I am currently trying to nail down the Rythm guitar for Unretrofied but cant get it to sound clean due to struggling with the open strings and possible my strumming technique.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/d/dillinger_escape_plan/unretrofied_tab.htm

I can reach the chords fine and play them cleanly on their own but once i increase the speed i start to hit the E and A strings, the high e is fine as i'm muting it with my index finger but if i try and mute the Bottom strings with my thumb over the neck my hand becomes tense which affects my accuracy and clarity.

Thanks in advance
I dont have my guitar on me so I cant experiment but my thought if you want to mute strings couldnt you use the tip of your finger on the 4th string to lightly touch the 5th string so it doesnt ring. Seems the easiest option. Dont think you will need mute on 6th string with thumb, 5th string will do
Quote by GezzyDiversion
Sadokun: Eating cardboard never tasted this good!

Quote by Otis Lee Crenshaw
Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy Ray Cyrus is about as f****** country as a bag of f****** wet mice, alright?
Its viable until i need to use my pinkie which is hard to mute with, i have tried using all downstrokes but it seems very unnatural and i can't keep in time due to the increased speed, i think i will try and improve on my accuracy but i'm nearly there

Thanks for the reply
Quote by Terrible-Lie
Its viable until i need to use my pinkie which is hard to mute with, i have tried using all downstrokes but it seems very unnatural and i can't keep in time due to the increased speed, i think i will try and improve on my accuracy but i'm nearly there

Thanks for the reply

Its probalby unnatural because you dont mute this way alot (right?). Keep practicing and it will feel fine.

Yeah i didnt notice that first, I glanced and thought the chord shapes were the same but closer inspection, places like the 4th bar for example could be tricky with this method. For the 4th bar, you could fret:

2nd string- Index Finger
3rd string- middle
4th string-pinky
5th string- muted using ring finger.

Alternatively, going further on this you could use your index finger to mute the 5th string for the first 3 bars and use your middle, ring and pinky to fret the 2nd 3rd and 4th string (similar shape to a A major barre chord cept no pressure with index).

I usually mute strings using a finger digit that isnt fretting than muting using the tip of my finger on the fretted string below. More comfortable, but thats just me.

and its cool btw
Quote by GezzyDiversion
Sadokun: Eating cardboard never tasted this good!

Quote by Otis Lee Crenshaw
Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy Ray Cyrus is about as f****** country as a bag of f****** wet mice, alright?
My pinkie isn't quite making enough contact with the string above, i tend to play with fingertips which doesn't leave me a lot of room to get contact as it would mean muting the string below when flattening out.

The chord shapes in the 4th bar as you described except for the muting as i was using my ring finger to play a small variation that i thought flowed better and sounded pretty close to the original.

I'll give the muting another go in the morning