Poll: Who has had issues with a VYPYR.
Poll Options
View poll results: Who has had issues with a VYPYR.
No Issues
16 64%
Issue with a fuse
0 0%
Issue with freezing
5 20%
Other issues
4 16%
Voters: 25.
Hi guys, I want to get a Vypyr Tube 60. I see lots of fuse and firmware issues out there on the boards.

What has been your experience with VYPYR in terms of reliability issues? I realize that the people having issues tend to be more vocal.

I've read the Vypyr thread but it's hard to get a handle on the reliability.

Thanks for your input.
I had a few freezes with my 75, nothing turning it off and on again didn't fix, after I updated the firmware it was fine.
Occasionally my Vypyr 75 does freeze in that the volume cuts out when switching between channels, but this is very rare and is fixed by turning it on and off again. I've never had any trouble whilst playing the amp so on stage, unless you're switching between channels a lot, this shouldn't be a problem. And as I say, it is very rare (happens once every month or so).

There are updates for the firmware, which I haven't downloaded yet, which have fixed quite a lot of the reported bugs.

But I can put up with that, because it's a brilliant sounding amp with lots of diversity and I only have the solid state version
Spin round carousel
When your horse isn't screwed in

I II III VI:1 VI:2
a year later and i still love it to bits.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
My problem with them is, they're way too noisy. If I touch the guitar, itlll sound like I played a full chord.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Solder points. DEFINATELY solder points. Check yours, you'll be shocked...
It's just a matter of time.
Quote by Flash Nightmare
Solder points. DEFINATELY solder points. Check yours, you'll be shocked...
It's just a matter of time.

The things are all wave soldered, that makes no sense.

But besides that, as a current Vypyr owner I have to say it did have its problems at first but after I updated the firmware (for all intents and purposes it's like flashing a motherboard's BIOS) it was fine.

Still isn't a fan of starting up when it's cold.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
My Vypyr Tube sounds absolutely fantastic. I only got mine recently but there have been no problems so far, just get an extended warranty to be sure though if you're worried.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
I bought a Vypyr 15 yesterday. It was supposed to be my dorm room practice amp. I got it home and messed with it a bit. It went back to the store today. Way too much digital noise, even on low gain settings. Some of the modes and stuff are just plain messed up: go to the green mode on the Recto, turn the pre-gain down to about a third and strum a chord, there's this horrid buzzing noise in the background. I tried every one in the store, two different 15s, a 30, and a 75, and all were the same.

Do not recommend.
Last edited by whiteraven119 at Aug 14, 2010,
Quote by oneblackened
The things are all wave soldered, that makes no sense.

But besides that, as a current Vypyr owner I have to say it did have its problems at first but after I updated the firmware (for all intents and purposes it's like flashing a motherboard's BIOS) it was fine.

Still isn't a fan of starting up when it's cold.

I meant the QUALITY of the solder, not the points themselves. My bad. Give it time, it will make sense.
Mine's volume has been cutting in and out lately. Like, for really long periods of time. Very annoying. Not that I ever use it though, haha.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X