Hi there!

I was just wondering what you guys use for cleaning your fretboard, strings and body of your guitar? I found an old Strat while cleaning out the loft a couple of days ago and it needs a good scrub. I don't want to ruin the finish or stain the fretboard at all. Sorry if this isn't the right section to post (If so will remove) Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks
Quote by Jason
Ancient scrolls predict that when Fred Durst and Lil Wayne perform a guitar duet while touching the tips of their penises together, the gates of hell will open and swallow us all.

Hehe.

Last edited by CharlieSlyster at Aug 13, 2010,
I used one of those magic eraser things and it took all the gunk and grime off a really old guitar.
I use lem-oil on the fretboards and palm wax on the bodies. Seems to work wonders.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
I use wood floor cleaner on the fret board; only stuff that gets all the gunk off. I also use mineral oil on it. I've got some guitar polish for the body.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by halfj06
what kinda wood is the fretboard?

Maple
Quote by Jason
Ancient scrolls predict that when Fred Durst and Lil Wayne perform a guitar duet while touching the tips of their penises together, the gates of hell will open and swallow us all.

Hehe.

Quote by CharlieSlyster
Hi there!

I was just wondering what you guys use for cleaning your fretboard, strings and body of your guitar? I found an old Strat while cleaning out the loft a couple of days ago and it needs a good scrub. I don't want to ruin the finish or stain the fretboard at all. Sorry if this isn't the right section to post (If so will remove) Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks

I think you had better define "Old Strat" before you set about cleaning it. If you found an old 1950s or 1960s Strat, cleaning it thoroughly would likely injure it's value.

If it is a Strat made in the last 20 years or so, there are plenty of guitar polishes out there that do a fine job. Fender and Dunlop make good ones. As for cleaning a maple fretboard, if it has a gloss finish you can use a toothbrush and guitar polish. If it has a matte or satin finish, skip the polish and just use the toothbrush.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
I think you had better define "Old Strat" before you set about cleaning it. If you found an old 1950s or 1960s Strat, cleaning it thoroughly would likely injure it's value.

If it is a Strat made in the last 20 years or so, there are plenty of guitar polishes out there that do a fine job. Fender and Dunlop make good ones. As for cleaning a maple fretboard, if it has a gloss finish you can use a toothbrush and guitar polish. If it has a matte or satin finish, skip the polish and just use the toothbrush.

Don't worry it's just a cheap strat copy. I was going to use it as a project guitar. Cheers
Quote by Jason

Hehe.