Had originally wanted to get a Epiphone Les paul standard but when I tried it out at the store, the tone wasn't anything special. Are there other guitars that would perform better at its price? Genre I'm looking to play is rock and those kind of music where the guitar acts in place of the vocals. Not sure what that's called.

And is the neck of the les paul narrower compared to strat type guitars? It was difficult to get the fingerings correct for the song I was trying out compared to my old guitar but maybe that's just because the strings were 10s
1) What amp were you playing it through?

2) Performance is subjective, as every person looks for a different kind of feel in a guitar.

3) Related to #3, Les Paul type guitars have 24.75" scales, while the "standard" scale is 25.5". If your guitar was a 25.5", then it will be really hard to play correctly on a shorter scale. (At least for me it is, if not impossible, though it seems that a lot of people have no trouble adapting. I don't understand that.)
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Get an Ibanez RG model, pretty good price and i love mine. it has a nice thin neck so you can really get your hands around it. I recomend one of the fixed bridge ones. Even the stock pickups sound pretty sweet
Not sure what amp it was but it wasn't one of the big names like Marshall, Roland, Vox etc. It was pretty long and had all kind of effects built into it.

I'll have to go to another store to try out the ESP and PRS stuff. The one I was at only had ibanez, swing, rally, fender and epiphone
Epiphone Sheraton II! Can't beat it.
"It'd take a hell of a lot of Pokemon to feed a million starving children."
Quote by sealtain
Not sure what amp it was but it wasn't one of the big names like Marshall, Roland, Vox etc. It was pretty long and had all kind of effects built into it.

I'll have to go to another store to try out the ESP and PRS stuff. The one I was at only had ibanez, swing, rally, fender and epiphone

Different people would look into different sounds and feels on their guitar. Try more (on the same amp) and you may find what you want. It seems you are familiar with the standard scale, but you won't find it hard to adapt to a shorter (or longer) scale after few weeks of playing.

Try ESP LTDs. Not pricey but worthy. An Epiphone Flying V may do the job too. Ibanez guitars also have a pretty good feel when playing those instrumental rock music (like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai,...)

Good luck.
Gear:
Spear SHL-1 Evil Monkey
Digitech RP350
Vietnamese Made - Duy Ngọc Acoustic Guitar

Soon my gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Have you thought about Dean guitars?I recently traded for a Dean EVO and I love the tone.Mine has twin hums that have coil taps.Similar sound to a strat when coils are split.
Maybe a Epiphone SG Prophesy GX. I've only played one for a short time at a local store, I liked it. I regularly talk to a guy on here that has one for sale and likes it. But he has GAS for something diffrent. New they are around $650 usd.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SG-Prophecy-Custom-GX-Electric-Guitar-with-Dirty-Fingers-Pickups-?sku=515619

or maybe an ESP LTD Viper-300FM
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Viper300FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=584499#used