For simplicity's sake, I'm learning the outro solo for Fade To Black. This is the part where I'm having trouble with:

|---------------10-8-7-8-7----|-7-------------------------|
|--------------------------10-|---10-8-10-8-7-8-7---7-----|
|-----------------------------|-------------------9---9-7-|
|-----------------------------|---------------------------|

Normally, by the time I've reached this part I'm already attempting to economy pick the bastard, but because of the speed at which the actual song is at, I lose control of my picking and I'm just going up and down with my pick. Sometimes this isn't a problem, but in this case it is.

I start with a down-pick at the very first note of the tab included, which leads to another down-pick at the 7. When I transition to the B string, I mute the E string (Somewhat accidentally) and up-pick through it to the 10.

The resulting harmonic is not cool.

Am I the only one having this kind of problem with economy picking? Can it be eliminated through sufficient practice?

Or should I just not play in the bridge pickup and turn down my treble?
It's something that just needs practice. I know exactly what you mean, because I used to have the same problem.

This is a bit off-subject, but, can you play the part in the outro solo where Kirk bends on the G at the 9th, hits the 7th on the e, the 10th on the B, the 7th on the B, and then repeats? I dunno if you know what I'm talking about, but, if you can play that, then you shouldn't be having problems with rather simple (no offense) economy picking...
My Gear
Schecter Omen-6 (with SD Blackouts)
Fender Strat
Guild DV-4 Traditional
Yamaha FG730S
Crate BV-60

Quote by diofan88
I'd rather be alone, yet one with the world, than close to someone but miles away inside.

Annabella Carmela
hmm.
I think I actually hammer on the last 8th to 7th.
Sounds just as cool.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Try slowing it down, grab a metronome (or find one on the net in Flash form) and play it slowly at half speed, do it a few times then play at normal. You'll find your playing will get smoother.
------
Guitars -
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Custom (Aged Ivory Bullseye)
Jackson DXMG Dinky

Amps etc. -
Line 6 Pod X3 Live w/ speaker system
Marshall MG15DFX Practice Amp
Quote by darius606
It's something that just needs practice. I know exactly what you mean, because I used to have the same problem.

This is a bit off-subject, but, can you play the part in the outro solo where Kirk bends on the G at the 9th, hits the 7th on the e, the 10th on the B, the 7th on the B, and then repeats? I dunno if you know what I'm talking about, but, if you can play that, then you shouldn't be having problems with rather simple (no offense) economy picking...

How did you get rid of the problem? The metronome method? Or just practice the hell out of the solo?

Also, I know which part you're talking about! I'm still working on that too. I can play it sometimes, but even then it's not very clean because I barre the last two strings.

Damn. I should really work on my technique.
practice the scale then practice alternate picking the scale then apply that to the phrse, then build up to tempo gradually.
Quote by triface
How did you get rid of the problem? The metronome method? Or just practice the hell out of the solo?

Also, I know which part you're talking about! I'm still working on that too. I can play it sometimes, but even then it's not very clean because I barre the last two strings.

Damn. I should really work on my technique.

I'm not entirely sure how I got rid of the problem. It was really only a problem when I first started playing, because I couldn't efficiently alternate pick. After I had finally gotten down alternate picking, I moved on to economy picking. It was difficult for me to economy at the speed your trying to economy pick at, but I also started sweep picking a little bit after I started economy picking. I think the sweeping helped me a lot. I don't really remember progressing from not being able to do it to just being able to do it. I could just, just do it, eventually. It was the same thing with almost all of the techniques I can efficiently use, except pinch harmonics and alternate picking. But, as for solving your problem, I would definitely go with the metronome method. That's one of the things that helped me get rid of it, now that I think of it. I think the sweeping that finally got it to the point where I could just do it.

Hoped that help, mate
My Gear
Schecter Omen-6 (with SD Blackouts)
Fender Strat
Guild DV-4 Traditional
Yamaha FG730S
Crate BV-60

Quote by diofan88
I'd rather be alone, yet one with the world, than close to someone but miles away inside.

Annabella Carmela
This is one of those situations you're gonna have to break down to component parts. It's kind of like saying "Hey, I'd like to learn that song." Then you learn part of it but skip the difficult parts. I had this problem when I took a VERY long time learning to play Soothsayer. I would play part of the song then skip the difficult parts. I asked myself, "Why in the hell do I want to learn this song if I'm never gonna play all of it?" You need to learn problem isolation. By that I mean playing over and over again only the parts you're having problems with. Forget the rest of the song for awhile and practice on the phrase/phrases giving you trouble. I don't care if it's only 3 or 4 notes with string skipping that's the problem area. Do it anyway. Do it slowly and methodically then increase to full tempo and add the rest of the song in. In my experience it's the only way to do it.

Ibanez SGT520VS Sage Series Acoustic
Yamaha FG720S-12 12 String Acoustic
Schecter C-1 Classic
Crate Flexwave FW65 Combo Amp
^^ YES exactly. That's excellent that you isolated a very specific problem area. Pat yourself on the back for that. So now question is what are you gonna do about it?

Your weak point is "inside" alternate picking in this case. I could just say to do some inside picking exercises, but here you have a more precise agenda which is good - that gives you a measurable goal -> makes the practice more rewarding.

You might start by practicing this (or a similar variation). Nice and easy.

v  ^  v  ^  
E-|-7-----7-----|
B-|---10----10--|
G-|-------------|
D-|-------------|
A-|-------------|
E-|-------------|

No matter how long it takes, learn this motion perfectly, then re-introduce it in context by working on this pattern for a while.

v   ^  v  ^  v  ^  v  ^  
E-|--10--8--7--8--7-----7------| 
B-|------------------10----10--| 
G-|----------------------------| 
D-|----------------------------| 
A-|----------------------------|
E-|----------------------------|

Chip away at this, and you will eliminate the weak spot. The key (as usual) is to work slowly. That's where great technique is born. Eventually you'll speed things back up and forge ahead.

You might be thinking man that is too much work for such a small detail... don't look at it that way. Think long-term. Sometimes we have to put aside what we want immediately, in order to become great guitarists for a life-time.

So fix it properly, and years from now you won't even remember you once had trouble...... or don't, and it will continue to nag you down the road. (trust me) Hope that helped.
Quote by cringer
Your weak point is "inside" alternate picking in this case.

Hm actually, the way I'm playing it, I kind of sweep the 2 notes. Is that still considered inside picking?
Quote by triface
Hm actually, the way I'm playing it, I kind of sweep the 2 notes. Is that still considered inside picking?

In your first post, you were having trouble picking to the B string because it came after a down stroke on the E at fret 7. (Down on E followed by up on B is inside alternate picking, not sweeping)

If that's not the case, then I misunderstood your problem.
Quote by cringer
In your first post, you were having trouble picking to the B string because it came after a down stroke on the E at fret 7. (Down on E followed by up on B is inside alternate picking, not sweeping)

If that's not the case, then I misunderstood your problem.

Ah. You know what? I'm an idiot. My bad!

Thanks for the input.