As soon as I ship my valveking off I am ordering a new fender amp. I want a simple, clean tube amp with "vibrato" or whatever Fender called it. I also want reverb but to be honest I don't mind if it's via a holy grail or fender reverb cabinet or the amp itself. I've been almost dead set on a mid 60's Bandmaster. The blackface one with the good circuits and stuff but more and more I have been wondering if 40 watts through two 12 inch speakers is too much. That's half of the reason why my valveking is going. I've been considering a Deluxe Reverb 65RI but I've been afriad 22 through a 12 inch isn't enough. I need this thing to stay relatively clean with a quiet drummer. I'm well aware of tube volume, I use a5 watt champ through a 10 inch speaker with a drummer, a bassist another guitar player with a VK but the thing roars with distortion.

What would be the better buy? Handwired, blackface, 40 watt Fender Bandmaster or a used 65DRRI at 22 watts. Both would be used, I am looking to spend between 600 and 900 dollars.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I think the Bandmaster would be good for you... the twin reverb should do what you want, even though it's HUGE

EDIT:
wait you have a 1978 Fender Champ, why not use that for your clean sound and just mic that?

there's a Catalinbread pedal that emulates that "vibe/vibrato" sound from them Brownface Vibe amps
Last edited by stykerwolf at Aug 13, 2010,
i don't use the champ because I don't have a PA system to practice with or even usually to play live with and I'm also not really a fan of its clean tone.

Also, I should have specified, I want the ability if I so choose to be able to drive the amp naturally. That rules the twin out for sure. I don't know if it rules out the Bandmaster though
honestly.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Yeah, I use my champ for bedroom fun. The bandmaster would be for bandpractice, shows and my universities jazz band, they weren't a fan of my champ haha. I've heard the DRRI breaks up pretty early. Any way to help that? Tubes? Speaker? If not, it seems the Bandmaster is still a good choice.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
But HOW low is the headroom? That's really what I want, I just want it to stay relatively clean over a drum set. I don't need crystal clear cleans, some grit is fine. I don't want saturated overdrive though.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Then the 22W DRI should be good, or maybe a Super Reverb?
rolling your guitars volume back off should clean your tone up with minimal volume loss. how loud is your drummer? you said jazz band, so i'm guessing he's pretty calm?

try the DRRI out at a store, i'm not really sure about them deluxe reverbs
.i play in my school's jazz band but my band is a blues/rock type band hence the desire for some natural break up. My local store has a vintage one but not an ri and I have been told there are some big differences.

I guess the other thing that comes to mind is would the bandmaster simply be better because it's a blackface, handwired amp from the golden era of tube amps? Why is there not a 30 watt deluxe reverb?!?

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
thanks! I appreciate all of your help. I might well still err on the side of less wattage since I've had such a negitive reaction to my 50 and 100 watt tube amps but I will take everything you have said into consideration for sure

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712