Page 1 of 2
i have been played acoustic guitar about 6month....and i already know how to change the chord and can play the chord smoothly...

but my friend told me that playing acoustic music on electric guitar was much more easier and comfortable than playing acoustic guitar....

i am planning to buy a cheap electric guitar and a orange micro crush pix amp...

how you all think?need some opinion...should i buy a electric guitar or just continue playing acoustic...

sorry for my english..
Last edited by firefire123 at Aug 13, 2010,
Stick to the acoustic guitar for uh..."acoustical" music and get a electric guitar to mix things up a bit if you want to play different kinds of genres
I don't think it's really practical to buy an electric guitar just for it to sound like an acoustic
Depends what you want to do. If you want your playing to be more versatile, buy an electric. If you like playing acoustic and like how it sounds, keep playing acoustic.
"Playing acoustic on electric guitar" isn't really possible. Acoustic isn't really a style of music, it's just the way the guitar is made. I'm not really sure what it is you meant by this.

Do you mean should you get an electric guitar to play mellow chord-type stuff? If so, yeah I would. It's fairly easy to get a good clean tone from any amp, and the thinner body and the more forgiving string tension of an electric guitar should be more comfortable for you.

Just be aware, it's not really going to sound the same. Acoustic guitars have a voice that isn't easily reproduced with an electric guitar.
Gear:
Agile Septor Pro 727 EB Nat Ash
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 Head
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
Electrics can't "play acoustic".You can substitute the acoustic guitar with a strat or something with an equally good clean tone for a gig or something at times but's it's hardly the same.
If you could reason with religious people,there would be no religious people.
Well the music wont really sound acoustic on electric guitar so I'd say stick to acoustic guitar. It is however, easier to play on an electric guitar.

i am planning to buy a cheap electric guitar

If you are going to buy an electric, make sure it is not really cheap because if it is, then there's a big chance that it'll sound crap. Go a couple from the bottom of the range if you don't wanna spend a lot if you know what I mean.
Gear:

Squier Tele Custom ii (p90 version)

Orange Crush 10

Fender CD140S
is possible to get a acoustic sound on an electric using a Boss AC2 acoustic simulator but in order to use it you need a electric amp and an acoustic amp
Quote by obeythepenguin
Again, pure bullshit, and I'll say why in four words: It's called a setup.

Dude... I'm talking about stuff like how you don't need to hold down the strings as hard to get a clean sound.
Gear:

Squier Tele Custom ii (p90 version)

Orange Crush 10

Fender CD140S
Quote by obeythepenguin
Again, pure bullshit, and I'll say why in four words: It's called a setup.

Relax, internet tough guy. Acoustics have bulky bodies that make it uncomfortable for some people to get their arm around, thus the thinner body of the electric might make things a bit easier for some.

Next I'm sure you'll go about linking me to one of those thin-body acoustic guitars just to prove me wrong, so I'll just preemptively swat that down right now. Thin-body acoustics are much more rare than normal acoustics (though still quite possible to find on the internet,) and they produce a much thinner sound in comparison to the normal acoustic.
Gear:
Agile Septor Pro 727 EB Nat Ash
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 Head
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
FWIW TS, anything you can play on acoustic you can play on electric.

Regardless of what's "easier", you should use an acoustic or an electric depending on what you want to sound like.

If I were you, I would try out an electric, and see if you like it, before you go and buy one.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Most of us start out on an acoustic, even if our goal is to play electric. If you set your amp up clean, you will be able to play "most" acoustic music fairly well on electric. It's really up to you what you feel comfortable playing. IMO, my electric is alot easier to handle and set up and feel, and you have alot more versatility. It's really up to you what you prefer.
Last edited by Rt1Rebel at Aug 13, 2010,
Quote by Jsteele1408
Relax, internet tough guy. Acoustics have bulky bodies that make it uncomfortable for some people to get their arm around, thus the thinner body of the electric might make things a bit easier for some.

Next I'm sure you'll go about linking me to one of those thin-body acoustic guitars just to prove me wrong, so I'll just preemptively swat that down right now. Thin-body acoustics are much more rare than normal acoustics (though still quite possible to find on the internet,) and they produce a much thinner sound in comparison to the normal acoustic.

you are right...
sx guitar ok is it?what characteristic of electric guitar i should buy to play acoustic music?
You probably need to get a single coils guitar, and an amp that has an acoustic effect, something like ... well I dunno, all that I can think off right now is the Roland Micro Cube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qSf0mYO3R4 ( around 0:35 )
Or you can get an ordinary amp with a good clean sound and an acoustic effect pedal

And it's really great to play acoustic on an electric guitar, it gives you the ability to reach sharp notes ( 14 --> 22 or 24 frets ), you can do a lot of things the sound, and use a lot of effects like delay, reverb, trem, wah wah, fade out .... without affecting the acoustic sound
Last edited by Ramwen at Aug 14, 2010,
WHAT type of music do you Play????

if you play rock, Metal, anything needing an electric sound...

then YES buy an electric.

if you want to buy an electric then...

WHAT's you're budget????

nothing else matters. what's easiest to play is a matter of opinion.
what works best for your type of music, is a fact.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565

WHAT's you're budget????

+X^0 for needed info.

Although technically, you can simplify it and just recommend some kind of Schecter. Yes?

Quote by jj1565

WHAT's you're budget????

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
electric guitars are generally easier to play than acoustic guitar

you can play acoustic songs on electric...wont sound like an acoustic but wll still sound nices
Quote by jj1565

WHAT's you're budget????

+8
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
You can't really do that TS.
You can play songs that were made for acoustic on electric, but it's not gonna be the same.
I would say to just buy an electric so you can play plugged in.

Also IMO it's more important to be able to play well on an acoustic than on an electric. If you can sound nice on an acoustic it's a guarantee that you'll sound good on anything.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
yeah playing acoustic is good practice for when you're trying to keep the noise down when playing high gain br00tz
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
or buy a hollowbody prs with piezo's. that does a good acoustic tone, on an electric.

but if your budget is less than $2K, you are pretty much s.o.l. on that one.
Quote by gregs1020
or buy a hollowbody prs with piezo's. that does a good acoustic tone, on an electric.

but if your budget is less than $2K, you are pretty much s.o.l. on that one.

Or he could buy a hollowbody Ibanez, or Epi, and install the peizo himself. I think Ibanez hollowbodies go for as low as $400 new, and peizos are $5 normally.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Or he could buy a hollowbody Ibanez, or Epi, and install the peizo himself. I think Ibanez hollowbodies go for as low as $400 new, and peizos are $5 normally.

wat

Where the **** have you seen a piezo pickup for $5? That's the stupidest shit I've ever heard. And do you know how hard it is to install a piezo system worth having on a hollow body? You'd spend close to the cost of the Priss mentioned on the installation alone. Stupid idea is stupid.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Ippon
+X^0 for needed info.

Although technically, you can simplify it and just recommend some kind of Schecter. Yes?

I wouldn't recommend a schecter to anyone lol....I know I'll go get my helmet now
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by obeythepenguin

My problem isn't with reasonable statements like that -- I'm actually the other way around; I can't play solidbodies at all. My problem is with people who make sweeping generalizations like "electric is easier to play," without supporting the argument at all.

I've been reading these posts and I'm starting to feel like an idiot because while I'm not saying im the greatest guitarist ever or nothing but I can play my far share of yngwie/vai style stuff and I can't play anything like that on acoustic not even cliche blue licks..I can't think of anything to support my argument of it being easier so its prolly just cause I stink at acoustic?

Electric has always been easier to me. Don't know if it's the steel strings or what, but I love the way an electric plays.

But while you can play the same songs on an electric, it's not the same feel or sound at all. Acoustic simulating effects are cool, but nowhere near as fun.

I think anyone who like playing both acoustic and electric music should have both types of guitar.
Quote by obeythepenguin
Well, electric and acoustic are really two entirely different instruments that both happen to be guitars. The techniques and chords and tunings are the same, but there's all sorts of little details like phrasing. My main guitar is a 12-string acoustic, so even on my electric work, you'll notice a lot of 12-string idioms like heavy G string use for soloing. On the other hand, you won't hear many power chords, or single-note riffs, or anything much on the upper frets.

An acoustic isn't ideally suited for Yngwie style stuff any more than an electric is for percussive body tapping. I'm sure you could try, but those styles are quite idiomatic of their respective instruments. (I probably sound snooty and pretentious now, but "idiom" is just a fun word to say.)

If you personally find electric easier to play, there's nothing wrong with that. You don't need to justify personal preference! I'm just saying you shouldn't say things like "all guitarists find electric easier to play," unless you're able/willing to back it up. Eh, but I'm just a pedantic English major who's taken one too many math classes for his own good.

By far the best advice in the thread.

No I totally understand what your saying...up until a few months ago I had a bi-weekly gig for years playing with my nephew on acoustics at a nearby bar and grill. Anyways ,when I first started doing it I was just doing it for the easy cash but then I really started to get into it.I felt really good about doing some stuff like city and colour songs (where's there's not much demand for chops) but when we did some ac/dc,BTO,led zep,etc I wanted to jam a bit but its just not happening.and its not the strings cause I'm used to heavy gauge strings,I watch SRV unplugged and stuff like that and it blows me away how he can play the licks so smoothly and its not even the super tech stuff...oh well I'm just venting I guess.that's why I like taking advantage of both electric and acoustic

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13

yea my post wasn't really accurate, i will admit that. there are other options, the epi ultra II has the acoustic pup and you could find those used for around $450. also ibanez makes an electric with a piezo. i've played the epi and it was pretty good imo.

i had a boss ac-2, it didn't really do it for me.

and no piezos aren't $5.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 16, 2010,
^or you could pick up my t5.

i think the TS abandoned the thread. but the conversation is quite riveting.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
^or you could pick up my t5.

i think the TS abandoned the thread. but the conversation is quite riveting.

hey i saw one for $1200 yesterday, that's as close to what you paid that i've found.

yea they get scared away pretty quick when you ask a question.
yep, yep
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by gregs1020
yea my post wasn't really accurate, i will admit that. there are other options, the epi ultra II has the acoustic pup and you could find those used for around $450. also ibanez makes an electric with a piezo. i've played the epi and it was pretty good imo.

i had a boss ac-2, it didn't really do it for me.

and no piezos aren't $5.

Oh shit that was a typo. I meant to say that I saw some for about $35. I guess I missed the key when I was typing.
I never knew epi made one with an acoustic pup built in. I might look into this.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by firefire123
i am back..

how to identify a good electric guitar? planning to buy one....

answer the questions asked of you so we can actually give you decent advice.
----acoustic,country....not sure yet----

WHAT's you're budget????
---in my country,my budget can get a washburn rx10 and rx12---
make sure you like your amp.

over here, a micro cube or a small vox practice amp usually work well for guys just starting out.

if you cheap out on the amp, then no matter what guitar you get, they'll all sound the same thru that amp. so make sure you're spending as much on the amp as you are on the guitar.

as for guitar, yes a tele or a strat sounds about right.

but make sure you get a fixed bridge.
make sure the guitar stays in tune for you, and that you like the feel of the guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I don't see why you could not switch over to an electric. There is not really much difference between the two, except the strings on an accoustic are thicker and not as easy to bend. I would say, Go for it!

ron666
Quote by obeythepenguin
Acoustic and electric guitars get entirely different sounds. While you can play the same notes on both, they aren't necessarily interchangeable.

You can get light gauge strings for acoustic. I actually have heavier strings on my electric right now (.013's, while my acoustic has .012's).

Well, of course they sound different. One is played through an amplifier, while the other is not. However, a song played on an electric can sound quite similar when played on an accoustic. Not exactly, but pretty close.

ron666
Page 1 of 2