Hi guys I have two questions.

I'm about to order a Vox Big Bad Wah from America, and I was wondering if it would work in Australia with my 9v battery? I don't want to buy it and it doesn't work over here...

Secondly:

Are Big Muffs a wah friendly fuzz? If not could you suggest one?

Thanks!
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
9V batteries are the same everywhere... If you want to use an adapter you need one rated for Australian wall voltage though. Very few fuzzes work well with a wah. You could get one of the wah buffers sold by FoxRox or Area 51 and install it though. It'd work with everything then.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
You should just be able to plug in the Wah like any other pedal, regardless of where it's from... half my pedals come from the US and I've never had a problem.

And as for the BM question... I don't like to run my BM with the wah, but that might just be me.
Well I may be wrong...but I think the big bad wah is meant to work with just about any distortion, or series of efx...since Satch is a big fan of using weird pedals and what not.
i've bought heaps of gear from the states and it all works fine, bit of a waste when they send along a us adaptor though :P
i have a big muff and a vox v847 wah and they work ok together, not terrific thought. the wah kind of just filters out a massive chunk of tone going into the wah so i tend to leave it all the way back when i do use it with my muff, it sounds like you've turned the tone knob right the way down, but as for traditional wah sounds i'd go with another fuzz. big muffs rule though!
gear:
Charvel 750XL w/ Duncan SH15
Squier Affinity HSS strat
Orange Tiny Terror Combo
Yamaha RBX 170 bass
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff Tone Wicker
EHX Stereo Electric Mistress
Hardwire Delay
Vox V-847A Wah
Artec Dual Boost
Boss EQ
um I put my Big muff in front of my Wilson Effects Ten Spot 2 Wah and it sounds killer, but it is buffered to handle having a fuzz before it.
Sounds ok after wah as well
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Thanks for the advice dudes! Expect a NPD sooon! \m/'
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by druz15_UG
um I put my Big muff in front of my Wilson Effects Ten Spot 2 Wah and it sounds killer, but it is buffered to handle having a fuzz before it.
Sounds ok after wah as well

does not compute.

the wah's input won't be loaded down by a fuzz.

however, a wah's input CAN be loaded down by the input of a fuzz. That's why people have issues...
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Aug 14, 2010,
I swear people don't even bother to read the OP -_-
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by forsaknazrael
no one said he didn't, and no one said wah + fuzz can't sound good......

but the TS asked whether his big muff (a fuzz pedal) would sound good with wah and i simply gave him an example of wah and fuzz sounding good together
Quote by forsaknazrael
Haha. Indeed.
I haven't really thought to use a wah with a Big Muff. I'll do so either tomorrow or Sunday, and let you know what I think.

It shouldn't have the same problems as a Fuzz Face, let's say, but wahs in general, have less control and sound wilder and less vocal with a distortion pedal.

That would be great mate!

Would it help if I put the fuzz after the wah so the signal is distorted after rather than the fuzz's signal being manipulated by the wah? (Sorry, i'm a newbie at this stuff, my first two pedals. )
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by '93
but the TS asked whether his big muff (a fuzz pedal) would sound good with wah and i simply gave him an example of wah and fuzz sounding good together

The Big Muff is actually a distortion pedal that merely sounds fuzzy. It gets its distortion from clipping diodes, like many popular overdrive and distortion circuits.

Considering it's so different than a Fuzz Face like Hendrix used, your example doesn't really work well here...

Quote by N_J_B_B
That would be great mate!

Would it help if I put the fuzz after the wah so the signal is distorted after rather than the fuzz's signal being manipulated by the wah? (Sorry, i'm a newbie at this stuff, my first two pedals. )

Actually, if there are problems, putting the fuzz before the wah would be ideal. It's the reverse that usually causes issues.
Quote by forsaknazrael
The Big Muff is actually a distortion pedal that merely sounds fuzzy. It gets its distortion from clipping diodes, like many popular overdrive and distortion circuits.

Considering it's so different than a Fuzz Face like Hendrix used, your example doesn't really work well here...

while the big muff is different to the fuzz face it was based off of hendrix's fuzz and should still sound similar enough to hendrix's fuzz (especially since henrix used more fuzzes than just the fuzz face and im not sure but iirc his was silicon based not germanium meaning it would have more attack and would sound more like the big muff than a regular FF)

what im trying to say is that basically people have used fuuz and wah and its a common

also iirc john frusciante uses a big muff (besides his DS-2) with wah.
Quote by N_J_B_B
Hi guys I have two questions.

I'm about to order a Vox Big Bad Wah from America, and I was wondering if it would work in Australia with my 9v battery? I don't want to buy it and it doesn't work over here...

Secondly:

Are Big Muffs a wah friendly fuzz? If not could you suggest one?

Thanks!

If you use batteries you should be fine as others have mentioned you want a Austrailian adapter. When buying an adapter keep in mind the diameter of the female jack on the pedal itself and what the polarity of the pin is. When buying a domestic adapter be sure the current and voltage match up. Hope that helps
Quote by '93
while the big muff is different to the fuzz face it was based off of hendrix's fuzz and should still sound similar enough to hendrix's fuzz (especially since henrix used more fuzzes than just the fuzz face and im not sure but iirc his was silicon based not germanium meaning it would have more attack and would sound more like the big muff than a regular FF)

what im trying to say is that basically people have used fuuz and wah and its a common

also iirc john frusciante uses a big muff (besides his DS-2) with wah.

While yes, the sound they were going for was Hendrix's fuzz tone, the circuit itself is what matters in this situation. Wah and fuzz pedals interacting has everything to do with the impedances of the circuits, not the individual sounds. And John Frusciante's wah isn't your typical CryBaby circuit.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by custompedals
If you use batteries you should be fine as others have mentioned you want a Austrailian adapter. When buying an adapter keep in mind the diameter of the female jack on the pedal itself and what the polarity of the pin is. When buying a domestic adapter be sure the current and voltage match up. Hope that helps

Will I explode if I accidently put the wrong polarity into the pedal?
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stay classy, pit.
the big bad wah has a boost function control which will boost your gain, i strongly reccommend putting fuzz and dist or OD after the big bad wah, you will damage the pedal if the polarity of your mains adapter power supply has the wrong polarity.

my review of the big bad wah can be found here

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_effects/vox/big_bad_wah/index.html

or if you want to hear it my youtube review of all the satch pedals except the ice9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ena-jdB-bGA
Quote by '93
while the big muff is different to the fuzz face it was based off of hendrix's fuzz

not really, that's a sales pitch. there's no evidence he used one either.
Quote by '93
(especially since henrix used more fuzzes than just the fuzz face and im not sure but iirc his was silicon based not germanium meaning it would have more attack and would sound more like the big muff than a regular FF)

not really. there's more to a circuit than being silicon or germanium. a silicon fuzz face is still very different from a Muff. Voltage feedback circuit versus diode clipping....
And Hendrix is said to have used a germanium for the first half of his career, then a silicon from Axis: Bold as Love and beyond.

Quote by '93
no one. is arguing. that people. don't do that.

Quote by N_J_B_B
Will I explode if I accidently put the wrong polarity into the pedal?

Well, you wouldn't explode.
I see wahs with reverse polarity protection circuits, but I still see people breaking them that way. Not sure what's up.
So how do you find the wah now after owning it for a while?

EDIT: Good to know I wont explode. Will it have a clear definition of what polarity it is on the pedal or in the manual etc? I'll be ordering it on Wednesday after pay day! YAY!
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stay classy, pit.
Last edited by N_J_B_B at Aug 14, 2010,
Cool
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by forsaknazrael
not really, that's a sales pitch. there's no evidence he used one either.

not really. there's more to a circuit than being silicon or germanium. a silicon fuzz face is still very different from a Muff. Voltage feedback circuit versus diode clipping....
And Hendrix is said to have used a germanium for the first half of his career, then a silicon from Axis: Bold as Love and beyond.

no one. is arguing. that people. don't do that.

Well, you wouldn't explode.
I see wahs with reverse polarity protection circuits, but I still see people breaking them that way. Not sure what's up.

while he didnt use a big muff to record with he certainly used it before he died. the maker of electro harmonix was his friend and iirc he had given him one or at least a prototype

i know that the big muff and the FF are not similar but they're not so different that they will make a difference in how a wah pedal works with them

while they are different in the end it is not the fuzz which is wah friendly (it can be but) rather whether the wah is fuzz friendly

i was simple giving an example of people who used fuzzes with wah to show to the TS that fuzz sounds good with wah. i never said anyone said otherwise
Quote by '93
while he didnt use a big muff to record with he certainly used it before he died. the maker of electro harmonix was his friend and iirc he had given him one or at least a prototype

there is no evidence of this. As far as I'm concerned, it's a sales pitch.

Quote by '93
i know that the big muff and the FF are not similar but they're not so different that they will make a difference in how a wah pedal works with them

Yes, they are VERY different. Nothing about their circuit topology, clipping characteristics, gain stages....none of it is the same.
And the difference in circuits is EXACTLY why a fuzz face interacts badly with a wah.

Quote by '93
while they are different in the end it is not the fuzz which is wah friendly (it can be but) rather whether the wah is fuzz friendly

i was simple giving an example of people who used fuzzes with wah to show to the TS that fuzz sounds good with wah. i never said anyone said otherwise
No, it's more like the fuzz is not wah friendly.
The low input impedance of the fuzz is the main problem here. While a wah's output is sensitive to being loaded down, it is only a problem with a pedal with low input impedance. So, the fault is because of the fuzz.

And for the last freaking time....
No one asked for examples where people used fuzz with wah.

So, please, in the future, don't spread bad information.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Aug 14, 2010,
Quote by N_J_B_B
So how do you find the wah now after owning it for a while?

EDIT: Good to know I wont explode. Will it have a clear definition of what polarity it is on the pedal or in the manual etc? I'll be ordering it on Wednesday after pay day! YAY!

i think you are directing that question at me

i think it`s a awesome pedal, it`s not restricted to satch tones, there has been some peeps that have said they`ve had some issues with crackly pots etc, but you`ll find those sort of issues with any pedal.

i just love how vocal the wah is.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
i think you are directing that question at me

i think it`s a awesome pedal, it`s not restricted to satch tones, there has been some peeps that have said they`ve had some issues with crackly pots etc, but you`ll find those sort of issues with any pedal.

i just love how vocal the wah is.

Excellent, that's exactly what I wanted!

Wednesday can't come soon enough!
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by forsaknazrael
there is no evidence of this. As far as I'm concerned, it's a sales pitch.

Yes, they are VERY different. Nothing about their circuit topology, clipping characteristics, gain stages....none of it is the same.
And the difference in circuits is EXACTLY why a fuzz face interacts badly with a wah.

No, it's more like the fuzz is not wah friendly.
The low input impedance of the fuzz is the main problem here. While a wah's output is sensitive to being loaded down, it is only a problem with a pedal with low input impedance. So, the fault is because of the fuzz.

And for the last freaking time....
No one asked for examples where people used fuzz with wah.

So, please, in the future, don't spread bad information.

as far as wikipedia is concerned and as much as you may bash me for saying it) it says that hendrix had one in the electric lady studio and that mike matthews (creator of it) was his friend so it was highly likely that hendrix did use one

i know no one asked for information about who uses fuzz and wah but i thought i might help a bit by showing that fuzzes can easily sound good with wah

sorry if i may have irritated you for having good intentions
Last edited by '93 at Aug 14, 2010,
legend has it that he got his hands on a muff and was set to use it on a new album before he died but nothing is confirmed.

the muff circuit and the ff circuit are very different which is why they react differently with wahs. your intentions are good but you should talk about stuff you have experience with.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by '93
as far as wikipedia is concerned and as much as you may bash me for saying it) it says that hendrix had one in the electric lady studio and that mike matthews (creator of it) was his friend so it was highly likely that hendrix did use one

No, it's highly likely that it's just on Wikipedia. Wikipedia isn't evidence.

I've read several Mike Matthews interviews, he doesn't even have his years straight. He says Hendrix used it, but the muff came out in '71? wat.
Then he says the muff came out in '69? okay....

There's nothing concrete on it, period.
Quote by forsaknazrael
No, it's highly likely that it's just on Wikipedia. Wikipedia isn't evidence.

I've read several Mike Matthews interviews, he doesn't even have his years straight. He says Hendrix used it, but the muff came out in '71? wat.
Then he says the muff came out in '69? okay....

There's nothing concrete on it, period.

released to the public in '71
built in 69

tbh i trust wiki over an internet forum user
Quote by '93
released to the public in '71
built in 69

tbh i trust wiki over an internet forum user

Maybe Hendrix did use it.

once.

in the studio.

because mike was his friend.

that doesn't equate the Big Muff to being one of Hendrix's main fuzzes. He probably just tried it to make Mike feel good about his new pedal.

and Wikipedia is not a reliable source of information. If that were true, John Mayer is a well known pedophile.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, I certainly trust Wiki over you. Doesn't mean it's evidence.

There is NO CONCRETE EVIDENCE THAT HENDRIX EVER USED ONE. Period.

Actually in the movie Fuzz: The Sound That Changed The World Mike Matthews said that they had just released the pedal in their New York shop in 1969 and he was going to give one to Jimi but when he went to the studio he already had one. Of course you want to take this with a grain of salt because, as much I respect Matthews for all the crazy pedals he makes, everyone would love to sell more pedals by telling a story about Hendrix.

Also, in the same movie (same scene too IIRC) he said that they were trying to develop a clean sustain pedal that could emulate the crazy sustain that Hendrix was known for at the time. Mike claimed to hooked it up to another prototype someone else was working for an overdrive/distortion/boost thing and it made a thick distortion with singing sustain. That then became the basis for the Big Muff Pi.

I'm 100% sure I'm getting the facts from the movie right, so I'm going to try and pull it up real fast. But that's the basic gist of the two stories.

EDIT: Watched his interview in the movie real quickly.

The I said about the making of the Big Muff he wasn't talking about the Big Muff, it was actually how they made the LPB-1. He said that they were working on trying to make a distortion free sutainer, but one of the prototypes had been left without a gain stage to boost the volume, so they made a boost to put in front of it for testing and that boost became the LPB-1.

The story about Hendrix I was pretty much spot on for. He said he had released his first batch of Big Muffs to a music store in New York, and when Mike went to one of Jimi's recording sessions to show him the new pedal he already had one in the studio.
Last edited by Kcintlob at Aug 15, 2010,
Mike Matthews telling a story isn't evidence in my book.

For the record, I've read an interview where his buddy tells him that he sold one to Hendrix. Conflicting stories?
"When I got the prototype from Bob, I loved the long sustain. This was done by cascading the circuit into additional sections, each one clipped by twin diodes. However, when you clip, the tone can be a bit raspy...so I spent a couple of days changing capacitors to roll off distortion in the highs, and eventually found that the best long sustaining tone that was a "sweet violin like sound" was done by having three capacitors in different parts of the circuit rolling off the rasp. We plunged into production (in 1969) and I brought the very first units up to Henry, the boss at Manny’s Music Store on 48th Street, NYC. About a week later, I stopped by at Manny’s to buy some cables, and Henry yelled out to me 'Hey Mike. I sold one of those new Big Muff’s to Jimi Hendrix'."
-Mike Matthews in 2007

there are tons of interviews where he says it, I just don't believe it. I've never heard it live, I have several late Hendrix bootlegs.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Mike Matthews telling a story isn't evidence in my book.

For the record, I've read an interview where his buddy tells him that he sold one to Hendrix. Conflicting stories?

there are tons of interviews where he says it, I just don't believe it. I've never heard it live, I have several late Hendrix bootlegs.

That's why I said...

Quote by Kcintlob
Of course you want to take this with a grain of salt because, as much I respect Matthews for all the crazy pedals he makes, everyone would love to sell more pedals by telling a story about Hendrix.

Here's verbatim of the shot in the movie...

Quote by Mike Matthews

The first Big Muffs were sold to Manny's Music Store, Henry, and he told me he sold one to Hendrix. And Hendrix by the way was a buddy of mine back when he was Jimi James, I was a promoter then, but that's a separate story.

So he used to invite me to all of his recording sessions in New York. So anyway, I wanted to show him some new product I was working on. And I went down there and then in the studio on the floor was one of those original Big Muffs that he bought at Manny's Music. So it must've been late '69, early '70 I came out with it.

I just listened real fast the first time, but when I thought he said he was taking a Big Muff to the studio to show him he was really just taking some other pedals he had made. I think Hendrix may have tried one and used one, but he probably never recorded with it.

But we should probably stop talking about Hendrix and help with guy with his wah problems.
Last edited by Kcintlob at Aug 15, 2010,