By that I mean. a custom as you design it yourself. Seeing that Jackson customs are really expensive, Gibby customs would be worthy. I kinda want a Rising Sun explorer within my lifetime, so I was wondering how it was, or if you can. Thanks.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Yeah, I custom ordered a les Paul with 3 single coil pups, bolt on neck, mahogany body with walnut toneblock, and a maple wizard style neck. Amazing guitar. Color was chamelion
Don't custom order a Gibson!
If you're gonna get a custom guitar get a Carvin. Great craftsmanship, and your guitar is gonna be alot cheaper then if you got it retail.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Slashestranged
Yeah, I custom ordered a les Paul with 3 single coil pups, bolt on neck, mahogany body with walnut toneblock, and a maple wizard style neck. Amazing guitar. Color was chamelion

You joke not? Where is it now?

Nah, you joke.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by Pencil Man
You joke not? Where is it now?

Nah, you joke.

well, it's kinda rotting away in my basement cuz I'm scared to play it. I also got abalone block inlays up till 12th fret. 12th fret had an Acdc style lightning bolt then past there were trapezoid. I also forgot to mention it's 24 frets and instead of a Tom bridge it goes through the guitar schecter style but it's still fixed bridge.
From what I've heard. Gibson won't let you make a custom guitar.

Why would you want a custom Gibson anyways? They're assholes. If you're going to shell out that much dough, you might as well go ESP, and do whatever the **** you want with your guitar, instead of having some pricks tell you what you can and (much moreso) what you can't do with it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
For Gibson custom shop you're talking way more than pretty much any other custom shop there is. A custom paintjob explorer will probably still come out at several thousand dollars.
If you actually have the money to blow then you're better off going somewhere else where you'll get what you want built better and cheaper than Gibson are likely to.
Quote by Slashestranged
^ yes you can, go to their website. I called them to get one.
The joke wasn't funny the first time you posted, it's not funny now.

You can't just order a custom guitar from Gibson. Gibson only make custom guitars for one hundred clients at a time and will only accept a new client after one of their existing clients has parted ways with them. Even if you were somehow one of the one hundred listed (and were rubbing shoulders with the likes of Slash, Zakk Wylde and Joe Perry) then you would still have to pony up upwards of twelve grand for a custom instrument.
The only exception is that anyone can place an order for one of their existing guitars (i.e. not limited edition models or oddball models from decades ago) in a different finish, limited to the finishes they commonly use or finishes they have used in the past. So you can, for example, order a 1958 VOS Reissue Les Paul but with a worn red finish, a Firebird V in goldtop gold, etc. You can not order an existing model with a custom colour, special effect finish or artwork finish. These orders cost considerably more than the stock guitar woudl be; often it is far cheaper to buy the standard guitar and have a private luthier strip the finish and repaint it for you.

Cheaper options include:
  • ESP Custom Shop. These guys will make you absolutely anything you want, and I do mean anything. Check out the Japanese ESP website for examples of some of the bizarre creations they have come up with. However, they are also one of the most expensive Custom Shops out there; custom orders start at US$6,000 and go up from there very rapidly.
  • Fender Custom Shop. They will take orders from anyone, starting at £1,800 (I'm not entirely sure what the US price is). They are by far the cheapest full Custom Shop around. You can even name specifically who you want to work on your guitar. The limitations are of course that they won't make a direct copy of another company's guitar and it's very, very rare for them to accept any request for a set neck or neck-through instrument.
  • Warmoth. They are much like Fender's Custom Shop, although they do make bodies which are direct copies of guitars from many other brands than just Fender. However, they do not make full guitars, only parts; you have to assemble the guitar yourself and it is up to you to ensure that every single part of it is correct. They have a wide range of finishes although they do not accept custom finish requests. They will, however, sell you an unfinished body so you can do the finish work yourself.
  • Carvin. Make a wide variety of guitars with a wide variety of options, however they are not a true Custom Shop in that you are essentually picking from a set of stock options, much like buying any other production guitar.
  • Local private luthiers. Look for local ads, ask in your local guitar stores, etc. Small, local companies or individual luthiers can make you anything you can dream of and are usually cheaper than any major company, or are at least reasonably priced. You'll also get to be more involved with the design and construction of the guitar.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Slashestranged

Yea and I own all the rights to Hello Kitty so every time you pull out that squier you're afraid to talk about you owe me a grand.

And TS, if you're in North america I say going with Carvin, unless you have more than $7,000 then I'd go ESP custom shop since I am an ESP fanboy. Can I come with you to the factory if you go inspect it? Pretty please? I wanna go to Japan again.
^Listen to Mr.Flibble, he knows what he is talking about.

If I were you, I would go with a Warmoth, and then paint/finish it yourself or get it done by somebody else.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by TMF128 at Aug 13, 2010,
Quote by TMF128
^Listen to this man. He knows what he is talking about.

I have a feeling that was meant for Flibble
Quote by siverstorm
I have a feeling that was meant for Flibble

Yeah, it was, I was just too late
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.