Hey there gigging Bassmongers of UG!

Just got back from the most fantastically set-up show. (sarcasm)

Anywho, I just thought we could share experiences that have made a gig suck for some reason or another. A kind of reminder that, hey, everyone has off days, there are bad sound guys out there, s**t happens and you'll feel fed up on the show, just no need to get hung up on it and make your next one awesome.

So here is the inspiring story that lead me to make this article.

So I'm in a two piece Death From Above Style.

Battle of the bands, we need some money to pay for a Video Clip we are filming, so hoping for at least second place, as the prize would fill it in nicely, practise up our best songs, get them tight and full of feel. They supply PA and amps so band change over is quick, fair enough. Get up there, set up all my pedals in a few seconds flat, ask where the DI is so I can run a dry through the mixer and I have a pedal that splits my signal so I just need the DI to the channel to which the sound guy says "Uhhh... whats a DI?" "DI Box, the thing you send acoustics and keyboards into the mixer with" "hold on" (set-up time does eat into performance time btw) he helps the drummer and comes back, "Yeah, dunno what a DI is, we don't have one" I'm slightly annoyed, until I see the bass amp I have to run through, a Behringer combo, 10 inch speaker, picked up by an SM58. After the first song I ask for a "shit tonne more" bass in my foldback as the amp isn't cutting, "I can't put it up it's from the amp" I say "Use the auxillery level for the foldback"... "What?". Time's a wastin' play the next song kneel down and push the tone knob on my fuzz pedal to way too bright, still Can't hear it, and it sounds like mud bubbling through a sea of no high end at all. I couldn't even tell if I was singing in tune.

I would say that was the worst gig I've ever played. Had a look at a recording, we played pretty decent, not our best but definitely not our worst playing by far. worst sounding however is another story.

Care to share you're gigging nightmares come to life, or just a nightmare?
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
First gig ever, I plug everything in, adrenaline rush, sound check; whispered farts. Seriously, if I pressed my ear to my cab, I could just about hear something when I hit my bass hard.

The sound guy ( you eddie if you ever read this) DI'd me into the PA from my multiFX and actually made me sound good. That's the worst so far (hopefully ever).
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at Aug 13, 2010,
Quote by gilly_90
First gig ever, I plug everything in, adrenaline rush, sound check; whispered farts. Seriously, if I pressed my ear to my cab, I could just about hear something when I hit my bass hard.

The sound guy ( you eddie if you ever read this) DI'd me into the PA from my multiFX and actually made me sound good. That's the worst so far (hopefully ever).

Well you had a sound guy who knew what a DI was... lucky haha.

find out what went wrong with the amp?
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by ZaccB
Well you had a sound guy who knew what a DI was... lucky haha.

find out what went wrong with the amp?

Got it home and it was fine, have gigged with it since with no problems. Very

It's a Hartke HA5500 too.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Quote by gilly_90
Got it home and it was fine, have gigged with it since with no problems. Very

It's a Hartke HA5500 too.

I know what happened, Exact same thing happened to me the HA2500 has the same schematics just less powerful, when you cranked the volume there was no change in the volume of the whispering fart?

You plugged the speaker out into the Effects loop...
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
First show ever. Battle of the Bands in our area. 9 bands, about a hundred people was the talk around town. I show up, so nervous I could have thrown up. But, I held it together to set up (we were first. Go figure.) I plug in my guitar and amp (simple set-up at the time) and... no sound. So, we worked on it a bit. Ahh! Sound! But... not the sound I wanted. Just feedback and feedback. It was so loud he said he would have to DI me (Keep in mind, we're a metalcore band. DI'ing an electric... not even a possiblity. Of course, I asked to use somebody else's amp. He said he'd disqualify me. Wtf.)
Anyhoo, borrowed a distortion pedal from my other guitarist and put my amp on tuner bypass. It helped the slightest bit. I also used his tuner as a mute for when I wasn't playing. Yeah, not cool. I later found out I was standing next to 2 breaker boxes for the whole venue. Coulda just told me to move...
So, we were ready to play. I look around... not a single other band, or person. Boxes of food and water bottles, not even opened in the back. Tons of tables set up for merch, and all empty. He said we'll wait a bit. To our surprise, 2 people show up (guy and girlfriend). We played our 6 songs I had to learn in 3 days. I got thrown into the band. So, needless to say, I forgot many parts and looked like a complete idiot. But, it was the one guys birthday. And we played for an hour and a half, doing every cover we knew and even fiddled around for a long time just improvising. Still my favorite show ever.
Quote by ZaccB
I know what happened, Exact same thing happened to me the HA2500 has the same schematics just less powerful, when you cranked the volume there was no change in the volume of the whispering fart?

You plugged the speaker out into the Effects loop...

you know that sounds just like me.

You're right, I probably did.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

this wasn't me as my only gig thus far went surpriingly well, but a show I was at was having trouple mic'ing the upright bass player. he tries for a while to get the thing sorted out and eventually just turns the bass OFF like completely killed it and goes, "punk bands don't need their bas player" I was like ....really guy?
no sir away a papaya war is on
Was playing a pretty legitimate show (opening for Daath, and Drowning Pool). It was kinda like 2 shows in one, local bands, then touring bands. Anyways, we're the band right before Daath and we had to share amps with the local bands to minimize the change time... Anyways, I was supposed to use the previous band's head, as he had used my cab... I get there, set up my pedals, look back.... No head.

I run off stage looking for him, he's no where to be seen... 30 seconds before we have to start, sound guy comes up and says just plug into this, it'll run you through the monitor. I did, and couldn't hear myself and was standing literally on top of the monitor. Oh well, tore it up anyways... Just had a panic attack 3 minutes before we had to play.

A few years earlier though, my band drove 5 hours to a show in like Shartsville Pennsylvania and we get there and it's some coffee shop... Anyway, 4 other awesome metal bands are lined up and we're all super intimidated (we were a bunch of 7th grade 'tallica worshipers and like all these dudes were in college and shit).. This is also the first show that I'm doing vocals in and I had never seen the lyrics. Needless to say, I did a lot of "blah blah argg" to the vocal pattern our old vocalist did..
We pulled out For Whom the Bell Tolls and Seek And Destroy, 2 of my favorite 'tallica songs at that time and forgot the words to that too... Had to hear this 5 year old girl complain about how "This bass player FORGOT THE WORDS TO FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS!! WHO DOES THAAT?!?!?!"
=/
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
well tonight i had a gig, and this bands bassist didnt show up, so they asked me to fill in for him. it was a crappy core band, and i just chugged the entire time. so much fun, but we sounded like shit.
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
One of my earlier gigs, back in my last cover band. Our drummer booked us the gig, and said we were playing an outdoor set for a not-so-local (about 30 miles away) farmers market, but he assured us there would be plenty of people there, and we were hired to provide some ambient music.

We get there, there's 8 booths, and maybe 80 people came through over the course of 7 hours, and we had brought overkill with the amps (me with an Ampeg SVT VR + 8x10 and the guitarists running two Mesa Triple Recs) so no one could turn up past 2 without disrupting the market. We recycled Sublime and Smashing Pumpkins covers for hours in the sun, for maybe 7 or 8 people at a time. Cool thing was that Benjamin Weikel was there in an odd coincidence.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
My P-bass sounded really farty and nasally one gig. I was twiddling with the EQ and couldn't notice any difference. At the end of the gig, I realised the EQ button on my amp was not pushed in. *sigh*
signature
Quote by King Of Suede
Was playing a pretty legitimate show (opening for Daath, and Drowning Pool). It was kinda like 2 shows in one, local bands, then touring bands. Anyways, we're the band right before Daath and we had to share amps with the local bands to minimize the change time... Anyways, I was supposed to use the previous band's head, as he had used my cab... I get there, set up my pedals, look back.... No head.

I run off stage looking for him, he's no where to be seen... 30 seconds before we have to start, sound guy comes up and says just plug into this, it'll run you through the monitor. I did, and couldn't hear myself and was standing literally on top of the monitor. Oh well, tore it up anyways... Just had a panic attack 3 minutes before we had to play.

A few years earlier though, my band drove 5 hours to a show in like Shartsville Pennsylvania and we get there and it's some coffee shop... Anyway, 4 other awesome metal bands are lined up and we're all super intimidated (we were a bunch of 7th grade 'tallica worshipers and like all these dudes were in college and shit).. This is also the first show that I'm doing vocals in and I had never seen the lyrics. Needless to say, I did a lot of "blah blah argg" to the vocal pattern our old vocalist did..
We pulled out For Whom the Bell Tolls and Seek And Destroy, 2 of my favorite 'tallica songs at that time and forgot the words to that too... Had to hear this 5 year old girl complain about how "This bass player FORGOT THE WORDS TO FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS!! WHO DOES THAAT?!?!?!"
=/

The first show I played, our singer forgot the words to Bell as well hahaha.
hmmmmm....hmmm......
Let's just say I've gotten very good at playing solidly with a band without any sort of monitoring. No in ears, no wedges, just listen for the drummer, know your part and hopefully everything falls in to place.

Now that I think about it it's all been good experience. Makes you lean on yourself.

Love the Low end
I used to play bass in my school's band. We were playing at a football game and for the half time show I didn't have to much time to get my stuff set up. I had to carry my 60 lb amp to the field by myself, with an extension cord running all the way to the back of the stands. As we're playing the first song I realize I'm not getting any sound so I figured the extension cord got unplugged. At the end of the song my teacher was pissed and she pointed out that my bass wasn't plugged into my amp.......lol I felt like the biggest idiot
my band used to play a ton of gigs through supernova...nuff said.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
First performance. talent show at sacramento jobcorps. About 100-130 ish people there. I have about 3 months exp. as a bassist, an off brand bass, and I'm nervous as hell. everyone I know, and everyone else is there, really. Me & the guitarist I played with were just jamming it out, and it went fine. BUT, there was a little problem. There were no large amps to use, so we had to use little practice ones, and set mics in front of them. They decided to start messing around with the sound system, and as soon as the guitarist starts his solo, no one can hear him so I had to jump in and do the solo till he could be heard again. Then as soon as he's back in the mix, I cut out. THEN, I'm pumped up so loud that I can only be heard unless you were in the front row.

It was a nightmare.
Last edited by SMbassist at Aug 15, 2010,
About 2-3 weeks ago, we had a gig where we were'nt allowed to set up our stuff (we still don't know why), for some reason, only the 2 sound guys could set equipment up, so we just went up on stage and found out that they plugged the singer/rhythm guitarist's guitar into the lead guitarists rig, and vice versa. But we didn't know this until part way into our first song. Now the big difference between their setups is that the lead guitarist has about 15 different pedals that he uses for the solo in the song we were playing (wah, octaver etc.) and the rhythm guitarist has 4 (Distortion, Fuzz, Volume and a tuner :s) and so, he had to play the solo with no effects added on at all. It sounds a lot worse without the effects...

Anyway after that they unplugged switched places, but when we finished the sound guys had a go at the singer for moving the mic stand, and they cut some of our money for 'breaking the venue's rules'.

A**holes.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom