Would a dedicated power supply like the Fuel Tank Jr. cut down on noise? Right now I use the cheap 9V adapter that came with my pedal board, a lot like what comes with Boss pedals.

Would this rig have limited noise? Les Paul-->Korg Pitchblack-->MXR GT-OD-->MXR Micro Flanger-->ISP Decimator-->JCM 900

My plan is to cut down on my pedal board to mostly true bypass as you see, and to do everything I can too eliminate noise. I understand that's what the Decimator is for, but it can only do so much actually. The noise I have now is fundamental, and the ISP can't touch it. Anyway, what cables do you guys recommend to use in between these pedals for the least amount of noise?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Yes, if you're having noise problems an isolated power supply is certainly better than a daisy-chain system.
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender American Special Strat
Assorted Boss and Hardwire pedals
Vox AC15C1
Isolated power supplies would probably help. The Fueltank Jr. is a popular one. They'd only help if one of your pedals is causing noise. The problem with daisy-chaining is that it transfers all the noise from one pedal throughout your entire signal chain, whereas an isolated power supply keeps the noise "isolated" to that single pedal.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
This should be a good website for power supply reference: http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/power/psu.htm

I have used a few in my time: Didn't like the DC Brick-glorified expensive daisy chain. Voodoo Labs PP2+ and ISO-5-excellent power supplies. CAE/MXR MC-403-like the pp2+ and ISO, an excellent PSU, but a large unit w/ 16 outlets and a courtesy outlet. There are many out there worth looking at, it depends on your power needs. But, if anything, I would certainly suggest a power supply w/ isolated outlets and a Toroidal transformer. Checkout Stinkfoot's website.
Quote by jnepo1
This should be a good website for power supply reference: http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/power/psu.htm

I have used a few in my time: Didn't like the DC Brick-glorified expensive daisy chain. Voodoo Labs PP2+ and ISO-5-excellent power supplies. CAE/MXR MC-403-like the pp2+ and ISO, an excellent PSU, but a large unit w/ 16 outlets and a courtesy outlet. There are many out there worth looking at, it depends on your power needs. But, if anything, I would certainly suggest a power supply w/ isolated outlets and a Toroidal transformer. Checkout Stinkfoot's website.

Thanks for the reference, seems like a good source.

I was going to ask, what benefit does the Toroidal transformer serve as opposed to it being absent? The main one that looks within my price range and with the power that I need that also includes the Toroidal transformer is the ISO-5 so I'm leaning towards that.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
Thanks for the reference, seems like a good source.

I was going to ask, what benefit does the Toroidal transformer serve as opposed to it being absent? The main one that looks within my price range and with the power that I need that also includes the Toroidal transformer is the ISO-5 so I'm leaning towards that.

When looking through Stinkfoot's website, you will notice he has a column that states if the PSU has a Toroidal transformer or not. Toroidal transformers were designed specifically for the audio industry. The premise for the design is to achieve low noise and low magnetic field in order to minimize audio hum/buzz. So whichever PSU you decide to get, look for one w/ the Toroidal transformer.
Another thought for PSUs is the isolated outlets as well. Isolated outlets and Toroidal transformers are good qualities for a good PSU. They help regulate the low noise factor and also, as pedals are not all built the same, power requirements are definitely a consideration. Some are negative center and positive tip, w/ those variants, isolated outlets will play an important factor. Good luck in you findings. There is a wealth of info in Stinkfoot's site, especially on effects pedals and their power requirements.
Quote by jnepo1
When looking through Stinkfoot's website, you will notice he has a column that states if the PSU has a Toroidal transformer or not. Toroidal transformers were designed specifically for the audio industry. The premise for the design is to achieve low noise and low magnetic field in order to minimize audio hum/buzz. So whichever PSU you decide to get, look for one w/ the Toroidal transformer.
Another thought for PSUs is the isolated outlets as well. Isolated outlets and Toroidal transformers are good qualities for a good PSU. They help regulate the low noise factor and also, as pedals are not all built the same, power requirements are definitely a consideration. Some are negative center and positive tip, w/ those variants, isolated outlets will play an important factor. Good luck in you findings. There is a wealth of info in Stinkfoot's site, especially on effects pedals and their power requirements.

Looks like the only one with the Toroidal transformer and isolated outputs that fits my power needs is the ISO-5, so I think I'll go with that. Thanks so much.
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
For a topic to bump this, would this set of cable be good?

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Planet-Waves-Cable-Station-Custom-Instrument-Cable-Kit?sku=580576

EDIT: Also I was looking at getting this Korg Pitch Black for a tuner.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Korg-pitchblack-Chromatic-Pedal-Tuner?sku=210087

It says in the specs that it runs on 9VAC, yet in the picture it says it runs on 9VDC.
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Last edited by acdclandon at Aug 15, 2010,
My name is Calvin and I'm logging in for the first time to introduce myself to the community, wanted to let you know that my interest is in current affairs and technologies including website development, will look forward to meeting during some interesting interactions.
Quote by calvin123
My name is Calvin and I'm logging in for the first time to introduce myself to the community, wanted to let you know that my interest is in current affairs and technologies including website development, will look forward to meeting during some interesting interactions.

*REPORTED*