I tuned my guitar down to Drop C/C Standard and they're feeling kind of floppy. I was using .09 and .10's before and those felt loose, so I put some D'Addario Light Top Heavy Bottoms
(.10-.52) on. They still don't feel right and buzz quite often. Should I put a heavier gauge or could this be fixed with setting up some things on the guitar?
Gear:
Jackson DXMG
Schecter 006 Deluxe
BC Rich Revenge Warlock
Jasmine Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
Just use the pitch shifter on your amp to get that low, unless you actually care about the tone.

Those strings are way too thin to play that low. You need at leasts 11's or 12's. It also has to do with the action on your guitar, which yu should learn how to adjust, or if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, many guitar shops will adjust it for you.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
For tunings that low I would use AT LEAST 11s or 12s. I used to use 11-54 for D standard and that seemed to work pretty well. Remember when you use low tunings it also helps to raise the action a bit because the looser the strings the more fret buzz you will get.
Well, actually, my top three strings feel fine(E,B,G), but the bottom strings feel loose. They're thicker than your average 11's, so I think it might have to do with adjusting the guitar.

Edit: Just read above post. So if I adjusted the action, would it fix the problem?
Gear:
Jackson DXMG
Schecter 006 Deluxe
BC Rich Revenge Warlock
Jasmine Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
Last edited by spacec0wboy at Aug 13, 2010,
Quote by guitarmaniac88
Just use the pitch shifter on your amp to get that low, unless you actually care about the tone.

I have owned plenty of amps and none of them have had a built-in pitch shifter. That's really a rare effect to have on an amp. Even if TS had one i wouldn't recommend it because hearing your guitar play in one key and your amp a different one would totally sound like crap.
Quote by spacec0wboy

Edit: Just read above post. So if I adjusted the action, would it fix the problem?

I will get rid of some of the fret buzz and will make the strings feel a little tighter.
It has a pitch-shifter, but it's not too good and only sounds good at raising the sound up an octave. I'm going to try and raise the action and see if that fixes it.
Gear:
Jackson DXMG
Schecter 006 Deluxe
BC Rich Revenge Warlock
Jasmine Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
I use 10's on a 25 1/2 inch scale with it always in C# standard. I would use 11's if it's 24 3/4 scale length, and if it any shorter, don't tune it that low. You will need to check all of your intonation though, it's going to need adjusting.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Try Medium top heavy bottom (.011-0.52). I use that gauge for with my guitar that I keep in D standard/drop C, and they feel about the same tension as .010 guage strings in e standard. My guitar has a 25 1/2 inch scale btw.