i was wondering if anyone could help me find a sound similar to Alex Lifeson's tone on the song Bastille Day from Caress of Steel on a Marshall Plexi. its such an awesome song and i like the overdrive tone he has on that song
Assuming you have a model 1987X Marshal 50-watt Plexi and a Marshall 4x12 cabinet with Vintage 30s, try these:

Bass: 5
Mid: 6
Treble: 5
Presence: 5 to 7
Volume: Seriously cranked (You can jumper the inputs to get more crunch)

Alex has remarked in a number of interviews that the 50-watt Marshall he used back in those days had a particularly great tone, and he has yet to find another one that compares to it. The song was played (on the studio track) on his ES-335.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Assuming you have a model 1987X Marshal 50-watt Plexi and a Marshall 4x12 cabinet with Vintage 30s, try these:

Alex has remarked in a number of interviews that the 50-watt Marshall he used back in those days had a particularly great tone, and he has yet to find another one that compares to it. The song was played (on the studio track) on his ES-335.

thanks, you've been of great help to me. what channels should i jump?
Quote by FatalGear41

and, by the way, i have a Marshall 1959HW. close enough, wouldn't you think?
If you're playing through a Marshall 100-watt SLP, your neighbors must love you. Many moons ago, my Hiwatt Custom 100 got me on a first-name basis with a number of the local police officers.

You definitely have a fine amp for Lifeson's tone from that era. Plug your guitar into the upper input I (top left), then run a patch cord from lower input I (bottom left) into the top input II (upper right). Then you can adjust both volume controls to give you more crunch and more volume. This was pretty standard practice back in the 1970s before Marshall made a Master Volume amp.

You'll nail it.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
thank you. and one the loudness issue, i've got a Hot Plate. although, i would love to run it as loud as possible when my parents are gone.
Quote by FatalGear41
If you're playing through a Marshall 100-watt SLP, your neighbors must love you. Many moons ago, my Hiwatt Custom 100 got me on a first-name basis with a number of the local police officers.

You definitely have a fine amp for Lifeson's tone from that era. Plug your guitar into the upper input I (top left), then run a patch cord from lower input I (bottom left) into the top input II (upper right). Then you can adjust both volume controls to give you more crunch and more volume. This was pretty standard practice back in the 1970s before Marshall made a Master Volume amp.

You'll nail it.

I approve of this man for actually helping TS rather than being a dickass and redirecting him to the Settings thread.

Although, my approval doesn't mean shit
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.