Hey UG, I know there will be blood shed over this single question but...

I'm wanting to start messing around with recording my guitar work and whatnot to fancy it up and document it on my computer...

Although, the only microphones I own are;

A headset (with one of those tiny pinhole microphones)

and...

My little sisters Guitar Hero microphone...

They're both USB microphones, so I'm not expecting anything other than crappy quality.

But the question is, would it actually work and which one of the two should I use?

Thanks in advance.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by HomeRecording
use the guitar hero mic if that's the best you've got available

Thanks for the fast reply

Yes, the guitar hero mic would be the very best I have. Now for recording software, should I use Reaper? Or Audacity?

I'm planning on multi tracking and whatnot.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by Mopy
Thanks for the fast reply

Yes, the guitar hero mic would be the very best I have. Now for recording software, should I use Reaper? Or Audacity?

I'm planning on multi tracking and whatnot.

I use Audacity with a $10 mike I bought from target. It works for me pretty well.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

I love you!

Quote by jibran
You live in Australia.

Bill Frisell Group
Quote by afterthewar
I use Audacity with a $10 mike I bought from target. It works for me pretty well.

Can you multi track with Audacity? Sorry for all these noobish questions, this is my first attempt at recording.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Use both. Audacity is to REAPER as MS Paint is to Photoshop. Photoshop gives you a lot more options, but Paint is still better suited to some things, ya dig?

And yes, you can record multiple tracks with Audacity, but if you do very many it gets kind of messy.
Last edited by werty22 at Aug 14, 2010,
>Click<

Just recorded that, improvised, but the quality is still decent none the less.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Reaper is better by far for multi tracking but if you want to quickly record one thing and not add too many effects, you can use Audacity.

I would still go with Reaper in the end though, much better program and well worth the price.

As for the two mics, use the Rockband/Guitar Hero one for now and upgrade to a good mic and an audio interface down the road if you need better sound quality.