Page 1 of 2
Which is better?

From my experience stiff picks have been better for really heavy metal rhythm riffs and thin picks have been better for more technical lead guitar stuff like sweep picking, fast alternate picking on the thin strings, string skipping etc.
Last edited by Stringz of Fury at Aug 13, 2010,
Picks are all personal preference.

inb4 a squillion Jazz III posts.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Depends mostly on what feels comfortable but heavier picks give a chuggier sound on the low strings and thin ones (i find) are easier to use on the higher strings like you said. I use a medium pick mainly though as i switch between rhythm and lead quite a lot. Thin picks are better for acoustic though thats for sure
My Guitars:
Epiphone Flying V
Westfield SG
Laney Lc15110 230 G Tube Combo 15W
Presonus Audiobox USB

check out http://soundcloud.com/
eddiechance
thick picks are a must if your going to play extremely fast solos. and a thick pick lets you play as hard or light as you want to on the lower strings

with a thinner pick you have less control
i use a mix of jazz 3 for leads and chugga palm muted riffing, jazz 2 for more rhythm stuff thats more open with less muting. and then normal thing jim dunlops 0.6mm for acoustic and sparkly clean electric songs.

its all personal preferance, and tuning, and string gauge etc that will make one pick give a better tone/sound. plus your holding it, so use whats cumfy.
i like thick picks for everything except acoustic strumming because i like the sound that thin bendy picks make when you strum an acoustic - i hate the feel of thin bendy picks though. horses for courses.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by rickyj
thick picks are a must if your going to play extremely fast solos. and a thick pick lets you play as hard or light as you want to on the lower strings

with a thinner pick you have less control

i don't know dude Paul Gilbert uses .60 mm picks and hes pretty damn fast
I like to have control on what am I playing being it riff or a solo so I prefer thick ones.
I hate that noise you get when shredding with the thin ones but they're the only choice on the acoustic guitars.
Spiders
Quote by Stringz of Fury

im not saying you cant play fast without a thick pick, im just saying from my experience its alot easier.
Quote by rickyj
im not saying you cant play fast without a thick pick, im just saying from my experience its alot easier.

oh ok
It's all preference. Use whatever is most comfortable for you.

I'm an original little f*cker, using Jazz IIIs for everything I play.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
I personally use super thick picks, but it's a preference. It also depends on your genre and string gauge though...
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
I find .73mm picks to be the best all around picks regardless off whether it's for strumming or fast lead breaks. As said before it's all a matter of taste and personal technique. Use what feels best to you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Colgate vs Aquafresh.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
I carry a set of picks for different uses...
If I'm playing metal or blues, I use a stubby, or my Jazz III.
Mostly use my Jazz III when playing acoustic.
When I'm just jamming around, or playing chords... I use a .73 Nylon...
Quote by Stringz of Fury

But even Paul has said it is harder to pick fast with a thin pick but they make better pick scrapes
Gear
Ibanez RG350EX
Encore E9
BB Blaster

I like Llamas
Paul Gilbert is Paul Gilbert.
You are you.

The only way to get better at the guitar is to practice, just use the pick that you like the feel of.

It's actually really depressing that people even ask questions like this. Where did all the common sense go in this world?
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
I tend to use .73 nylons for acoustic and .88 nylons for electric. I can play pretty fast on .73 but I like the control that .88 gives, plus it doesn't feel like you're strumming with a door stop wedge.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I have a bowl full of picks.....various thickness, materials, flexibility. We also have ten fingers

Experiment. It's been said many times... little changes the character of your playing more than a different 25 cent pick.

The only place I 'need' a specific thickness is for fast tremelo picking such as in Surf music. Otherwise pick thickness is more to do with sound....guys like Mark Knopfler don't use a pick (I often don't either).

bottom line...get a 'bunch' and experiment.

(besides, you need a 'bunch' because ....hey, where's my pick...can't find the darn thing...how could it disappear ....

My favorite

I love thick picks, more control imo.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
I used to love Jazz IIIs. Now I can't stand them. They're horrible.

The only picks I use now are Planet Waves' Duralins. Last longer than Tortex (I'll wear out a 1.14mm in like 3 hours), and feel better than Tortex for me. More grippy, too.

Also, thick picks ftw. I pick way too hard for flaccid plectrums.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
I'm way too hard to stay flacid.
i just fold up pieces of paper into a triangle until theyre about 1.5 mm thick
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I use an elephant's tusk, a whole one.
Buy em all and pick which one is most comfortable. It's the only way.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by Cathbard
I find .73mm picks to be the best all around picks regardless off whether it's for strumming or fast lead breaks. As said before it's all a matter of taste and personal technique. Use what feels best to you.

This - I used to use super thin picks, but I ran through them fast - I'm a really heavy strummer, and they break easily.
i use the black Jazz 3 XL's. good fit in my fingers. amazing life span, and very comfortable. when it comes to acoustic, anything under .72.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Am I the only one who doesn't like Jazz III's? I tried one, and it was like trying to bridge a chasm with a ruler instead of a bridge.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
I hate them.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
I tend to use medium thickness dunlops for electric work, but the really thin Gibson triangular picks for my main acoustic playing.

I found the thin pick is for looser playing, when accuracy doesn't matter as much. a med/thicker pick if I need to hit the right strings all the time!

And yeah, can't abide jazz III's. Far too small and fiddly!
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Last edited by Joeval at Aug 13, 2010,
Don't listen to anyone who says "You need this kind of pick to do this".

Picks are completely personal preference, along with almost everything guitar related.

Its generally accepted that thicker picks give you more control, and allow you to play more technically, but if you like thin picks, then those are the picks for you.

For example, I use the Tortex Jazz III picks for everything...I don't like the flimsy clumsy feel of large and thin picks, so I even use my Tortex Jazz IIIs for acoustic and clean playing.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Like pretty much what everyone else said, it's all personal preference. I prefer thick picks now and have been using them for over a year. When I was first learning guitar, I used much thinner picks. I steadily got into thicker and thicker picks to the point that now I can't really stand to play anything that's too floppy.
I'm a Tortex Jazz III guy, but i'm using my old green Tortexes more often now. I like the thinner Yellow ones (first picks I ever got in bulk) for acoustic playing.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
2+mm stainless steel picks FTMFW.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
I only use heavy picks. I can't stand using anything else... I'm no shredder though.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
I use a heavy mid boost with my amp, and because of that, I have to play as cleanly as possible. I use Tortex Sharp 1.18 and .88. When I use other picks, my playing becomes a bit muffled.

Edit: I play jazz, blues, classic rock, and Vai/Satch stuff.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
I use the Jazz III's or Stubby 2mm's (small ones) usually.
My favourite pick is the Jazz III Ultex though. But it's impossible to find in stores where i live, and i lost mine

I mainly like thick picks because of the sound they produce. Thin picks makes lots of stringnoise... The thick stubby's give a slightly brighter sound than the Jazz III's though (except the Jazz III Ultex which is very balanced, and that's why i liked it so much).
Guitar: Gibson Slash Les Paul Standard USA 2008
Pickups: Seymour Duncan Alnico-II Pro (APH-1)
Amps: Vox Night Train + V112NT - Vox Valvetronix VT30 - Vox AmPlug AC30
Strings: Elixir Nanoweb 10-46
Picks: Jim Dunlop: Jazz III / Stubby 2mm
Page 1 of 2