just purchased a used Fender Squier-sounds perfectly intune in all major keys with the exception of a little buzzing on the first 3 strings at the 8th. fret. actually i know how to fix that-anyway i would like to know if i were to change the original pickups on this guitar-what would you folks suggest i replace them with-btw i play country/bluegrass style of music. thanks for any info.
Budget? GFS makes good quality pickups and they're pretty cheap.
Me and my girlfriend were in a guitar store one day.

My GF- What's the difference between Gibson and Epiphone?

Me- (Explains)

GF- So Epiphone is like Gibson's slutty little sister?

Me- I love you.
Schecter.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Schecter.

Helpful.

Anyway, is it a strat or a tele?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
texas specials are cool. if a strat
I'M GONNA GIVE YOU A BAD CASE OF SOMEONE SHOT ME IN THE HEAD!!!
OK, thanks for telling us. I didn't know. The reason for this is strats and teles don't use the same pickups; they're different.

What do you dislike about your pickups at the moment?

What is your amp?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by yodadax
texas specials are cool. if a strat

From what i hear the Seymour Duncan equivalent is better for the price. Just something to keep in mind when researching i guess if you go this route.
Quote by Slashestranged
It's not worth it. Squirts are made of dog shît

Does that include the amps?

TS: I'm no Squier hater, but I wouldn't go dumping a couple hundred bucks into the pick ups. Someone suggested GFS, and that would be a good idea; they have a good rep for the price. I upgraded my old Squier with StewMac pups (about $120 for all 3) and it sounded great.
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
Last edited by Ratraisin at Aug 13, 2010,
Quote by Ratraisin
Someone suggested GFS

That was me, the singer/other guitarist in my band has a set of GFS Boston Blues in his strat and they sound awesome. They cost him about $80 US for a set of three, and I think that's the most expensive they get. I'm looking into them for my guitars (two epis and a squier) after I upgrade my amp (I've got my fingers crossed for tommorow)

The big question here that I forgot to ask in my first post is what amp are you using? If you have a cheap modeling amp you won't get a big difference in your sound and you might be better off getting a new amp.
Me and my girlfriend were in a guitar store one day.

My GF- What's the difference between Gibson and Epiphone?

Me- (Explains)

GF- So Epiphone is like Gibson's slutty little sister?

Me- I love you.
Quote by Slashestranged
It's not worth it. Squirts are made of dog shît

What are Squirts?
Why the **** would you even consider changing the pickups on a $100 SQUIER?!
Quote by DLXJRVO
Why the **** would you even consider changing the pickups on a $100 SQUIER?!

Because modding (and learning to mod) is fun to those who want to learn? And do it without risking a $1k instrument? My Squier only cost $70 and I put $120 of pick ups in it because it made me happy to do so, and I began a learning process that has expanded to full builds, repairs, refurbishing, and just being able to converse intelligently. ...For example.
Good for you.

I buy used Squiers all the time....best guitars for the price on the market. they have good quality necks, frets, etc. also, no surprises in the 'guts' when doing mods.

Just a remark on changing pickups...with three pickups you don't need to change them all. For country 'flavor' a change in the bridge pickup might be all you are after.
Too many choices to list them all but I always go on line and listen to samples on youtube, etc.

I've learned to scavenge. A 'beater' guitar going for $40 can have $150 pickups on it...plus you might be left with a half dozen other good parts....body to practice finishing on...neck practice filing frets on, etc.