iv been playing guitar for years but im relatively new to bass and i was wondering if anyone could recommend me some long lasting strings.i was playing a gig last night and managed to break the E and A i only changed the strings 2 weeks ago and me being the idiot i am didnt bring any spares i was using dunlop 45-105
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by Eggmond
iv been playing guitar for years but im relatively new to bass and i was wondering if anyone could recommend me some long lasting strings.i was playing a gig last night and managed to break the E and A i only changed the strings 2 weeks ago and me being the idiot i am didnt bring any spares i was using dunlop 45-105

If you managed to break 2 strings in one gig then:

1. You're doing it wrong.
2. You're the Incredible Hulk
3. There's a sharp bit on your bass. Somewhere on the frets, bridge, nut, tuners, etc.

As for long lasting tone you can get Elixirs or other coated strings. Flatwounds will last an eternity if you don't break them but you have to like the tone.
i dont really like the tone of flatwounds and i checked the bridge for damage and it seemed fine.the strings that were on the bass when i got it (i dont know what they were,i didnt buy it) never broke and i only changed them after a few months cos they were starting to rust and the tone was gone
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

you managed to snap bass strings... you sir, ARE the incredible hulk.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Breaking a bass' string while playing is very rare.

As for sound:
Flatwounds indeed last longer, because there's less space between the 'layers', so less dirt (oil and grease from your fingers, dust) can stay in there. But not everyone likes their sound and feel.

What also helps a lot, is to wash your hands every time before you play, and to let other people wash their hand before they touch your strings. This way the stirings don't get dirty so fast and last longer.
It's always funny when this comes up once in awhile. As I've said before, I sometimes play on my strings incredibly hard and have never come close to breaking one. Instead of just buying different strings, you should really sit down and try to recreate what happened and figure out why your strings broke. There must be something faulty.
What concerns me is that there was this comment you made about your strings "rusting".

I agree with Lazarus Bird, there is something faulty and check where you are storing your bass. While normal skin oils will discolour a string, they don't normally rust the string. How humid is it in the area where you are storing your bass?

For keeping decent tone, I find that Stadium Elites last a good long time as do Roto 66s
Where did the string break? Did it snap at the bridge? The nut? The tuning peg? Or did you somehow miraculously manage to break it in the middle?

If it broke at the bridge, you may have a sharp point or edge on one or more of your bridge saddles. A break near the headstock indicates something is wrong with your nut (sharp edges, poorly cut), or tuning machines.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
well it was more discolouration rather than rusting

they both broke at the saddle
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

the cores broke and the windings stayed intact
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

That sounds like faulty strings to me. Just buy any from a known manufacturer, like Ernie Ball or something, and they shouldn't break like those ones.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by kinah17
not everyone likes their sound and feel.

I never said get Ernie Ball strings, I said get strings made by a large and well known manufacturer such as Ernie Ball.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
My band thought I was too br00tal when I broke my low B, then I sadly explained to them that it is because my strings were kinda old and saddle isn't designed to handle a B string (all of the saddles are the same.. which isn't right). Yay for cheap 5-string basses!.

On string length, my rotos last like forever, tonally. I can't tell if they'd last really last like that forever because my bass will snap a string if it is on there for more than a year, so I change them accordingly. I hear stadium elites last ages too.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by Bassist Rising
I never said get Ernie Ball strings, I said get strings made by a large and well known manufacturer such as Ernie Ball.

Its an adbot..banned and edited..
Faulty strings. Personally I love DR Hi-beams, but it depends on what music you play, if you like the tone, and if you want to pay a billion dollars for strings.