So I write a lot of folksy, acoustic songs, very much like Jack Johnson or Jimmy Buffett. But I was wondering... When I want to form a band to play with me, how would I go about doing this? I mean, take Jack for example. He does probably 90% of the songwriting for every song. He writes the guitar parts, the lyrics, the piano parts, and I'm sure he tells the other musicians in the band what he wants the song to sound like, and an idea of what they should play. Of course, then the musicians in the band will write their own parts but the main idea of what each instrument should be playing most likely comes from Jack.

I guess what I'm trying to say is how would I go about finding musicians to be in a band with me, but still being able to keep the sound I'm looking for and the sound I want? I hope you guys get what I'm trying to say.
you might have to settle for a little more equality in your band at first until you either get a name for yourself or sign a deal.
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
So I write a lot of folksy, acoustic songs, very much like Jack Johnson or Jimmy Buffett. But I was wondering... When I want to form a band to play with me, how would I go about doing this? I mean, take Jack for example. He does probably 90% of the songwriting for every song. He writes the guitar parts, the lyrics, the piano parts, and I'm sure he tells the other musicians in the band what he wants the song to sound like, and an idea of what they should play. Of course, then the musicians in the band will write their own parts but the main idea of what each instrument should be playing most likely comes from Jack.

I guess what I'm trying to say is how would I go about finding musicians to be in a band with me, but still being able to keep the sound I'm looking for and the sound I want? I hope you guys get what I'm trying to say.

Simple. He pays them a wage. They don't get any royalties, or publishing, they get a wage for time spent on the road or in the studio. So, either find guys who don't want to put in the work to write material and who trust entirely in your vision, or be prepared to take out your wallet.

He
Quote by sandyman323
you might have to settle for a little more equality in your band at first until you either get a name for yourself or sign a deal.

Well, I like working in a "band environment", and I mean, I wouldn't take complete control of songwriting like I made it sound in the OP, because I know next to nothing about drums and instruments besides guitar and piano. My situation would probably be more like Dave Matthews Band... Dave writes the lyrics and the chord progressions/riffs and the rest is just filled in by the other musicians.
I play double bass in a backing band for a folk musician and it generally works as he'll write the parts, tell us what to play then pay us a slightly smaller percenntage than he gets from each gig. Works well as he's really easy going.

However I get a bit more freedom than the rest and have some say in musical ideas but the reason for this is that I got in the band via producing his EP so some of that producer vibe still lingers.
The easiest way is to record demos of your music and upload them. Say you're looking for musicians to play this music. They already have a reference for it, and the end product will rarely deviate far from the original.

However if you simply place a chord sheet infront of them, it's free to interpret how they wish.

Otherwise you just find musicians the same way as usual - advertise. Play an open mic solo and say near the end you're looking for musos to join you. Stuff like that. A lot of musicians like to take the back seat to songwriting and just contribute their parts, and most bands rarely have more than one or two members who write the majority of the music anyway.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud