(Written with the permission of TNfootballfan62)

New pick guard and pickups! (Guitar on the left)

I purchased this through TNT Custom Guitars (guitarpartsonline,com):
http://www.guitarpartsonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=647

Looks:
What impressed me most when I first received it was how clean the wiring was. The picture on the site was VERY close to what I received.

First impressions:
I ordered the pick guard on Monday, and the pick guard arrived the Saturday of the same week. I've never ordered anything else that was customized, but that seems like a pretty nice time frame. The $20 flat rate shipping was also nice (I bought a set of locking tuners for the guitar as well).

Features:
The setup I decided on was a SSS pick guard, loaded with 3 hot rail style pickups, rated at 12.2k output; master volume, neck tone, middle tone, and 3 three way switches, one for each pickup. The three way switches function as on/off/on, with the down position being both coils, and up position being coil split. I really like the diversity of this setup, as it allows much room to tweak your sound.

Sound:
First some info about the guitar: the guitar I installed the pick guard on is a Dean Avalanche strat copy, which has a basswood body, maple neck, and rosewood fretboard. I chose this guitar because the basswood is a very neutral wood, allow the pickups' tone to really shine, and because it was my first electric guitar, and I wanted to make it into a real player.

The bridge pickup is hot with both coils, almost too hot for blues and classic rock, etc.), but sounds great for heavier music like 70s and 80s metal, punk, grunge or pop punk. When coil split, even with a lot of gain, the chime still cuts through very nicely. The middle pickup has kind of a PAF feel to it. Warm, responsive, but still has enough chime to give it a unique tone. It does get a little thin when coil split playing clean, but turning on the neck pickup evens it out nicely. At first I was a bit disappointed with the neck pickup, specifically when playing leads. To really get a nice, full lead sound, you really have to tweak the height to find the "Sweet spot," but once you do, it sounds great. As for clean, the neck pickup retains it's warmth when full or coil split, making it great for both arpeggios and chords.

All three pickups are also very quiet, even when split. Overall, the sound is much better then I expected for a $100 pick guard setup.

Durability:
The pots turn smoothly. The switches are sturdy, and don't feel cheap or breakable.

Overall:
Very nice quality for not a ton of cash. I can't do a direct comparison between these and Seymour Duncan Hotrails, but I will vouch that these have very nice tone and feel to them. I'd recommend these to anyone who wants to extend their strat's tonal range.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
close up on the pick guard? haha also very cool
And if I don't see ya, in a long, long while

I'll try to find you

Left of the dial
Last edited by lostjesse at Aug 13, 2010,
^Can't. It was my friend's camera. Not sure when I'll be able to use it again.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp