My peavey raptor guitar has 5 switch pickup selector. When I'm using distortion, the tone gets really muddy on the 4th and 2nd and slightly on the 1st and 3rd. Any idea how I can get a clearer tone? Is it a problem with the wiring in the pups or is this somehow supposed to be how distortion works?
Turn down the gain? Adjust the pickup height? It could just be a bad pickup so there might not be very much you can do.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
You always get a thicker and bassier tone towards the neck and a brighter and thinner tone towards the bridge. That's just the nature of the guitars, that is how they're supposed to be. If any position seems muddy to you, either lower the pickups or back off the gain and bass controls on your amp - you never need as much gain as you initially think you do and you should match the bass to the size of the room you're in, since bass can quickly dominate everything if it's turned up in a small room.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Bass is at the 9'o clock position and distortion is at the 8'o clock position
Well, if it's a pickup height thing, I'll just tell that to the setup dude
thanks
pickups too high up will give you a muddier tone like that, where as when they're too low you usually encounter volume loss.

Have the guitar setup like you said, if it's still an issue, you need to adjust your amp settings.
"take him to the kennel, sick the dogs on his ass. we'll find out for god damn sure what he knows and what he don't."
Quote by sealtain
My peavey raptor guitar has 5 switch pickup selector. When I'm using distortion, the tone gets really muddy on the 4th and 2nd and slightly on the 1st and 3rd. Any idea how I can get a clearer tone? Is it a problem with the wiring in the pups or is this somehow supposed to be how distortion works?

there you go.