This is a possibly idiot question on setting intonation on the Floyd Rose Original, but I had to be sure.

From what I've gathered, reading from several sources, it is necessary to loosen the tension on the string, unlock the saddle tightening nut, and move the saddle back and forth as necessary; this I understand.

Obviously, it would seem that the nut lockers need to be taken off, because of the frequent de-tuning and re-tuning of the strings. My question is this. Let's say you set the intonation perfectly while you have the nut lockers off. Wouldn't putting the nut lockers back on change some variable in the tension and throw it off? Or, is the point of tension on the nut after the lockers (closer to bridge side) for the nut and this does not matter? I'm sorry if this is a counter-intuitive question, as that obviously seems the correct way to do it (who could imagine all that work with the fine tuners), but I was just looking for some input on this. I haven't done it before and want to make sure I get it right when I do so.

Thanks!
i think you'll be fine. as far as i can tell, putting the nut back on will change the tension a little bit, but changing the tension by miniscule amounts won't affect intonation much at all. you should be just fine. most of that change in tension will affect your tuning, which can be fixed by a tiny turn of the fine tuners.

(as long as i'm understanding the question correctly). anyway, you should be ok!
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
the tension has nothing to do with intonation if the string stays the same length.

putting on your nut lock thing(*childish giggle*) shouldnt effect the tension of the string at all. the string rings from the bridge to the point of the nut closest to the fingerboard which is past the lock thing. so no this shouldnt be a problem.

just get the intonation(which is the length of the string from the saddle to the nut btw) right with the locker thing off and when you put the lock thing on it shouldnt effect it at all.
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
most of that change in tension will affect your tuning, which can be fixed by a tiny turn of the fine tuners.

(as long as i'm understanding the question correctly). anyway, you should be ok!

the intonation will be fixed as soon as you get the string into pitch anyways if you set the intonation while the string was in tune
Thanks all. I thought I had it figured out almost when I posted the original post, but just want some advice. Thanks again. I'm a worry wart when it comes to getting guitars set up.
Quote by rickyj
the intonation will be fixed as soon as you get the string into pitch anyways if you set the intonation while the string was in tune

yep, exactly. like i said, the change in tension won't affect intonation, but tuning. and only by just a hair, too. you should be able to tune right back up with a fraction of a turn to the fine tuners
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip