Page 1 of 5
Everyone knows that in order to prove your hipster cred, you have to "prefer the old stuff". Are there any artists in which its cooler to prefer the newer stuff? Because I honestly can't think of any.

And besides from that, what bands do you honestly prefer the newer stuff to that most "true fans" black sheep?

I love Kings Of Leon's "Only By The Night" album, but really dislike "Youth And Young Manhood" which most of their fans claim is the best.

I also like Sonic Youth's more recent music a lot more than their early stuff.
Guns n' Roses.
¡sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ suɐılɐɹʇsnɐ ʎluo

E-married to danny the fish

Quote by Kensai
That's a purdy mouth you got there, zelestros. Why don't we make good use of that in other ways...
White Stripes. No one ever talks about De Stijl or White Stripes records.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Wow, you've stumped me
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Also, Soundgarden. No one mentions their early records.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Also, Soundgarden. No one mentions their early records.

Nobody can take the whole "Worship Santa" thing serious, which is surprisingly understandable.
Can't think of much, I think bands and artists loose motivation after they make it.

Ozzy's new stuff is ok, better than some of his older stuff sort of.
pantera i suppose, no one ever talks about their first four (not even them). although i personally don't really care for any of their albums after cowboys from hell.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Gregray88
As I Lay Dying are a band that getter better with every album.

And no, they still haven't topped "Shadows Are Security" in my opinion.

But maybe that's because it came out when I liked generic metalcore and has novelty value
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by asator

And no, they still haven't topped "Shadows Are Security" in my opinion.

But maybe that's because it came out when I liked generic metalcore and has novelty value

I dunno, the new album is pretty awesome.
Quote by Jon777
I dunno, the new album is pretty awesome.

Yeah what I've heard of it was better than the one before it, but it's still got nothing on SAS for me.
Quote by myevilside
Guns n' Roses.

really, i dont know anyone who prefers their newer stuff over their older stuff
GENERIC SIGNATURE
Your avatar reminded me, but most hipsters and stuff prefer Radioheads newer stuff. Kid A and after.
I believe Lamb of God has gotten much better over the years. Randy's vocals can be understood easier and seem to be overall more powerful. The rest of the band seems to have improved a lot as well. Even the lyrics are better in my opinion. I'm can't wait until they release another album. I have the Hourglass box set but it's not enough.. I need more!
Pink Floyd's early stuff drifted into obscurity.

I like Iron Maiden's newer stuff, but I wouldn't say I prefer it to the classics. It is close to equal though.
Quote by due 07
Your avatar reminded me, but most hipsters and stuff prefer Radioheads newer stuff. Kid A and after.

Thats actually a good one. Pablo Honey was actually my favorite behind In Rainbows and Kid A. But most fans don't even consider it a Radiohead album.

I actually don't care much for Radiohead anymore. I just don't want to change my avatar, because if I did then nobody would recognize me.
Quote by Jack Off Jill

^ok **** you^

and i would have to say machine heads "the blacking" is a great example
I don't like TV On The Radio's OK Calculator. It's kinda too raw. But their other albums are great.

Also, I was watching some Coheed And Cambria video on youtube and some guy said that he doesn't really like The Year Of The Black Rainbow because it's "watered down do f*uck and not progressive at all". I don't really see how this is relevant for the discussion.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat. - Douglas Adams
A lot of you are completely ignoring the topic.

I just thought of one. Talk Talk.

All of their fans disowned their early new wave style in favor of the post-rock of the last couple albums.

Quote by XdeathcardX
^ok **** you^

Go away, the big kids are talking.
Quote by JacobTheMe
A lot of you are completely ignoring the topic.

I just thought of one. Talk Talk.

All of their fans disowned their early new wave style in favor of the post-rock of the last couple albums.

Go away, the big kids are talking.

I think he meant that he was going to use the White Stripes.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by due 07
Very true, but Radiohead is never that simple. It's roughly:
-never cool to like Pablo Honey
-sort of cool to like The Bends but it's a bit too mainstream for it to be acceptable as a favourite album
-never cool to think of OK Computer as anything other than the best album. Ever.
-...apart from Kid A or Amnesiac which can be your, possibly equal to OK computer, favourite.
-cool to like Hail To The Thief, frowned upon to call it their best.
-cool to like the In Rainbows but definitely not cool to only know/like In Rainbows.

Edit:
Quote by JacobTheMe
Thats actually a good one. Pablo Honey was actually my favorite behind In Rainbows and Kid A. But most fans don't even consider it a Radiohead album.
Lol, you are an example of someone who would fail the classic "True Radiohead fan" (true hipster) test.
Last edited by 12345abcd3 at Aug 13, 2010,
The Beatles. Most people will place the last three, Let It Be, The White Album and Abbey Road, over Please Please Me, With The Beatles and Beatlemania! With The Beatles.

Bruce Springsteen. Born To Run, Nebraska, The River, a lot of things overshadow Greetings from Asbury Park and The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle.

Pink Floyd. There are some who disagree, but most people put albums like Dark Side Of The Moon and The Wall over, say, The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn.

Queen. See how many people you know that listen to Queen I or II regularly. Then see how many listen to A Day At The Races or A Night At The Opera regularly.

RHCP. A lot of people really prefer the stuff with John before Dave came in to the stuff with Hillel.

The Who. How many people own a copy of My Generation or A Quick One? How many people own a copy of Tommy, Who's Next, Who Are You, Live At Leeds, I can go on.

So yeah, mainly progressive acts, people prefer the later stuff(The Beatles prototyped it, The Who invented rock operas, and Queen and Pink Floyd are pillars of the genre. Springsteen I can make a case for being one of the most prog-oriented singer-songwriters). Of course there are exceptions of non-prog artists that people like the newer stuff from, and vice versa, but that seems to be my observation.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by XdeathcardX
^ok **** you^

and i would have to say machine heads "the blacking" is a great example

... Everything about this post is hilarious.
Quote by Gregray88
As I Lay Dying are a band that getter better with every album.

Their latest doesn't trump Ocean.

EDIT: Whoever said Machine Head, I agree. The Blackening was the best album they've ever created.
Quote by myevilside
Guns n' Roses.

I wouldn't say it is better to like the new stuff, but all of the songs on there do take higher places than songs like 'So Fine', 'Bad Apples' & others on my list of favourite GNR songs.
I would say Led Zeppelin definitely fit the bill here.

Easily The Beatles.

Pink Floyd depending on if you count pre-Gilmour or not.

And for most people The Who, although personally, I think their early work with Tommy was just phenomenal.
I'd say Slipknot. More people are going to own a copy of Volume 3 than the Self Titled. At least that's how it is where I'm at.
Quote by Epicbizzjizz
I would say Led Zeppelin definitely fit the bill here.

Easily The Beatles.

Pink Floyd depending on if you count pre-Gilmour or not.

And for most people The Who, although personally, I think their early work with Tommy was just phenomenal.

I wouldn't say Zeppelin fit the bill. People really only care about 1-4.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by UntilISleep
I'd say Slipknot. More people are going to own a copy of Volume 3 than the Self Titled. At least that's how it is where I'm at.

it's a shame, the self titled is really much better IMO

OT, the new Brand Stuff is preffered by a lot of people who don't really want the whole 'angsty teen' stuff

Quote by Jack Off Jill
I wouldn't say Zeppelin fit the bill. People really only care about 1-4.

Physical Graffiti is one of their best. To me at least.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at Aug 13, 2010,
The only band I can think of is A Day To Remember.

And that's only because I think Homesick is better than For Those Who Have Heart. xD
Gear:

Ibanez SR700
Ibanez GSR200
Yamaha RGX 121Z

Peavey Tour series 450 Head + Peavey 410 TVX Cab
VOX ADVT15

Line 6: Guitarport
Quote by Burgery
Physical Graffiti is one of their best. To me at least.

But I think this thread is referring to general consensus.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill

More like their middle stuff - White Blood Cells and Elephant. Get Behind Me Satan and Icky Thump got a bit too "mainstream" in some people's eyes.
Page 1 of 5