So I was looking for a smaller tube combo on a budget, and I ended up buying a Vox AC4TV 1x10 combo. First of all, AMAZING amp, my favorite sounding amp that I've owned so far. My question is now, should I get a cab for it? A few of the reviews I read said (something to the effect of) "I got a 112 cab for it, and it's loud enough to keep up with a drummer". Would getting a cab make it any louder or more powerful? I know using the speaker output turns off the speaker in the Vox, but I don't know what/how much difference going thru a 12 inch speaker cabinet instead of the 10 inch speaker in the combo. Can anyone give me some guidance on this? Thanks in advance, as long as I've been playing I still feel like a blithering idiot when it comes to some things.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
idk much about the difference between 12 and 10 inch speakers in terms of volume and whatnot, but if i were you id want to look at 212 instead of 112 at least. seems pointless to get a whole other cab that only has a speaker thats two inches bigger than your current
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
I was thinking 112 because thats what all the reviewers I read about said they used with it. A guy locally is offering me a Valve Junior 112 cab for cheap too, heh.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Will a cab give me any kind of volume boost though?
Well did you play the 6" or 8" version of that amp next to your 10"? Because there is a HUGE volume difference because the bigger the speaker is the more its cranking out at any given level. I have that amp and played it through a 212 and WOW....very, very loud. There was no drummer but it would be damn close. If you're concerned about keeping up with a drummer I question why you bought a 4 watt amp. I jam with a couple buddies (no drummer) and live in a dorm room so my AC4TV and the matching 112 is plenty. The 212 may be your short term answer though.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
cabs wont give you a "volume boost". a 412 slant cab will be pushing more air, and since there is a slant, it'll fill the room more. some of the sound will be going upward toward your ears more directly, so it appears as if its louder.

my suggestion is if you want to be heard using that amp, get a PA system and a mic
Last edited by User_Name336 at Aug 14, 2010,
Its a practive amp for a reason buddy. Even at 4w output mode, its already gonna be pretty saturated by the time you get loud enough to be heard over a bass player. You could try it but itll be going full tilt by the time its gets anywhere near the volume of a drummer. It might happen but you'll have no clean sound even with weak pickups.
Quote by User_Name336
cabs wont give you a "volume boost". a 412 slant cab will be pushing more air, and since there is a slant, it'll fill the room more. some of the sound will be going upward toward your ears more directly, so it appears as if its louder.

my suggestion is if you want to be heard using that amp, get a PA system and a mic

Then explain to me how the Fender Champ 600 (6" speaker and 5 watts) sounds like a whisper next to the Vox AC4TV (10" speaker and only 4 watts)...
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by BrokenDstring
Then explain to me how the Fender Champ 600 (6" speaker and 5 watts) sounds like a whisper next to the Vox AC4TV (10" speaker and only 4 watts)...

"whisper"?
Quote by BrokenDstring
Well did you play the 6" or 8" version of that amp next to your 10"? Because there is a HUGE volume difference because the bigger the speaker is the more its cranking out at any given level. I have that amp and played it through a 212 and WOW....very, very loud. There was no drummer but it would be damn close. If you're concerned about keeping up with a drummer I question why you bought a 4 watt amp. I jam with a couple buddies (no drummer) and live in a dorm room so my AC4TV and the matching 112 is plenty. The 212 may be your short term answer though.

"HUGE"?

a bigger speaker will add more bottom end, no arguments there. That's why it sounds "bigger" to you.

But it's not going to be adding that much more volume. It's going to be pushing more air, sure.
have you actually compared the two? i highly doubt it, please play the two side by side like i just did about...5 minutes ago and then tell me where all that volume difference is coming from. Is it the magical pixie fairies?

Think of it this way: If you have a good size stereo and you plug headphones in to it you probably won't be able to hear this stereo across the room (headphones aren't in your ear of course), but then you plug 2, 10" speakers in to this stereo and don't make a change to any settings at all....i guess it will just push more air and won't be much louder because obviously speaker size makes no difference.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Quote by BrokenDstring
have you actually compared the two? i highly doubt it, please play the two side by side like i just did about...5 minutes ago and then tell me where all that volume difference is coming from. Is it the magical pixie fairies?

More bass, more present in the vix. Seems louder.

Quote by BrokenDstring
Think of it this way: If you have a good size stereo and you plug headphones in to it you probably won't be able to hear this stereo across the room (headphones aren't in your ear of course), but then you plug 2, 10" speakers in to this stereo and don't make a change to any settings at all....i guess it will just push more air and won't be much louder because obviously speaker size makes no difference.

You're kidding me, right? Headphones are COMPLETELY different. Did you know that headphones have impedances around 30-60 ohms?
That such high impedance are much harder for an amplifier to drive?

TERRIBLE freaking example...
Plus the headphone output is usually attenuated....

Double speaker surface area, or double power, you'll get a 3dB increase.
Have you tried the Champion through the same speaker as the Vox? They'll put out the same volume, if you put them through the same speaker.
Since this is about extension cabs, I'd say that's pretty relevant.
did you ever notice that speaker systems have a wattage rating to them, and headphones (generally) dont state them because they're generally too low of a number to actually state and nobody really cares. in that case, its not only wattage that comes into play, but how much air its pushing.

its not actually that the speakers are giving a volume boost. its that the speakers are pushing more air and APPEARING to be louder. The same power is coming out of both, just one has huge speakers, so more air is being pushed. the same power is coming out through both, just one can push more air. i guess if you look loosely at what sound is, you could argue that more volume is bring produced, but really, its not. volume has stayed the same.

EDIT: the guy above me nailed it. i wanted to mention that but got distracted by the terrible headphone example you put out. it all has to do with the individual speakers that are in the two amps, and how they're set to sound. go play any Mesa Boogie 50w amp with a 12 inch speaker, then a traynor 50w with a 12 inch speaker. noticeable volume difference there yet both same wattage and same speaker size
Last edited by User_Name336 at Aug 14, 2010,
i haven't tried the ac4. I think the cabinet of the combo is particleboard, though, so I'm guessing an external speaker cab with a decent stock speaker (not the vox one for the ac4, i think it's particleboard too) would probably help.

As for enough volume for a drummer, I dunno having not tried the amp but i'm inclined to agree with forsaknazrael. you get a bit more volume, but it's not a ton more.

EDIT: ^ speaker sensitivity will play the main part- you can have a 10" speaker which is louder than a 12", for example. but yeah, all things being equal i'm guessing the bigger speaker would probably sound "bigger".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 14, 2010,
Dude, get at least 35 watts if you want to hear yourself in a live situation. You might sound good in a headphone practice dealio but you can't bring it to the stage. I suggest you figure out what your band gear is. Get a Boogie! DV