Hey guys,

does anyone know how to replicate the wall of sound? Such as the ones found in most of the strapping young lad songs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwuReRw23_0&feature=channel

It seems to be like an overcompression of the sound. is there any method to replicate this?
Ive done a bit of searching and it seems to involve alot of tracks and quite a bit of reverb but i cant quite get the actual sounds to compress.

thanks in advance
i have a modest rig which consists of guitar related stuff
Member of the Laney Cult
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

my band : Fragments.
Buy an effects pedal that have presets for actual bands?

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades
ClaytonElgin
sorry, i shouldve clarified. its for recording purposes. not live playing... though that would be interesting to try to pull off
Member of the Laney Cult

Record each guitar track 8 times (so 16 guitar tracks), have 100+ effects / synths / loops / effects going on, a couple of vocal tracks and you're there... there's no easy way or replicate the sound or tone Devin Townsend has.
Last edited by Eryth at Aug 13, 2010,
just do a shitload of double tracks. by that i mean RErecording each track. not just shifting the one guitar out of phase.

And then EQ the guitars so there's that there's more bass... or if you want boost the treble too to get a mid scoop *i think i'm gunna be sick*. but then that leaves room (EQ wise) for the singer's midrange and guitar leads and shit. but totally ****s up ur bass and the drum kit.

But yeah, just track layering.
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by julzius
just do a shitload of double tracks. by that i mean RErecording each track. not just shifting the one guitar out of phase.

And then EQ the guitars so there's that there's more bass... or if you want boost the treble too to get a mid scoop *i think i'm gunna be sick*. but then that leaves room (EQ wise) for the singer's midrange and guitar leads and shit. but totally ****s up ur bass and the drum kit.

But yeah, just track layering.

cool. so i guess ill be recording the 1 second stretch of song about 16+ times then... thanks guys.

also, im not really trying to replicate the tone or sound. its just the overcompression thing that was really awesome =D
Member of the Laney Cult

He does compress alot, but not it's not neccessarily overcompression. The big sound comes from the multitude of guitar / bass tracks, and the many synths and other stuff that's constantly running through his shit. Take Skeksis for example, I've been told on the DT forums that the whole mix of the song had 70+ separate tracks!
OR... I use a reverb and delay into my distortion. Then EQ it and another reverb, from the amp. That way the trails from both distort, and then the eq punchifies it. Then the last reverb makes it more human when it dies off. This video and this band have some of the best I've heard:

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79pAXM4KI2Y&feature=channel

Band:

This Will Destroy You.
Period.
Quote by ASJerrell
OR... I use a reverb and delay into my distortion. Then EQ it and another reverb, from the amp. That way the trails from both distort, and then the eq punchifies it. Then the last reverb makes it more human when it dies off. This video and this band have some of the best I've heard:

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79pAXM4KI2Y&feature=channel

Band:

This Will Destroy You.
Period.

That tone was actually very reminiscent of the Ki tones Devin used! Nice job dude!
Quote by Eggmond
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D5OIyTZM9U

heres a video where dev goes through the production of one of his new songs.look how much stuff he has going on!

This. Notice that he goes through the tracks more or less individually and that for at least 50% of the tracks, they're more or less completely inaudible when you listen to the finished track. Like he says: "A lot of the stuff you don't even really end up hearing". Devin is THE overproduction man. His effects are positively insane, just listen to the vocal reverb tail at the start when he stops the playback and then the completely crazy delay thing he has going at 3:00. The feedback on that delay is such that it masks at least half of what he's doing.

So, to achieve that massive layered wall of sound you need to layer and layer and layer and layer but not repeating the same part over and over. Basically you need to write 30 parts for each section of a song and then not get overly attached to any of them because at least half will disappear in the mix. You also need to set up those ideas, and the instruments playing them so that they're not all in the same register or the same space panning-wise.

I've been trying my hand at that kind of production but I can't really manage my sonic space well enough and I'm way too attached to clarity and actually hearing the various parts in my mixes. The closest I've come so far is this: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ebon00/music/all/play843734 . The chorus there has a shitload of things going on but the mix isn't all I hoped for.
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News