I am planning a build as follows:

Les Paul style body- mahogany/ Birds Eye maple top
24 Fret Neck, ebony over birds eye, floating after fret 20 or so (similar to a Harmony H63 Jazzbox), string-thru
2 humbucking coil-tapped PU w/ saddle piezo PU.
Gold Hardware, clear pickguard

My question is this...

Is there an onboard MIDI processor out there? I basically want to merge a Les Paul with a Line6 Variax. I've seen a couple post-guitar options (Graph Tech etc), but I like the model selector the Variax has built in.
http://www.guitaristjeffmiller.com/guitars10.htm

This looks like it might be what you're thinking about. From what I understand, most of the people who do this just take the electronics out of the variax guitars and put it in a custom build, as line 6 doesnt sell it separately.

Another option would be a midi pickup with a midi processer on the ground, and an onboard midi controller. A kaoss pad might be a possibility, but I'm not sure if it would control all the parameters the way you want.
Quote by mattocaster99

This looks like it might be what you're thinking about. From what I understand, most of the people who do this just take the electronics out of the variax guitars and put it in a custom build, as line 6 doesnt sell it separately.

Yeah true. Even warmoth make line 6 retrofit bodies since the guitars themselves aren't usually the best. I don't really understand why line 6 don't sell the electronics seperately since there clearly is a demand for them. But i suppose if they can fob off whole guitars just for the PCB inside then obviously suits them just fine i guess.

But yeah, if you want to merge a les paul with a variax, then the best option is obviously to just merge a les paul with a variax lolz.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Aug 14, 2010,
If you want a Les Paul Variax, you'll need to get a Variax (try to find a beater or something) and pull all the stuff out of it.
You cant get all that stuff without the Variax hardware, just a MIDI processor wont do what you want, you need the Variax hardware because its got all the modelling built in. The Variax's don't use MIDI anyway, the output has a digital jack, and thats for connecting it to a POD XT (which you really need to get the most out of it)