hey i'm posting this for a friend so here goes: "i'm stuck on looking for a good tube amp to buy for a college dorm/gigging.....I'm looking for good, hard rock to metal tone, but has the versatility to have good cleans too. I know there is a big wattage difference between the amps, but that's not an issue....my main issue is the best tone possible out of those amps until my egnator tourmaster 4100 is fixed, or if I love this combo enough i'll continue using it. I might be able to push it up to $600, but $650 max to spend if you have any other recommendations. Thanks for help."
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
I'd say go with the Bugera V55 but the head and cab (totals around $550 for head + 2x12). It has awesome cleans and some guy named dingle1 from Youtube found a great metal tone out of it, so that would be my recommendation.
Ill get flamed, but try Jet City. The 20 H+C is very gigable, great for Hard Rock and Classic, gotta boost it for metal however.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by NosralTserrof
Ill get flamed, but try Jet City. The 20 H+C is very gigable, great for Hard Rock and Classic, gotta boost it for metal however.

Looks at post.

Looks at Sig.

Looks at post again.

But seriously, this is definitely a valid recommendation. Theres a huge difference in features between the V55 and HT-5, and theres more than a few folks here who are really happy about the tone. I would lean towards the V55 due to the effects loop and other features, but it's definitely worth thinking about.
Quote by NosralTserrof

Why would you get flamed? The JCA20 is UG's bandwagon amp ATM.

I'd recommend the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. Has a headphone jack and more than enough volume for gigging/band practice, a rare combination in a tube amp.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
The V55 isn't really a metal amp and the HT-5 isn't that great. I like the suggestion of the Vypyr Tube 60. You could also look at the Bugera high-gainers (especially the 333XL if you want full t00bz without lettuce.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Forget about Vypyr, another shit modeling amp which will in long run hinder your playing., ht-5 is too small for gigging, although it's the best sounding amp (for me) from all of the above.
I think Jet City is the best advice if you don't care about effects loop (ie no modulation effects and reverb live, ever).

I can't comment about Bugera, I don't buy into cheap imitations. you will get laughed at if you bring these on stage (if you don't cover them with some rug or something)
Quote by NosralTserrof

I only flamed you because you where going about threads just saying "Try Jet City"
In this situation the amp fits.

So yeah i'll echo that sentiment.

The blackstars dont get much love around here.

And oh boy bugera bashing

inb4themilitia
Quote by mdeeRocks
Forget about Vypyr, another shit modeling amp which will in long run hinder your playing., ht-5 is too small for gigging, although it's the best sounding amp (for me) from all of the above.
The Vypyr sounds fine, better than the HT-5. Feature wise, it's the also best option.
I think Jet City is the best advice if you don't care about effects loop (ie no modulation effects and reverb live, ever).
Feature wise, the worst. No FX loop like you said and single channel.
I can't comment about Bugera, I don't buy into cheap imitations. you will get laughed at if you bring these on stage (if you don't cover them with some rug or something)
Shows how much you know... The V55 is not an imitation.
I don't know of anyone who has been laughed off stage with a Bugera either. I assure you, 99% of your audience doesn't give a crap what gear you use as long as it sounds good.
Quote by coolstoryangus
inb4themilitia

We were already here.

We're watching you angus...
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Last edited by Kanthras at Aug 14, 2010,
Well, to give the credit to Behringer amps (also known as Buggers), they do make some pub and high school gigs more bearable, would rather listen to these than some horrible SS or modeling amp. Behringer copying technology is quite good on some of these.
Quote by mdeeRocks

If you read the OP, he has a Tourmaster which is his main amp. He just needs something to tide him over in the interim. I would assume that, owning a relatively high end amp, he would be a fairly proficient player, therefore there is nothing for the Vypyr to hinder. How does a modeler hinder one's playing, anyway? A shit amp is a shit amp regardless of the technology behind it, and if the OP doesn't like it, great, he can pick another amp.

It's also one of few high gain tube amps with a headphone jack, which is pretty ideal for the OP's needs. Have you ever played a Vypyr Tube? They're very different-sounding compared to the SS versions, especially when you give them some juice.

The V55 is an original Bugera design, as well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Aug 14, 2010,
Quote by mdeeRocks

Simple solution, put your band logo over the amp logo
Jackson DXMG 2002
Jackson JS30RR 2006
Rockteck 30Watt Combo
Marshall MC212
Dunlop Crybaby-GCB95
Boss Metalcore ML2

Quote by Skagasm
just think......bc rich+nice ring=happy girl

no ring+gibson es-335= no bitch and an awesome guitar.
Quote by coolstoryangus
I only flamed you because you where going about threads just saying "Try Jet City"
In this situation the amp fits.

So yeah i'll echo that sentiment.

The blackstars dont get much love around here.

And oh boy bugera bashing

inb4themilitia

OK buddy.

Anyway.....
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by mdeeRocks

LOL - I actually sold my HT-5 for a Vypyr Tube, it sounds considerably better than the ht-5, and almost all the tube amps I played in its price range.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm