After listening to these songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDo9daklPJQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDo9daklPJQ

I want to try and get this tone. It's not on the ultimate settings thread. I know it's more of a toned down classica rock.. so maybe high mids and highs, low lows.

I'm going ot try and emulate this on my VT100, but i find it hard to get a good classic rock sound.. cause i usually don't use that sound.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
the only way youll get that is if you get a vintage modern
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Most of Paul's tone is in his fingers, he also angles his pick quite agressively to get a choppy tone.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
yes, like a cello.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
i'll just figure it out for myself then
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by julzius
i'll just figure it out for myself then

Kudos for realizing that anything productive on guitar comes from figuring stuff out yourself.
all posts above are serious. well, maybe not my comment about vintage modern literally. that is pauls amp and it would help, but even if you had it on the same settings as him, youd still need his movements to get his tone. and the thing about the cello, was about how he holds his pick, look up instructional about alternate picking on youtube.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by Linqua5150
all posts above are serious. well, maybe not my comment about vintage modern literally. that is pauls amp and it would help, but even if you had it on the same settings as him, youd still need his movements to get his tone. and the thing about the cello, was about how he holds his pick, look up instructional about alternate picking on youtube.

Your cello comparison makes so much sense to me. For as long as I can remember I naturally angle my pick for faster and steadier movements.

Whoop Whoop.
Quote by Funk Monk
Your cello comparison makes so much sense to me. For as long as I can remember I naturally angle my pick for faster and steadier movements.

Whoop Whoop.

yup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpJNUGHxC3M
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
First step, make a deal with the devil.

Second, screw the devils wife

Third, father the devils son

4th, sell the devils son (the antichrist)

5th, epic toanz like Paul Gilbert.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Paul usually runs his amps with a medium crunch, then uses pedals to get more dirt. He's used a Keeley TS9DX, Xotic AC Booster, HBE Baho Mos, and various others in the past, but yeah, a good British voiced amp will get you pretty much there. Like has been said, he has a pretty unique picking technique too.
Quote by stykerwolf
cellos have the slowest attack a string instrument can have ...

Sounding like a cello =/= being a cello.
Angling the pick like Paul does gives it a celloish sound.
Quote by littlephil
Sounding like a cello =/= being a cello.
Angling the pick like Paul does gives it a celloish sound.

not really familiar with that term, nor will i be because that sounds odd

anyways, like most people said, it's in the fingers, the guitar, and a very tight overdriven sound.
Paul only ever likened his pick angle to the sound of a cello, he wasn't making any specific statements like a lot of people are making out here!
In fact I think that small statement he made is really being over thought!

But yeah, a lot of the time for people's tone you do really have to look into their technique, you see people on youtube or whatever playing Paul Gilbert covers with bang on gear, but it's only those who you can tell have studied the **** out of him that sound right.

So just study him, as well as maybe getting similar gear (but also get gear that suits you).
Not very much gain and lots of presense will get you in the ballpark, I've been experimenting with my gear trying to get close recently. If you want to be moer precise about his tone then I suggest having a superstrat with a vintage voiced medium gain humbucker (he has DiMarzio PAF Pro's in his PGMs I think) and a bright british voiced amp and a strong pick attack
don't worry guys i figured it out... for all those VT users out there...

My VT100 settings are:
Express train
Gain 55%
treble: 100%
Mids: 100%
Bass: 0%

Still gotta test it at a loud volume to see if these settings keep loud. kinda midnight right now haha.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp