B|--12-13-15
G|--12-14----
D|--12-14-15
A|--12-14-15
E|--12-13-15

so since you've got all the notes you can get all the other positions the same way
Quote by rickyj
ill tell u how i figure out the positions

if you followed those lessons rob(hes got a sweet channel btw, alot of good lessons) showed you that 1 position of the scale.

e|--------------------
B|--------------------
G|-------------2-4-5
D|------2-3-5-------
A|--3-5--------------
E|--------------------

to help figure out the pattern all over the neck figure out the 1st position of the scale first(the one that the root note is the first note on the E strings).

since your playing in e it will be the E note at the 12th fret(or the open string, just play it at the 12th so that you can figure out the pattern going down the neck)

the d string in the scale above already gave you the first 3 notes on both e strings

e|--12-13-15
E|--12-13-15

continuing the pattern u get the a string

e|--12-13-15
A|--12-14-15
E|--12-13-15

looking at the g string of the first pattern u can get the first 3 notes on the d string because you know the octaves

e|--12-13-15
D|--12-14-15
A|--12-14-15
E|--12-13-15

keep looking at the notes and ull get the other 2 strings

e|--12-13-15
B|--12-13-15
G|--12-14----
D|--12-14-15
A|--12-14-15
E|--12-13-15

so since you've got all the notes you can get all the other positions the same way

thanks this should definitely help
Quote by rickyj
no problem have fun shreddin

thanks 1 quick question is there any difference between phrygian and phrygian dominant or is it just another name?...im gettin the phrygian dominant scale down pretty well
Why you would learn modes before learning the major and minor scales is beyond me. Most songs don't even use modes :P
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Also good to learn scales on only one string and work up and down the neck linking various patterns that way.
If you can't make a good sounding solo with the pentatonic scale, how do you want to use modes?

There are so many legendary solos, songs and artists that have based their entire careers off of the pentatonic scale, it's in the way you use it.
Quote by mendes0010
when i solo all i can do naturally is pentatonics its hard for me to do anything besides that im trying out def. scales but idk...any advise how to lay off the pentatonics...and also any advise on coming up with solos for songs? thx

Well do you know how chords and scales work? You can very well function by blurring all over a progression by running the same scales into the ground if you like, but at some point many people evolve from there, and care more about the way they sound.

Do you know, (in terms of being able to use and recall this information on the fly)

...all the chords in every key?

....the notes that make up every chord? Like if you were playing a C#min add 9 and I asked you to tell me the notes, would you say "C# E G# D#"? Or would you look at me like I just spoke to you in a foreign language?

Notes and chords go together. To become fluent in soloing, know what your doing when you solo. Understand that relationship to the point where you can make immediate use of it on the fly.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
Well do you know how chords and scales work? You can very well function by blurring all over a progression by running the same scales into the ground if you like, but at some point many people evolve from there, and care more about the way they sound.

Do you know, (in terms of being able to use and recall this information on the fly)

...all the chords in every key?

....the notes that make up every chord? Like if you were playing a C#min add 9 and I asked you to tell me the notes, would you say "C# E G# D#"? Or would you look at me like I just spoke to you in a foreign language?

Notes and chords go together. To become fluent in soloing, know what your doing when you solo. Understand that relationship to the point where you can make immediate use of it on the fly.

Best,

Sean

yeah Ive gotta get better in that too theres alot that goes into it that i haven't gotten into but i think that will definitely help thanks
listen to sean0913, thats whats up. you don't necessarily have to plan out every little thing you're going to do, but you definitely want to keep up and remember where your chord progression has come from, is and is going to.