This is going to be extremely tough to answer, just warning you; especially since I'm only typing information about the situation.

I've basically quit playing electric guitar because my amp never ever works. I can't get it fixed. I take it in to techs and they return it to me saying it's fixed, but then lo and behold a day or two later it's broken again and blows a fuse. I've taken it to multiple shops to be prepared, who've done many different thins. But every time, it'll play and work fine for awhile then blow a fuse. Sometimes I play it a long time one day and then turn it off. The next time I go to turn it on, it won't turn on. It's blown a fuse again. I'm at my wits end, I don't know what else to do to get it fixed. It's not the cab, speaker cable, cord, pedal, guitar, power cord, outlet, or anything like that. Once they said there was a bad cap and they replaced that, the next time they checked the cab and cables, not that. Then I changed shops and the tech there said it was a bad rectifier tube and he replaced that. Still blew a fuse. I don't know what it could be or who could fix it. This has been going on for EIGHT MONTHS. It's an Orange AD30 head. The power tubes and preamp tubes have not been replaced, but obviously wouldn't the tech have checked them too? So. What is left that it could be?

You're letting it warm up in standby, right? For about 30 seconds to a minute?

are the power tubes glowing really red?

Hm. Take all the tubes out of the amp, and turn it on.
If the fuse still blows, this could mean:
- a blown filter cap (not likely, since it's a relatively new amp.)
- blown power transformer (rare, but possible.)

If it doesn't blow any fuses initially , try installing the rectifier tube, then turning it on.
Then the power tubes.
then the preamp tubes.
See which one will blow the fuse.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Aug 13, 2010,
wouldnt it have been easier to get a new amp?
youre getting the correct fuses for it right?
but something is wrong with the amp itself in the wiring or one of the components no way for me to tell without actually looking at it
Quote by forsaknazrael
You're letting it warm up in standby, right? For about 30 seconds to a minute?

are the power tubes glowing really red?

Hm. Take all the tubes out of the amp, and turn it on.
If the fuse still blows, this could mean:
- a blown filter cap (not likely, since it's a relatively new amp.)
- blown power transformer (rare, but possible.)

If it doesn't blow without any fuses initially, try installing the rectifier tube, then turning it on.
Then the power tubes.
then the preamp tubes.
See which one will blow the fuse.

Never heard this, interesting method. Just for clarification; I think you meant tube where I bolded.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Why on earth have you not sent it back to the manufacturer yet? Isn't there some sort of warranty? I'm sure the manufacturer would replace the amp if its not terribly old and you explain the situation
Right, I've heard about that method of putting em in one by one. The Rec. tube shouldn't be bad seeing as it's 2 days old, but I'll test it anyway. Problem is, I'm out of fuses. And also, it does NOT blow the fuse initially. It works fine. It can last and work for 20 minutes up to 2 weeks. So I don't know if the tests would work. I could check the tube glow color, but I'll have to wait till I have fuses.

Quote by forsaknazrael
Nah, fuse. If the fuse blows after tube installs, that's the bad tube. Oh, and preamp tubes should be installed one by one.

How can it blow a fuse without any fuses?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Ya I wasn't sure exactly what you meant, but I knew you didn't mean that.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
glad you got that sorted tubetime I was like too.

Cool troubleshoot method though. I may add that to my blog.

usually, when I hear 'continues' to blow fuses that tell me there is a blown screen grid resistor or scarring on the board itself. When was the last time someone gave the internal chassis a good look?

(this can be dangerous to open up so don't do it if you don't know what you are doing and for god's sake don't stick both hands in there. use a chopstick or something)
^Most likely the last time was when I took it to the tech last, and I just got it back yesterday. But I know it at least was looked at when the bad cap was replaced.

^did they give you a detailed list of what they looked at and checked?

ask for that.

also, ask for free estimates in the future.

i'm sick of hearing stories from people about how they took their amp to a shop multiple times, paid money, and the amp still breaks down.......arrrrrrrgggggghhhh. I won't say any more. Some places are just down right crooked too.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^did they give you a detailed list of what they looked at and checked?

ask for that.

also, ask for free estimates in the future.

i'm sick of hearing stories from people about how they took their amp to a shop multiple times, paid money, and the amp still breaks down.......arrrrrrrgggggghhhh. I won't say any more. Some places are just down right crooked too.

I'm pretty sure they'll repair it again free if it doesn't work. I changed shops cuz I'd taken it into one 4 times and it still wasn't fixed. I'll take it back

Hate to necrobump this, but well, she's still dead. The fuse blowing is too delayed to test the tubes that way, and the rec is brand new. So is there a way I can pull and test tubes seperately without using the amp to test if it blows or not?

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Have you tried contacting Orange regarding your AD30?

this.

Explain your situation and hopefully they will take care of you.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
No I haven't, but considering I haven't even tested the power tubes I probably should do that first. Right? Otherwise, I'm calling 'em because this is crazy. I've been amp-less for almost a year now.

Dude don't bother with a tube tester, just change your tubes, it's the only thing you haven't tried.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
bunch of fuses blowing means you got bad stuff in ur amp. it's possible that the tube was made defective during shipping. and it's not bad to carry tons of spare tubes either.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I guess I'll just get 'em changed. I just was thinking how bad it'd suck to spend more money for new tubes and then have it still not work.

^ if it doesn't work still, email Orange (I'd actually do that anyway) and the pull the tubes and keep them for spares.

I was pretty surprised to see it was an Orange you were fighting with, first horror story I've heard about 'em.

You should speak to the shops you've visited for tech work and get a refund. There's no way they can charge you and still not have it work. They tried to do that to me with my old JCM. I hit the roof and demanded the guy come to me and sort it out.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Well, ONE of the shops gave us free repairs every time after and it never worked. I think it's been too long to get my money back :/ Maybe the other place.

What tubes should I get? EL84's. Suggestions?

i would go with the standard EL84 choices for amps, JJ/Tesla EL84. they're solid tubes that don't blow up in AC-30s, chimey with a lot of punch. i wouldn't say it's got juice, because it's an EL84 still. and they're not too expensive, which is always a plus.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Alright. I popped the tubes out, I thin one is bad but I obviously can't tell. They were EHX tubes. I'll get the JJ's