Page 1 of 2
What i mean by this, as an example, is that my pull offs ****ing suck! I'm working on them, so note that this isn't a thread for complaining that you suck and won't do anything about it, but what's your one weakness when you're playing?
Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Joeseffel

Quote by smcstoronto1234

So very true...
Inside picking. Completely screws me over past a certain speed.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I racka discipwine!
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I think he said he lacks discipline....

My weakness is sweeps arps. I can't seem to get them perfect.
Pulling off to open strings. Improv. Writing solos.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
I'm a bass player but when I play guitar my alternate picking is pretty bad. I tend to just strum down all the time, except when I play something with chords
Quote by God
I'm Omnipotent, which is to say that my dick eats both meat and plants

Ronnie and Steele, Rockstars today aint half as real.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio & Peter Steele
Covering solos (can only do originals). Off the subject of guitar my other weaknesses are muffins and subway
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
Last edited by 100% at Aug 13, 2010,
Playing things slow the first time!!

I read the tabs, then try to play everything at full speed from memory. Works sometimes... does not work most of the time.

I've always tried to do EVERYTHING (talk, walk, eat, write, type) everything too fast
Quote by HalfDose

I read the tabs, then try to play everything at full speed from memory. Works sometimes... does not work most of the time.

I've always tried to do EVERYTHING (talk, walk, eat, write, type) everything too fast

I have the same problem(s) too lol
My sweep picking leaves something to be desired, though its improved a lot. Its almost clean now, but still a little bit messy, and my 5 string sweeps totally suck, haha. The other thing I'm working on is trying to play the solo's from Mr. Crowley, they're fricken impossible!!! Haha, Randy is too good. I can do crappy versions of them, but they're really messy.
Quote by 100%
Covering solos (can only do originals). Off the subject of guitar my other weaknesses are muffins and subway

I'm ok on muffins and subway but yeah, covering solos. I can play certain ones but not others.
Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Joeseffel

Quote by smcstoronto1234

So very true...
Quote by HalfDose

Me too. And i also have problems in open-strings pull offs.
Sometimes just staying focused and making it a point to have a solid practise daily can be a tough thing for me.

I've been planning 'ahead' and actually writing a loose list of things I want to work on and that has been helping me. I hope to just stick with it and improve!
TOTAL BRO
Playing fast arpeggios on the lowest frets (damn you small hands!) but I have noticed lately that playing higher up on the fretboard then switching back to the lower does help my speed.
Sweeps and synchronizing my hands. I can sweep ok but it's nowhere near as clean as I want it. Plus whenever I come across a new shape I have to spend 20 minutes getting my hands used to it before I can play it.

That, and stuff like this:

e|-15-14-15-12-15----15----15----15----15----15-
B|----------------15----13----12----------------
G|----------------------------------14----12----
D|----------------------------------------------
A|----------------------------------------------
E|----------------------------------------------

where you go down a scale while pedaling on a higher note between every other note. I don't know why but I just have trouble with it.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
^ Hey, I just started to learn that song! (Blackwater Park, right?)
Edit: lol nope, just looks similar

Changing strings while alternate picking makes me angry.
You will bow at my feet or I'll rip out your knees

and make of your face all the carnage you crave
Last edited by 6StringSlaughtr at Aug 13, 2010,
Strumming Chords. I know tons of chord and arp theory, but I can't strum chords back and forth. This becomes a problem when jamming with certain people.

My sweeps could be improved, and unless I use some severe focus, there are usually small problems.
Well pretty much any lead technique since I'm pretty much a beginner at lead guitar haha. Although if I had to pick I would say anything with alternate picking or string skipping (like Bark at the Moon, or Seventeen by Winger (the 32nd note part in the solo)because my upstrokes blow. Also my right hand and left hand synchronization is all out of whack.
I usually find it tricky to perfectly replicate bends during solos. So I will find it hard to bend half a note and mute the note there two times in a row, or just like a guitarist does it song.
my small hands

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Quote by 6StringSlaughtr
^ Hey, I just started to learn that song! (Blackwater Park, right?)
Edit: lol nope, just looks similar

Changing strings while alternate picking makes me angry.

I just did a little thing in G. I'm sure it's in a song somewhere.

Blackwater Park is really fun to play by the way.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
My weakness is basically wanking passages... I can't shred yet, I've been playing blues-spawned rock all my life.

Couldn't tap very well until recently either. Twenty minutes ago I just picked up Crazy Train after putting it down for awhile to discover I could play the whole thing pretty well. Not quite at the perfect every time yet, which is what I strive for, but it's funny how that worked out.

As for feel-based string bending licks... I can play Kid Charlemagne's lead break with my eyes closed now :O sorry for bragging, I'm just pumped because my playing is galaxies ahead of where it was in January.
breaking old habits of putting chucks between barre chord changes to buy me time. hahahaha i just realize i was doing that and i thought "have i really been doing that for 2 years....?" but right now its string muting, mainly left hand but im not perfect on the right either.
"The most important thing about music is energy and emotion, not how well you can play. Technique should be a tool to achieve your vision, not the other way around."
-Jeff Tuttle

More guitar, less ultimate-guitar!
Sweep picking. I practice everything else for hours but I can't stand practicing sweeps even for 10 minutes.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Licks similar to the one at the end of the Sweet Child O' Mine solo before 'where do we go now?'.

Sweeping.

/wrist
Sweeping. But I'm working on it. For some reason, once I try to get it up to a certain speed, I stop holding the pick parallel to the strings and angle it almost as much as I do when I tremolo pick.

Also coming up with good original work.
Sort of specific, but descending 5 string sweeps. I can go up the strings, but I have sooooo much trouble coming back down :-/
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Guitar 'harping', or fretted natural harmonics.. its hard to describe, and I'm getting better with them all the time but its tricky. The best way to visualise what I'm talking about is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNX2jiTZbDQ

I'm likely going to have this guy as my private instructor next year so I'm hoping he'll have some tips to improve it faster...
sweeping downwards was naturally easy, sweeping upwards is whats pissing me off.

gotta work on my pinky strength and using it more
I'm decent at sweeping besides 4 stringers, so hard to get them quick and clean.

My kryptonite is definately alternate picking. >.<
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Shit, sweeping is my holy grail, anything but seven strings is easy (I dont have a seven string)

I personally get lost on really quick passages ala racer x scarafied
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
well, scarified is practically impossible for mortals like us to play. at least the string skipping part is... i've got the first part down, but i can't pick the ascending run, only legato :<
My problem is with fast solos, I don`t have the patience to sit down and practice them slowly to get them perfect or fast enough, which leaves with never being able to lear a full song. Unwanted string noise is my main problem.
Breakin` the Law!
getting cut is my main problem right now

usually when i'm playing i'll cut my finger and then the string will keep getting caught in the cut so it'll be hard to do bends and pulloffs
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Page 1 of 2