I've been doing some more research, looking into single coil sized P90's this time.

I stumbled upon this, but it's really confusing to me. Some sites say that is basically a P90 voiced single coil, while others say that it is a single coil sized Super Distortion (hence the SDS, I suppose).

As far as I'm aware, isn't the single coil sized Super Distortion called the "Super Distortion S"?

Can anyone shed any light on this?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
A P90 is a single-coil.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
From DiMarzio site.

The bar magnets that power the SDS-1™ are ceramic, but the sound and feel are very similar to Alnico-equipped soapbars, partly due to the big steel polepieces and spacer bar.

soapbars are p90's aint they?

I dunno about it being a super D though. The site also says it has higher output than a regular single tho,
@JagerSlushy It's a type of single coil, but it's really not the same thing...

@siverstorm I know what the site says, that's where I went first, before doing any other research. That's how I discovered the pickup, because I was looking for a P90/soapbar/whatever you want to call it, in a single coil strat sized format.

So we know what the Dimarzio site says, but why do people say this?
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Guitar+Pickup/product/DiMarzio/SDS-1+Super+Distortion/10/1

I'm not looking for a pickup designed to play metal. I'm looking for something like alternative/industrial, a la early Nine Inch Nails & Marilyn Manson.

If you remember (I doubt it, I hardly do), a long time ago I started a thread asking about P90's, because watching live material from NIN & MM made me realize that they both use P90's when they're doing that sound. So now I'm continuing that research, because I've decided I don't want to get a guitar routed for P90's.

Now I'm looking for something to go in the middle single coil position of an Ibanez RG, but something that sounds like a P90, not a strat pickup.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 13, 2010,
Well just skimming over the reviews some said that it's hotter than a single coil, to compare to a p90.

General consensus I've read on that link is that it's good for crunchy sounds. Which is kinda what a P90/single coil was meant for IMO. They also said it was open to high gain crunch if necessary and still sound good.

From the looks of it every review on that first page has said the pup is good for blues, classic rock, modern rock, and heavy metal.

I'm pretty sure the tones you're going for are somewhere inbetween modern rock and classic rock.
Anyone else have anything to add/comment?

Bumping this before it gets lost in the abyss that is EG.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ijust love the SDS-1. I have it in the neck-pos- old Aria Pro II. I can get fat jazz tone and very nice cleans. Very good and hot for a single coil. Awesome pick up.
Used this pickup in the neck position on a Fast Eddie Clarke tribute strat I put together, since it's what he uses. It is very well balanced across the tonal range and the best way I can describe it is a nastier, yet more refined P-90. Great sensitivity and very flexible and controllable with tone and volume pots. I'm running a 1m volume pot and 500k tone pot with a 300k MusiCap capacitor with it, and it's authoritative and punchy on clean settings, and an absolute screaming pile driver with distortion. This compares to a regular P-90 like a Gibson Dirty Fingers humbucker would compare to a standard PAF. Great choice for the neck position on a guitar with a high output humbucker at the bridge. I couldn't be happier with it for this project.
Attachments:
IMG_0342.JPG
Please do not bump old threads.

There is even an announcement for it on the top of the sub forum in both EG and GG&A.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/