I was watching the Jon Stewart show last night and he had Arcade Fire on. I noticed they have 2 drummers in the band. Now, I don't listen to them very much, and call me old-fashioned, but I don't understand the whole 2 drummer thing. Is this some kind of wierd new indy trend? What's the point?
inb4 Slipknot
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Bands have been using two drummers for ages. Phil Collins on his tours springs to mind, plus the Roadrunner United shows etc.
Phil Collins used a tour drummer so he could be the front man and Slipknot uses 1 drummer with a full kit and 2 "percussionists".

The Arcade Fire thing is that they've got 2 part time drummers, when they were starting out neither one was able to commit full time and now that they're a little more advanced each drummer has a slightly different role to play.. or so I understand.
The Allman Brothers Band also has two drummers, and they go way back. I'm not big into them, so I couldn't tell you whether they trade off playing on different parts of songs, or whether they just play different, complementary parts, but I would guess that one of those must be the case for most bands with two drummers.
Quote by DukeDeRox
Obviously you got this.
The girl who was drumming plays piano and sings also. It seems like something for her to do to add to the song instead of standing there.

Quote by wilty00
Aren't you kind of scared walking around in the dark with a carniverous loon on the loose?
Most of the band play multiple instruments - they don't have two drummers for every song.
Quote by Kozlic
Music doesnt need to be quality to be good.

Press eject, give me the tape, if you know what's good for you
It's like layering guitars, one drummer can play 'rhythm drums' and the other could play 'lead' so to speak.