ive noticed my habit that when im strumming chords i dont rest my arm on the guitar at all and strum using my elbow, and when i rest my hand on the bridge and strum with the wrist i find it very difficult.

so i was just wondering does it matter if dont rest my arm and strum using the elbow? or should i learn how to strum with the wrist (if yes please give good video links)

thanks in advance
www.myspace.com/the3nvy

Fender '04 USA Strat-->Boss CS-3-->Vox Satchurator-->EHX Big Muff-->Boss NS-2-->Behringer Vintage Phaser-->Boss Super Chorus-->EHX Memory Boy-->Marshall 80watt Valvestate
I dont have any video links for ya, just try youtube. But it is definately worth learning to strum from the wrist rather than making a much bigger motion from the elbow.

You get much more control of what you play when you strum from the wrist and are more easily able to pick out notes if you want to change from a strum to picking quickly.
Last one on drugs is a queer.
Your elbow doesn't need to be unnaturally stiff or anything, but your wrist should be the main thing you use to strum. Just try to loosen it up and bend it inward towards the guitar a bit and lit it move freely.
when picking single notes etc. i use my wrist for that but ill have a look at some lessons on it
www.myspace.com/the3nvy

Fender '04 USA Strat-->Boss CS-3-->Vox Satchurator-->EHX Big Muff-->Boss NS-2-->Behringer Vintage Phaser-->Boss Super Chorus-->EHX Memory Boy-->Marshall 80watt Valvestate
make a makeshift sling out of a belt or string, bungee cord would be better
make it long enough so that when sitting with the guitar you can reach the strings but not restrict either wrist or offer too much restriction to the elbow
position the sling so that it`s about halfway along your forearm

the idea behind the sling is to lightly restrict the elbow but keep the wrist totally free

you still use the elbow but emphasis should be on the wrist

make sure you do a warm up that includes wrist strecthes
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Aug 13, 2010,