Since I don't have much time and money for a teacher , I want a recommendation for a theory book... something that will get me better...
It can be Jazz / Blues / Rock / Reggae style theory...

Thanks !
jazz: the real books. theyre big volumes, quite pricey, but worth it. http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/0334540/details.html the jazz real book is ≥ god

http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/058619/details.html?kbid=1582
blues^

EDIT: also, just ask at a guitar shop about beginner dvds, bring about £30, and get yourself a few. learn and practise, even if the dvd's go over the same topics a couple of times. :Smile:
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Aug 13, 2010,
Quote by Sandman61
these books, do they teach songs only or theory also?

mainly theory; songs can be found on UG: just dont try learning hard stuff. learn stuff like...

smalls like teen spirit- nirvana
james bond theme
time of your life - green day
smoke on the water - deep purple.

but um, if youre in a guitar shop, NEVER play any of these when trying out a guitar.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
A Modern Method for Guitar by William Leavitt
Volume 1 and Volume 2

or maybe just get 1 then 2 a while later
comes with a cd to play along to.

Also, volume 3...... and then you'll be better than 95% of guitarists at theory...
Last edited by Knucklehead Dyl at Aug 13, 2010,
Quote by Knucklehead Dyl
A Modern Method for Guitar by William Leavitt
Volume 1 and Volume 2

or maybe just get 1 then 2 a while later
comes with a cd to play along to.

Also, volume 3...... and then you'll be better than 95% of guitarists at theory...

Agreed 100%. If you make it to volume 3 you will be heads and tails above most guitarists here.

Volumes 1 & 2 will provide such a strong foundation in guitar playing it will blow your mind. It requires a lot of dedication and repetition but it's 1000x better than any "miracle system" or other widely advertised avenue of getting good at guitar.
No, no, no, no. If you're serious about learning Music Theory, DO NOT buy a book advertised for guitarists. 19/20 times they are total shit.

For the absolute basics, just go to musictheory.net.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Eastwinn
No, no, no, no. If you're serious about learning Music Theory, DO NOT buy a book advertised for guitarists. 19/20 times they are total shit.

For the absolute basics, just go to musictheory.net.

/disagree.

William Leavitt designed the guitar curriculum at Berklee College of Music. He is by far one of the greatest guitar teachers to have ever lived. Music Theory.net is incredibly topical and in many cases (Neapolitan chords anyone?) irrelevant to contemporary music. Don't be afraid to buy a book from a very legitimate author.
Quote by Windwaker
/disagree.

William Leavitt designed the guitar curriculum at Berklee College of Music. He is by far one of the greatest guitar teachers to have ever lived. Music Theory.net is incredibly topical and in many cases (Neapolitan chords anyone?) irrelevant to contemporary music. Don't be afraid to buy a book from a very legitimate author.

Neapolitan chords are definitely not irrelevant. It's strange that the author decided to include them before probably 10 other more important things, but everything before that point is golden.

See, I said 19/20. That's a figure I pulled out of my ass, but it served to illustrate that good books exist that are advertised for guitarists. Unfortunately I don't know every book of that type written so I dismiss them in a way justified mostly by pure probability, and slightly by a calloused apathy. In my experience, most books for guitarists are short-sighted and inaccurate. If you really think this book is great, than the TS will probably receive your recommendation. My recommendation is to learn the basics on the internet. It's free! Then, dive deeper with a more esteemed book like Walter Piston's Harmony or Aldwell and Schachters's Harmony and Voice Leading. Those will cost you a pretty penny if you don't like reading pdf scans of them on your computer, but it's worth it.
i don't know why i feel so dry
I know of no good books on Guitar based Theory. You may be left with the school of do-it-yourself until your situation changes. Also can you sightread music? Almost every theory based course will require you reading and following musical notation.

You can try these free music theory sites that people suggested for you, thats about all I know of as far as your available freebie options.

Best,

Sean