http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQIochH5qWc

How did he do that? Am I going to have to reshape my nail? I play classical guitar finger picking so its already shaped a certain way.

Also is it realistic to play very fast riffs with I-M
Quote by Kyose
You sir are my God.

That game had the best synthesis system ever.

Quote by firebird103
I'm pretty sure you just won the thread. I can confirm everything you just said as well being a heavily qualified geek myself....

Congrats sir
He just has a long i nail. If you want to play fast scales without a pick, do it with normal classical guitar technique, you get a better tone out of them anyway. It's quite troublesome to keep a long nail like that strong enough to do that unless you use fakes.
There are a couple of different techniques that can be used. French guitarist Marcel Dadi used to use his thumbnail in exactly the same manner as a pick for single-note lines, supporting it with the index finger and doing up-and-downstrokes.
Another method is to use the thumbnail for downstrokes and the index fingernail for upstrokes.
If your used to flatpicking technique, you can just sort of "weld" the two together. If you have the finger dexterity, you can use them separately in a sort of very fast fingerpicking manner....
I've played around with these techniques and have better luck with a pick.
^Picks are dumb.(don't take this personally guitarists)

I have a pretty fast I-M but its not fast enough compared to some riffs i hear and classical music as been wearing me out. But how long would it take to learn how to alternate pick with your finger? If it takes to long then its pointless but if its easy then I might as well.
Quote by Kyose
You sir are my God.

That game had the best synthesis system ever.

Quote by firebird103
I'm pretty sure you just won the thread. I can confirm everything you just said as well being a heavily qualified geek myself....

Congrats sir
Just do lots of studies and when you practice your scales, do some burst practice (4 notes quavers, 4 notes semi quavers and modify to suit your ability). Burst practice does wonders for speed if you need to gain speed quickly, just extend the burst for longer and longer as you practice.

I-M scales should last you around 160BPM in semi quavers, if you want blazingly fast scales, you either need to have the natural capability to extend your body to that speed or you can learn to play scales with a-m-i. With a-m-i scale runs, you want to make sure you can accent on any finger as required since the natural tendency is to make them sound like triplets.