I am planning on selling my current guitar and buying another.

Budget: 600$

Genres: I want to have high gain sound. Bands like Trivium, Killswitch engage, Bullet for my valentine, but i would like to have coil split so i can play things like RHCP, Jimi hendrix, Bloc party( i know coil splitting inst necessary for these music but it sure makes it sound better), unless there are some humbuckers that sound really good in clean that can play metal also. Oh and i want a HH configuration.

New or Used: used is fine

Home or Gig: Home, Gig, Recording, rehearsals

Current Gear:Right now i have a Peavey vypyr 30, and a 80s fernandes. I will have a 90s rectifier by the time i buy this, and thats it. After the guitar i'll buy the pedals.

Closest City: Where i live. I have guitar shops near me so no worries about that.
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Last edited by Aashraya at Aug 13, 2010,
i know you want HH but an HSS strat will help

or maybe an HH jaguar (used)
Quote by '93

okay jaguar sounds nice. I have a HSS right now and it doesn't have a nice lead pickup, i cant get a nice warm fluidly lead. My old guitar (HH) had nice lead and rhythm but horrible cleans.

Do you think a Strat/Jaguar can do metal? ( i know this sounds biased, but i am just wondering) I'm pretty sure it can do metal but i mean compared to a Nice ESP, Kramer, ibanez or something?
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Quote by britishsligean
schecters with passive pickups might be worth a look

yea i've been looking at Schecter, but i forgot to add i like specific necks. I love small fender tele/strat necks.

i have to go in recording but i will be back in couple of hours.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
yea i've been looking at Schecter, but i forgot to add i like specific necks. I love small fender tele/strat necks.

i have to go in recording but i will be back in couple of hours.

if you like thin necks maybe you should look at ibanez rg's or s's
Quote by Aashraya
Do you think a Strat/Jaguar can do metal? ( i know this sounds biased, but i am just wondering) I'm pretty sure it can do metal but i mean compared to a Nice ESP, Kramer, ibanez or something?

Well, while the brands you listed are probably designed more for metal, a Strat or Jag can probably hold up great to them(John 5 has a signature HH Tele, and Yngwie Malmsteen uses Strats with single-coil-sized humbuckers IIRC). I think a SSS Strat gets perfectly fine metal tones(a little thin/trebly, maybe, but I don't find it too noticeable), although most would suggest a HSS. Also, for BFMV, KSE and a lot of newer core-type bands they're using EMGs or Duncan Blackouts for pickups, which are supposed to be good for distortion but for less heavy stuff Iunno(Reb Beach from Winger's signature guitar had a EMG 89 in the bridge, which IMO had a fairly good shred/rock tone, AND had the coil split you're looking for, but...I don't know if they still make them). I hate to jump on a bandwagon, but an Ibanez might be your thing.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
I'd look at used LTD Deluxe's.

I really doubt you'll be able to find an ESP for only $600, but an LTD Deluxe could definitely be had, and would suit you well, I think.

Try some out, see what you think.

I wouldn't get a Schecter if you like smaller necks.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Back from recording now heres a huge reply!

Quote by britishsligean
if you like thin necks maybe you should look at ibanez rg's or s's

I've had a ibanez RG. First no coil tap and most of their guitars have a double locking tremolo, with some exceptions. And i dont mean thin necks like you think i mean from 6th string to 1string how long is it?

Quote by Enix165
Well, while the brands you listed are probably designed more for metal, a Strat or Jag can probably hold up great to them(John 5 has a signature HH Tele, and Yngwie Malmsteen uses Strats with single-coil-sized humbuckers IIRC). I think a SSS Strat gets perfectly fine metal tones(a little thin/trebly, maybe, but I don't find it too noticeable), although most would suggest a HSS. Also, for BFMV, KSE and a lot of newer core-type bands they're using EMGs or Duncan Blackouts for pickups, which are supposed to be good for distortion but for less heavy stuff Iunno(Reb Beach from Winger's signature guitar had a EMG 89 in the bridge, which IMO had a fairly good shred/rock tone, AND had the coil split you're looking for, but...I don't know if they still make them). I hate to jump on a bandwagon, but an Ibanez might be your thing.

I dont really want active but if it be a must okay. Any ibanez with a coil split? i could just order a neck a body etc, and then make it a custom. I already have a HSS and its not making me happy. It doesn't have a nice lead tone. I like leads like BFMV and trivium solo. Maybe it could just use another pickup but i also dont want to have the hassle of the floating bridge.

Quote by Offworld92
I'd look at used LTD Deluxe's.

I really doubt you'll be able to find an ESP for only $600, but an LTD Deluxe could definitely be had, and would suit you well, I think.

Try some out, see what you think.

I wouldn't get a Schecter if you like smaller necks.

yea schecter seem to fit everything but the neck. the neck is very important to me because that is basically what defines me feel of the guitar.

I realize 600 is low and might not fit everything, but i just want to do the best i can.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
any other guitars?

How much would i need to spend to get what i want?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Hmm, to get a guitar that fits those specs and isn't a schecter is tough....

TEH ScH3CTARRR HAZ COiL TaPZ!

Maybe look into a regular HH config guitar with decent pickups and then save up after you but it to have it rewired for coil taps (I"m pretty sure that's possible.)

Seriously though. I never really looked into coil tapped guitars, I just got lucky when my Edwards came stock with taps. Since I've never really looked into models with coil taps I can only say Edwards does have them XD But importing an Edwards new is like. $1300+ Although metsursparkle on ebay has an H-III every so often for $1100 plus shipping. :/

Not that my last paragraph helped you in any way whatsoever....
Quote by siverstorm
Hmm, to get a guitar that fits those specs and isn't a schecter is tough....

TEH ScH3CTARRR HAZ COiL TaPZ!

Maybe look into a regular HH config guitar with decent pickups and then save up after you but it to have it rewired for coil taps (I"m pretty sure that's possible.)

Seriously though. I never really looked into coil tapped guitars, I just got lucky when my Edwards came stock with taps. Since I've never really looked into models with coil taps I can only say Edwards does have them XD But importing an Edwards new is like. $1300+ Although metsursparkle on ebay has an H-III every so often for $1100 plus shipping. :/

Not that my last paragraph helped you in any way whatsoever....

nah man any information helps ! Well that sounds like a good idea, to add coil tap later. I mean are their humbuckers that have really good cleans? Almost coil like cleans ( i think thats like asking if 5150's can achieve a fender clean)
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
nah man any information helps ! Well that sounds like a good idea, to add coil tap later. I mean are their humbuckers that have really good cleans? Almost coil like cleans ( i think thats like asking if 5150's can achieve a fender clean)

Buckers will get warm bucker cleans. My Seymour Duncan Jazz is capable of sexy cleans through my friend's Peavy Classic 50 amp. in bucker mode. It's really really nice and twangy in tapped mode.

While you're out hunting for a guitar I'd suggest you get an alder bodied guitar. Though this is just preference. I'm not crazy about the tone from a mahogany coil tapped guitar (A schecter something or other)

As far as I know, there arent any standard buckers with coil tones. There are only specialized singles to fit bucker spaces.

And coil taps are nice, and they get really nice cleans, but they aren't 100% true coils. Hell I manged to get a twangy crunch out of my Pod Farm software with the guitar's bridge bucker.

Others have said that taps sound like stacked P90s more than single coils. (I've never played a stacked P90 so I couldn't confirm that.)

When it comes to pickups on these forums it looks like Fibble knows almost too much, maybe if you get lucky he can help out
Quote by siverstorm
Buckers will get warm bucker cleans. My Seymour Duncan Jazz is capable of sexy cleans through my friend's Peavy Classic 50 amp. in bucker mode. It's really really nice and twangy in tapped mode.

While you're out hunting for a guitar I'd suggest you get an alder bodied guitar. Though this is just preference. I'm not crazy about the tone from a mahogany coil tapped guitar (A schecter something or other)

As far as I know, there arent any standard buckers with coil tones. There are only specialized singles to fit bucker spaces.

And coil taps are nice, and they get really nice cleans, but they aren't 100% true coils. Hell I manged to get a twangy crunch out of my Pod Farm software with the guitar's bridge bucker.

Others have said that taps sound like stacked P90s more than single coils. (I've never played a stacked P90 so I couldn't confirm that.)

When it comes to pickups on these forums it looks like Fibble knows almost too much, maybe if you get lucky he can help out

thanks man i'll look him up. can the jazz do nice lead tone ? because it will be a neck pup
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
thanks man i'll look him up. can the jazz do nice lead tone ? because it will be a neck pup

Does "hell yes" answer that question?
Quote by siverstorm
Does "hell yes" answer that question?

a little ?

haha thanks.

So like the JB/59 is the most popular set of Duncans ( in my opinoin) how does the JB compare to the jazz(guessing the JB is a neck pickup)
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
a little ?

haha thanks.

So like the JB/59 is the most popular set of Duncans ( in my opinoin) how does the JB compare to the jazz(guessing the JB is a neck pickup)

59's the neck pickup. JB is the bridge.

I played a guitar with a 59 a while back. But I can't really remember how it sounded. If I'm right the Jazz is a bit tighter than the 59. As in it might be a tad more trebly for solos.

I have a Custom 5 in my bridge and I personally like it more than the JB's I've played. People say the JB is a tiny bit less clear than the custom 5 and the custom 5 has more bite.

I agree it has more bite, but i only notice the clarity when I tune lower than Drop D. And it's not a huge huge huge problem.

It's all preference. If you want to get into the sounds of the buckers, try some guitars out with the pickups and body wood you want and take a listen. I think some jacksons come with the Jazz/Custom 5 combo and some ESPs come with the 59/JB combo.
Quote by siverstorm
59's the neck pickup. JB is the bridge.

I played a guitar with a 59 a while back. But I can't really remember how it sounded. If I'm right the Jazz is a bit tighter than the 59. As in it might be a tad more trebly for solos.

I have a Custom 5 in my bridge and I personally like it more than the JB's I've played. People say the JB is a tiny bit less clear than the custom 5 and the custom 5 has more bite.

I agree it has more bite, but i only notice the clarity when I tune lower than Drop D. And it's not a huge huge huge problem.

It's all preference. If you want to get into the sounds of the buckers, try some guitars out with the pickups and body wood you want and take a listen. I think some jacksons come with the Jazz/Custom 5 combo and some ESPs come with the 59/JB combo.

awesome man thanks, I'll start looking.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by '93

I agree. Go with an HSS Fender Strat. You can't go wrong.

ron666