So, the story goes, back in May, I got a new band together, comprised of myself, another guitarist, bassist and a drummer, typical kind of set-up, myself being a guitarist/vocalist in my previous band and the bassist doing the same in her previous band, we seemed to gel quite well, but the guitarist, didn;t quite make the grade, and lacked experience and he left

now a good friend of mine joined to replace him a month or so ago, he's been playing a couple of years longer than I have (myself 6, him 8), yet this is his first band, now myself, our drummer & bassist have been in numerous bands prior to this in the last several years, so we have a basic idea of how things go, sort of like, someone comes in with an idea, we work with it, if it works, run with it.

however, this new guitarist, doesn't know how the songwriting process works and sure, he can play guitar, but he's writing entire songs for all instruments (without vocals) in guitar pro, and expecting them to work straight off, what doesn't really help is the fact that his tastes are distinctly more metal than the other members, and I'll be honest I'm not particularly fond of the stuff he's writing.

Now, I appreciate the fact that he's doing this, putting in so much effort and whatnot into these 'ideas' but when we try to play them in practice, he complains I'm not following the overly lame guitar lines he wrote for me and that it doesn't sound heavy enough.

he's the oldest in the band, he's been playing the longest, but the least experienced in terms of playing in a band and with other people, how should I tell him that it just isn't the way this band works, without crushing him?

he's really enthusiastic about what he writes and doesn't seem to take it on board when we tell him that we need to change it, and when he does, he seems really offended by it

any advice appreciated
tell him how it is.
i know you dont wanna upset him but realistically it comes down to this: -he either needs to compromise and take a backseat in writing until he knows how the band works OR tell him why its not gonna work and kick him out.

hes got to accept that its a professional decision and hes either got to go along with it or leave.

whatever you say the term 'no hard feelings' will probably help out.
Quote by Jak-666
tell him how it is.
i know you dont wanna upset him but realistically it comes down to this: -he either needs to compromise and take a backseat in writing until he knows how the band works OR tell him why its not gonna work and kick him out.

hes got to accept that its a professional decision and hes either got to go along with it or leave.

whatever you say the term 'no hard feelings' will probably help out.

This is the only thing to do, unless you´re violent and have a shotgun.
Quote by Holy Katana
Your last job only paid you $7.00 AUD an hour? That's like $6.05 in the US. What the hell is the minimum wage over there?

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
Try and see if you can find a couple of songs of his that you do like, and try and keep those around. Tell him that in the future you'd like him to bring in less complete songs so that everyone has a chance to get their own input.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.