After a week of learning soldering, testing pickups, and eBay, I've finally finished modding my Tremonti SE. I was going to post a NGD on it, but because I intended to make so many changes to it I decided to wait.

- Seymour Duncan '59 in neck and Alternative 8 in the bridge.
- Grover Rotomatic locking tuners
- Replaced the black knobs with chrome
- Applied black pickup covers with chrome rings, which I think is real sexy on a black guitar.
- Dyed the fretboard black and applied bird decals. I'm aware PRS doesn't put a bird on the 1st fret. I do.

I already feel like it is a far better instrument than it was when I got it. The original bridge pickup seemed soulless and the neck was too weak and bassy. It didn't stay in tune well either, I had to tune up most of the time I played. The fretboard also had small white streaks that I thought were kinda ugly, and I couldn't seem to get rid of

Since making the changes, the sound is vastly improved, and overall the guitar doesn't feel like a beginner's guitar anymore. The bridge pickup lets me get a monster modern rock tone, but cleans up very nicely. The neck pickup is also great for overdriven solos, and soft yet defined cleans. I'm considering adding coil tapping, but that will be another project for another day. Tuning stability has vastly increased thus far. I love ebony fretboards, and although I couldn't dye the rosewood quite as black as I wished, it still looks much better.

Before and after

Very nice sir.
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
Looks great,

the ott inlays arent to my taste,

but otherwise great job dude and HNGD!!

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Nice, you've definitely given that guitar some character!

How'd you get the birds on there? It's something I'd consider doing to my SE Custom.
Gear:
- Ibanez RGR465M
- Ibanez S770FM
- PRS SE Custom
- Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
Quote by ArpeggiateTHIS
Nice, you've definitely given that guitar some character!

How'd you get the birds on there? It's something I'd consider doing to my SE Custom.

Thank you! The birds are from http://www.inlaysticker.com/, they're just stickers really. Not the same bird designs that PRS uses either, but I still like them.
Quote by Ghostmaker
Thank you! The birds are from http://www.inlaysticker.com/, they're just stickers really. Not the same bird designs that PRS uses either, but I still like them.

I'm just wondering.. will the stickers come off with a lot of practice? are they really sticky?
Quote by SilverRock113
I'm just wondering.. will the stickers come off with a lot of practice? are they really sticky?

They've only been on a short time, not long enough to tell yet. When I was reading about using stickers, I saw another member on this forum had good success with the same company's stickers after over a year. I did kinda mess up and removed one of the birds and replaced it with a spare, it seemed I needed more effort to remove it than what the strings could put on it.
Last edited by Ghostmaker at Aug 13, 2010,