Ive been playing around with a guitar for a few years off and on. Im still very much a beginner. I have a newfound interest in music again and I want to start getting serious. I play mainly rock/metal. Where do I start? What should I focus more on? What do I need to learn first
Be more specific.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
in my opinion try altrnate picking or economy picking they are the basics (kind of)

Also tapping, or even sweeping you can do anything if you basically know what to do for example:

with sweeping you know you need to sweep the pick across the string and mute each note before the next. Then all you need is a lick or something with picking directions then you just practice it slow for a while and you should be able to sweep with a decent sound. Even a beginner can learn stuff advanced.
Quote by Livingtime
in my opinion try altrnate picking or economy picking they are the basics (kind of)

Also tapping, or even sweeping you can do anything if you basically know what to do for example:

with sweeping you know you need to sweep the pick across the string and mute each note before the next. Then all you need is a lick or something with picking directions then you just practice it slow for a while and you should be able to sweep with a decent sound. Even a beginner can learn stuff advanced.

I couldn't agree more. Advanced techniques need to be learned quickly IMO because once you get "set" in a specific way of playing then introducing advanced techniques like sweeping will throw you off because you haven't been doing it. For alternate/economy picking you should try the following exercise that I recommend to everyone because it helped me IMMENSELY. Keep in mind I hate exercises but this one is good and even though it's just a chromatic scale it sounds somewhat musical and you can build speed quickly. Keep in mind that in the video the tempo is 95bpm and he is playing 4 notes per beat so it's pretty fast. You may need to slow it down. This is for alternate picking. There are plenty of other good videos and lessons on sweeping out there and especially right here on UG. Have fun!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7bAtoSAODw

You can work through this then progress if you wish or move on to songs but incorporate this cause it will help with speed and accuracy.

Ibanez SGT520VS Sage Series Acoustic
Yamaha FG720S-12 12 String Acoustic
Schecter C-1 Classic
Crate Flexwave FW65 Combo Amp