I am thinking of upgrading my cheap Ibanez to something a little higher end. I was/am really interested in getting a 52 tele reissue, but am wondering how versatile the tele will be, because i like to play all genres, including metal, but my dominant style of playing is a sort of jazz/blues deal. An amazing clean tone is the most important part of the guitar for me. I am interested in having a floyd rose, and possibly a piezo pickup. Also, i am a left handed player. Budget is under $2000. This is probably an impossible type guitar to have, i'm just looking for opinions, and custom is always an option. Thanks guys!
wow, an excellent suggestion thanks, do you know any online retailers for this? and the approx cost for left handed with a piezo?
http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-JS1200L

That's a great versatile guitar but if i were u i'd get 2 different guitars. 1 for blues/jazz and 1 for metal. Why get 1 guitar that does everything GOOD, when u can get 2 guitars that are GREAT for a specific genre? With $2000, u can spend $1000 for each and still get a great guitar. Thats just my opinion.

There aren't many left handed guitars available but those are pretty good.
http://www.samash.com/p/Left%20Handed%20American%20Standard%20Stratocaster_437106

http://www.zzounds.com/item--SCEHRSPFRLH
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
You probably knew this was imminent: American Standard Strat

Otherwise, every Ibanez I've played has been fantastic and you won't be making a mistake by buying another.

I'd recommend the S770FM if you stuck a pair of decent pickups in it and the low price allows you to either: a) buy the Ibby and a more bluesy guitar, or b) save the money for when a new bout of GAS sets in.
Gear:
- Ibanez RGR465M
- Ibanez S770FM
- PRS SE Custom
- Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
Quote by saunders73
wow, an excellent suggestion thanks, do you know any online retailers for this? and the approx cost for left handed with a piezo?

Type in the guitar you want into google shopping and there you go!
Quote by Jason
Ancient scrolls predict that when Fred Durst and Lil Wayne perform a guitar duet while touching the tips of their penises together, the gates of hell will open and swallow us all.

Hehe.

Are you from America? If so, there's Carvin, which would be your best bet for finding everything you want.

And to holycow, metal isn't his primary genre, but with that much money, it's very easy to get a guitar that sounds great for multiple genres. That is mostly dependent on the amp anyway, not the guitar itself. All he has to do is get pickups that aren't really geared for anything in particular, and let the amp do the rest.

Speaking of which, I guess I should ask: do you have an amp good enough to justify a $2000 guitar?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by saunders73
I am thinking of upgrading my cheap Ibanez to something a little higher end. I was/am really interested in getting a 52 tele reissue, but am wondering how versatile the tele will be, because i like to play all genres, including metal, but my dominant style of playing is a sort of jazz/blues deal. An amazing clean tone is the most important part of the guitar for me. I am interested in having a floyd rose, and possibly a piezo pickup. Also, i am a left handed player. Budget is under $2000. This is probably an impossible type guitar to have, i'm just looking for opinions, and custom is always an option. Thanks guys!

With a budget with a ceiling of $2000, I have 2 main suggestions:

First, I'll echo the suggestion about Carvin. I don't own one, but I know several ecstatic Carvin owners who have convinced me to put one or 2 on my "G.A.S" list. For $2000 or less, you can get one hell of a guitar from them.

Second, consider custom. I met Jon Kammerer from Keokuk, Illinois (near Chicago) selling his guitars at the Dallas Guitar Show. I now own 4 of his guitars. Each is a work of visual art as well as being a great guitar.

I'm not saying Jon is the only one out there, though- you can find all kinds of luthiers in your area who could do a fine job as well. And the best thing about going to a luthier is that you'll get EXACTLY what you want. I know, for instance, that Jon doesn't charge extra for lefty guitars, and I'm sure that other luthiers would be similarly accommodating.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
thanks guys, i knew the strat was coming, and am considering that as it is sortof a workhorse that can do anything good.. i would rather not spend 1000 on 2 guitars because i am trying to keep this under 2000 and would rather just get one very good one. I checked out that Carvin website and liked the look of the guitars, but wondering about left handedness. I have a custom guy that lives nearby that i might look in to i just want to know if there is a better option to go. I tried to look into google for a left handed petrucci music man and couldnt find any retailers. My amp is a Sound City 30c. My friend owns a dean razerback, and is convinced it's the best guitar in the world, and i just hate the look of it, its obnoxious, and i am sure there is a better guitar out there. and i realize that i just answered like 30 questions in one post so bear with me, thanks for all the suggestions tho.
Get some sorta SG and deck it out with Tony Iommi pickups. They are 24kilo ohms and man are they loud.
Quote by saunders73
I checked out that Carvin website and liked the look of the guitars, but wondering about left handedness.

Lefties are not a problem for Carvin:
http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/group.php?dir=L

I have a custom guy that lives nearby that i might look in to i just want to know if there is a better option to go

Let us know what you think of the guy's work!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'm a lefty and I have owned 2 MusicMan Petruccis, 1 standard and 1 BFR. If you go 2nd hand you MIGHT get a BFR for $2000. The main difference between the two is the BFR has a finished neck and better tonewoods. Both are excellent though.

If you can't find a dealer head over to the MusicMan forums and ask there, the guys are super friendly. Also you could consider 2nd hand as anyone who owns a MusicMan will generally treat it well! Check out http://www.drumcityguitarland.com , they have lots of lefties in stock.

Also got to throw in some love for Carvin. Almost all are available left handed and are customisable to your exact needs.
I called my local music man dealer and they were very unhelpful, they couldnt even give me a baseline price for a petrucci. I am thinking of going with Carvin, but as far as choosing a Carvin with all the available pickups, and styles would anybody have a recommendation within Carvin? Can you get a piezo on any of them?
Quote by saunders73

Without a doubt - get a Gaskell. They make left handed guitars only. Support those who support you. Best left handed guitars in the world. http://www.gaskellguitars.com