Page 1 of 2
By this I mean why the flying capital **** are people posting threads about this? I've seen at least 5 over the past 2 days. What the hell man?
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Likely because it's an accessible amp-line from a pretty well esteemed company.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
people see it's name, people see it's price, people buy.... people post
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by julzius
people see it's name, people see it's price, people buy.... people post

Ah, the circle of gear.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Because it's a good, relable product from a major manufacturer at a reasonable price. You usually only get two of those three things.
Quote by jean_genie
Because it's a good, relaible product from a major manufacturer at a reasonable price. You usually only get two of those three things.

no. the reason these are so popular is because Fender can afford to have their amps shipped to every mom and pop guitar store in the world as opposed to a company like Egnater or Vox.

a Fender Frontman 60 costs $200 and the 100w costs $300. there are countless amps that kick the frontman's ass tonewise in that pricerange. for $350, you could get a Fender Pro jr., Bugera V22, Epiphone Valve Senior, Fender Super Champ XD or a Vox VT50.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Aug 13, 2010,
fender is way overrated imo, as alot of things are. and ive just never really liked fender to begin with. idk people jizz so much over an amp with good cleans. there are so many amps that can do cleans just as good and better than fender that get pretty much ignored unless you do research/are on these forums regularly lol
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by jean_genie
Because it's a good, relable product from a major manufacturer at a reasonable price. You usually only get two of those three things.

good point.

Fender goes after 'sound' more than bells and whistles.

The great thing about Fender amps is they don't mess around if there is a quality issue. Reasonable repair or you get a new amp.
Just to piss you off and to make threads about how many frontman threads there are even though technically this is in fact one of them.
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
They're popular because they say Fender on them, and beginners see the name and think it must be great, and they're relatively cheap. Since they dont have a lot of experience with gear they think they are great amps. Thats about it really.
Yeah, beginners see the fender title and go for it..

What they don't realise is that it's a reliable, very solid and warm sounding amps that stay consistent at all volumes. My university has 2 in every studio and a few of the places I play keep them as in house amps and I've found they actually have a wonderful sound if you have a good sounding guitar and good personal touch.
^^^^^

I really don't think the whole "beginner" excuse for the popularity of frontman amps is gonna fly with me. Think about it, when you were a beginner the last thing you wanted was a Fender Frontman. **** That.

It actually seems to me that more people are attracted to the death trap that is the Marshall MG series.
what the deuce? I don't think he's trolling. Indeed, pointless thread is pointless, but I highly doubt he's doing this to troll. He's just overreacting to the fact that a highly accessible amp has got gear-adolescents swindled every which-way.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by Jhachey22

no. the reason these are so popular is because Fender can afford to have their amps shipped to every mom and pop guitar store in the world as opposed to a company like Egnater or Vox.

a Fender Frontman 60 costs $200 and the 100w costs $300. there are countless amps that kick the frontman's ass tonewise in that pricerange. for $350, you could get a Fender Pro jr., Bugera V22, Epiphone Valve Senior, Fender Super Champ XD or a Vox VT50.

Fender doesn't "afford" anything with mom and pop stores. They buy from distributors. Fender can "afford" to drop truckloads at Guitar Center etc. They get credit lines direct from Fender. If anything financial were a factor it'd be the margin over wholesale. Fact is, it's popular because it sells a lot, so it sells out and gets reordered, the cost goes sown with volume, so it sells even more, etc.

"Tonewise" is (1) a matter of preference, somewhat from previous experiences (with sounds, not brands) but more with learning all there is about a present piece, (B) so variable due to differences in axes, strings, acoustics, f/x and just about everything outside the box that with enough experience one begins to grasp that it's something under one's control rather than inherent in the unit, and (three) that it's so easy to fool one's preferences with a blind listening test that arguing the point is pointless.

The 65R is built like a rock and it goes up to eleven. You can drag it all over, banging it around from gig to gig, and it'll keep going up to eleven (or 22 of you break it in two) because it's built like a rock. When I needed something else, it was also, not instead of. When I needed "tonewise" I got more of that with one DeltaLabs DGFX-1 than I could have gotten with a whole Guitar Center full of amps
It sells for the same reason Marshall MGs sell. It has the right name on it and it is affordable. End of story.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by drmcclainphd
Fender doesn't "afford" anything with mom and pop stores. They buy from distributors. Fender can "afford" to drop truckloads at Guitar Center etc. They get credit lines direct from Fender. If anything financial were a factor it'd be the margin over wholesale. Fact is, it's popular because it sells a lot, so it sells out and gets reordered, the cost goes sown with volume, so it sells even more, etc.

"Tonewise" is (1) a matter of preference, somewhat from previous experiences (with sounds, not brands) but more with learning all there is about a present piece, (B) so variable due to differences in axes, strings, acoustics, f/x and just about everything outside the box that with enough experience one begins to grasp that it's something under one's control rather than inherent in the unit, and (three) that it's so easy to fool one's preferences with a blind listening test that arguing the point is pointless.

The 65R is built like a rock and it goes up to eleven. You can drag it all over, banging it around from gig to gig, and it'll keep going up to eleven (or 22 of you break it in two) because it's built like a rock. When I needed something else, it was also, not instead of. When I needed "tonewise" I got more of that with one DeltaLabs DGFX-1 than I could have gotten with a whole Guitar Center full of amps
orly?
I like the tone of my friend's frontman 15r. If you ignore the distortion channel i think they're good at what they do.
THIS IS THE JAPANESE KABUKI ROCK!!!!
Ibanez RG1550 w/ BKP nailbombs
Aria Magna series w/ Dimarzio SD
Blackstar HT 5
Fender FM210R
Ibanez DE7
Keeley/Boss BD2
Line 6 floor pod
Quote by beckyjc
Well, id rather have a frontman than an MG. The frontmans cleans are nicer.

+1
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Why is McDonalds so popular? Is it because they have the best cheeseburgers out? No, its because they're cheap and convenient to purchase.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Why is McDonalds so popular? Is it because they have the best cheeseburgers out? No, its because they're cheap and convenient to purchase.

+1.

it's also why the spider 15 watts sell so well. cheap, and available.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The after-purchase effects are the same as McDonald's too... You're so excited when you buy it, it smells delicious the whole way home. With great anticipation you start eating, and its good, very good. Then by the third double cheeseburger you start getting heart palpatations and general discomfort and end up throwing away a few leftover bites. Hours later you feel terrible and wish you had never bought it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Cause, it comes with the Squier starter pack, Affinity series, and everyone who likes Fender wants a strat, they buy, find out 6 months later the amp sucks, sell, now there are an excess of unwanted Frontman amps.

Adopt one today and save a poor amps life.
Quote by TimmyPage06
Yeah, beginners see the fender title and go for it..

What they don't realise is that it's a reliable, very solid and warm sounding amps that stay consistent at all volumes. My university has 2 in every studio and a few of the places I play keep them as in house amps and I've found they actually have a wonderful sound if you have a good sounding guitar and good personal touch.

that applies to any amp really. i personally find that there are some nice sounds to be had from any cheap junky amps.. a well tweaked MG or frontman can sound good enough in a mix even if it might not 'feel' right. I've used some absolute junk for gigs and for recording and, truth be told, the only person who ever had any gripes with it was myself.

Of course if you're not happy with the gear you're using then you're probably not gonna be enjoying playing so much so it's always good to be chasing your perfect tone for an eternity even if nobody else never notices a huge difference. Please yourself, i say.

Quote by tubetime86
The after-purchase effects are the same as McDonald's too... You're so excited when you buy it, it smells delicious the whole way home. With great anticipation you start eating, and its good, very good. Then by the third double cheeseburger you start getting heart palpatations and general discomfort and end up throwing away a few leftover bites. Hours later you feel terrible and wish you had never bought it.

yep that sums it up. cheap solid state amps are the macdonalds of the amp world - they do the job but they don't satisfy. the amps make your guitar loud enough but they don't make it sound particularly good, just like how a big mac fills you up so you're not hungry anymore but it does feel like you've just eaten a brick.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Aug 18, 2010,
Re the cheeseburher analogy.

hint...a $1 cheesburger really does taste as good as one that costs $5 at a boutique restaurant. Also mcdonald's probably has better health standards, easier access, more parking, no need to leave a tip, etc.

A Fender is a known and reliable product. They have earned their reputation...it didn't just fall from the sky. Fender, like Microsoft, Mcdonalds, Boeing, Apple, etc. were little guys who beat out the competition by giving value for the dollar.
Quote by Raptorfingers
hint...a $1 cheesburger really does taste as good as one that costs $5 at a boutique restaurant. Also mcdonald's probably has better health standards, easier access, more parking, no need to leave a tip, etc.

I have no idea how you can say that...

As for Fender... Who said they haven't earned their reputation? What are you even talking about? We're not talking about Fender the brand, we're talking about the Frontman line. You're right, Fender did earn their reputation (for better or worse) but the Frontman is sold based on that alone, not actual merits.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Aug 18, 2010,
Big Mac's are good, I'm pretty sure that the only reason that they're so popular is because they have heroin in them, just like Fender Frontmen. (plural)
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by Raptorfingers

If you ask me, a $1 McD's burger doesn't even taste as good as a slightly more expensive ($1.50? $2?) and lesser known (I guess) BK burger. Christ, McD's and Bk might even be the same price, basically, BK just tastes better to me. The problem is that BKs do not occur every two blocks like McDs.

(the analogy is true for burgers and also for amps, I think)

PS Someone make a Burgera joke for me.
Last edited by Sir Anonymous at Aug 18, 2010,
Quote by drmcclainphd
Bunch of sour tart ranting

Why in the name of breasts did you revive this thread? Let it die, you blasted fool.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by Raptorfingers

A Fender is a known and reliable product. They have earned their reputation...it didn't just fall from the sky. Fender, like Microsoft, Mcdonalds, Boeing, Apple, etc. were little guys who beat out the competition by giving value for the dollar.

ah you're obviously missing out on ye olde english pub lunches then cheaper and better than macdonalds...

it's not about how they taste. I like the way they taste. but they make me feel like i've eaten a brick or two.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Sir Anonymous

PS Someone make a Burgera joke for me.

They're usually fried
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Burger King sucks. About the only burger I like from McDee's is the Quarter Pounder with Cheese/no onion. But like all fast food burgers, they are great when you first start out, then you start to wonder and when you are done you are sick to your stomach and vow to never do that to yourself again.

oh wait, this is an Amp forum in GGnA. Damn. Got sidetracked

TS: I bought a Frontman 212 DSP because at first it sounded like a good idea, the online reviews were good and the sales guy made it sound pretty good. But after I spent some time with it I began to wonder and when I was done, I was sick to my stomach and vowed to never do that to myself again.

PS: this is a silly thread and if I get a warning I'm going to be pissed.

Edit: The $5+ restaurant burgers are by far much much better. Kinda like a Twin, Blackface or HRD.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 18, 2010,
Mcdonalds arent cheap burgers there overpriced!
I've had better for cheaper i guess the cheaper burgers are like the agile to your epiphone..
Also Burger King rules they named a burger after me.

anyways. Frontmans. Cheap, check. Known brand name, check!
They any good? nah not really but ^

nuff said.
Burger king burgers are far far better than mcdonalds. However English Pub meal burgers are far far superior!

As far as frontmans go. Terrible amps. I would probably prefer a marshall MG for distortion over a fender frontman. They are the most fizzy, tinny sounding amps I have ever played through.

In the rehearsal rooms we use I often end up getting stuck with a fender FM 4*12 cab and it sucks. It makes my savage sound a little tinny O_o .

The marshall MG Cabs even blow that thing out of the water.

Anybody who claims the frontman series of amps are good is deluded.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
My FM212DSP sounded much more full and I could push the distortion better than any tin box of an excuse of an MG.

Also, BurgerKing burgers are not that bad - but they have the same problems as Mc Dees as to the declining value experience maybe worse. As if they heaps of MSG or something. Don't even get me started on Taco Bell
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
My FM212DSP sounded much more full and I could push the distortion better than any tin box of an excuse of an MG.

Also, BurgerKing burgers are not that bad - but they have the same problems as Mc Dees as to the declining value experience maybe worse. As if they heaps of MSG or something. Don't even get me started on Taco Bell

+ 1 When talking distortion channel, both the MG and the frontman aren't even worth mentioning. For cleans, the frontman isn't terrible, but its not great either.

As for BK and McD's, Burger King is better when its good, but its also much more inconsistent. A Mcdonalds burger is always exactly the same, you know what you're getting...

TS - I don't think you needed this information for any useful reason, so I don't feel too bad, but I apologize for the massive derailment I caused... I just love cheeseburgers.

Edit: Wendy's 99 cent bacon cheeseburger. Too bad the one near me is a roach motel.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Raptorfingers

Have you ever eaten anywhere but McDonald's? Holy **** nobody can be that ignorant. And refer to Dan's post for a response to the second paragraph.

Quote by drmcclainphd
Fender doesn't "afford" anything with mom and pop stores. They buy from distributors. Fender can "afford" to drop truckloads at Guitar Center etc. They get credit lines direct from Fender. If anything financial were a factor it'd be the margin over wholesale. 1. Fact is, it's popular because it sells a lot, so it sells out and gets reordered, the cost goes sown with volume, so it sells even more, etc.

"Tonewise" is 2. (1) a matter of preference, somewhat from previous experiences (with sounds, not brands) but more with learning all there is about a present piece, 3. (B) so variable due to differences in axes, strings, acoustics, f/x and just about everything outside the box that with enough experience one begins to grasp that it's something under one's control rather than inherent in the unit, and 4. (three) that it's so easy to fool one's preferences with a blind listening test that arguing the point is pointless.

5. The 65R is built like a rock and it goes up to eleven. You can drag it all over, banging it around from gig to gig, and it'll keep going up to eleven (or 22 of you break it in two) because it's built like a rock. When I needed something else, it was also, not instead of. When I needed "tonewise" I got more of that with one DeltaLabs DGFX-1 than I could have gotten with a whole Guitar Center full of amps

1. That makes no sense. It's popular because it's popular? It's popular because Fender is an extremely well known brand and the price of entry is low. N00bs who know nothing of tone think, "Oh, Fender's a good brand. That's the one I want."

2. Find me someone who prefers a Frontman over any decent tube amp and I'll show you someone with no ears.

3. Your tone is inherent in the amp. Anyone with any experience knows that it's the fundamental base of your tone.

4. I'm willing to take that up. Clips will be posted in a few days of my Frontman 15 and Blues Jr. as I'm leaving to go on vacation in an hour.

5. The Frontman is not built like a rock. If you think it is, you're delirious or have no idea what you're talking about. And if you think a Delta Labs modeler compares to a room full of amps, again you're delirious or have no idea what you're talking about.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Aug 18, 2010,
Page 1 of 2