When I pick really fast my pick starts to move around in my hand, it's not falling it just moves around and makes it harder for me to pick, I just cant seem to hold it in at 90 degrees against the strings and it always gets loose.
Any tips on how to overcome this?
This is the one thing I hate about my playing.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
It seems like you can't get a decent grip. Do you sweat on your fingertips?

I would say grip it tighter, but that's not always desirable. Honestly I've never had any problem - I can pick as fast as I am physically able and never have any issue holding the pick steady.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
try to start using Dunlop Tortex picks, or Max-Grips.. They are designed to not slip in your hand. There's also the v-pick, but who wants to spend $4 on a pick?
http://www.myspace.com/takethekey

PRS Singlecut w/ Tremonti Treble/Bass
Taylor 614ce

Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
Mills Acoustics Afterburner 412B

"Mark Tremonti is what Willis was talking about..."
I do sweat in my fingertips I belive, Im not saying I cant pick fast I still can pick fast But I have to use more energy to pick so my hands start to hurt after a short time.
Ill look at the picks you suggested, are they small like Jazz III picks?
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
are you picking just one string or are you picking mulitiple strings like a chord out of curiousity?

I had this issue once before. I started using Dunlop picks that had a grip and they stayed in my hands alot better
Quote by GezzyDiversion
Sadokun: Eating cardboard never tasted this good!

Quote by Otis Lee Crenshaw
Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy Ray Cyrus is about as f****** country as a bag of f****** wet mice, alright?
Im picking one string, I have no problem with strumming chords real fast but picking fast And the way I hold my pick is the one thing annoying me.
Quote by tattyreagh

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
Im picking one string, I have no problem with strumming chords real fast but picking fast And the way I hold my pick is the one thing annoying me.

How do you hold it?

What I was thinking of doesnt matter i guess. I used to strum chords with thick picks and found out there were so think i had too much resistance so i moved to lighter picks when strumming chords. Whats your pick gauge at the moment anyway?
Quote by GezzyDiversion

Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy Ray Cyrus is about as f****** country as a bag of f****** wet mice, alright?
I try to hold it 90 degrees against the strings for less resistance but it keeps moving around and it makes the picking harder.
Quote by tattyreagh

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
I try to hold it 90 degrees against the strings for less resistance but it keeps moving around and it makes the picking harder.

Couldnt you hold the pick how you regularly hold it and uses a thinner pick so you have less resistance?
Quote by GezzyDiversion

You should try holding at about 45 degrees to the strings, with the pointy tip towards the headstock (or vice-versa, see what you like best). The side of the pick will 'roll' over the strings without much effort. Especially so if you have a thick plectrum.

EDIT: Thinner pick means it'll bend more. If your pick bends you have to put more effort into getting it from one side of a string to the other side. If you alternate pick very quickly, it'll get stuck every now and then because of this. So that's not a very good idea.
Last edited by Captain Panda at Aug 14, 2010,
I use Jazz III picks so it might be the problem?
Should I start using thicker picks?
Quote by tattyreagh

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
How thick are they? I use a 3mm dunlop big stubby. I used to have a small stubby, of 2mm, but the pick gnomes have claimed it.
Last edited by Captain Panda at Aug 14, 2010,
I dont know how many mm but the normal Jazz III Size which is pretty small.
Quote by tattyreagh

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
I have no clue how thick these are though. If you can find some very thick plectrums where you live give em a try.

I'd recommend the dunlop stubby range out of my own experience, they're the only thick ones stores sell out here.
Quote by Captain Panda
EDIT: Thinner pick means it'll bend more. If your pick bends you have to put more effort into getting it from one side of a string to the other side. If you alternate pick very quickly, it'll get stuck every now and then because of this. So that's not a very good idea.

Cant argue with that logic. Ive only had picks move/fall out of my hands when playing 4-6 string chords, never had it one single string strumming so I was just applying logic from chord strums here. Thank you for the logic =)
Quote by GezzyDiversion