Hello,

I'm pretty new to playing guitar and bought a new Ibanez Xiphos XP300FX. I noticed that when using the bridge pickup, when I hit the 1st string on the 4th fret and release my finger from the fret (slowly or quickly, doesn't matter), I get this terrible ringing sound. My 6th string starts to pickup a lot of noise and I have to palm mute all the strings after I play any notes on the 1st string near the 4th fret. It almost sounds like the note is out of phase, although my guitar is in tune.

Is this something that should normally happen? I noticed the problem goes away when I use the neck pickup. The problem also isn't as bad when I turn down the distortion on the bridge pickup, but I don't have this problem with my old beginner guitar.

I noticed that my bridge pickup has the magnetics off-center, could this be the issue? You can see how the neck pickup has the magnetics fairly centered in the picture.

Thanks for any help, I would hate to go back to Guitar Center and tell them I have a faulty guitar when the guitar is fine.
Some guitars have frequencies that are more resonant - this may be what's happening here... Your amp/any effects could have something to do with it, as well. I'm intrigued by the fact that a factory guitar would have an off-center pup in it, though.
Last edited by godisasniper at Aug 14, 2010,
I'm using a Vox Valvetronix amplifier, with the gain and volume set to the highest on the pre-amp. I haven't experienced this problem with my "crappy" BC Rich guitar on the same amplifier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rITMJN4G4rg

I recorded what it sounds like, you can hear the ringing after I release the note.
The second time I play the 1st string, 4th fret and release it is a good example of the "wavy-ness", weird sound that I hear after I release the string.
sounds like you're hitting other strings by accident. I dunno.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
sounds like you're hitting other strings by accident. I dunno.

Yeah it sounds like that from the video but I'm just playing the 1st string and releasing it.

I'll go to Guitar Center today and see if I can get it replaced...
You could try turning down the preamp distortion...
Me and my girlfriend were in a guitar store one day.

My GF- What's the difference between Gibson and Epiphone?

Me- (Explains)

GF- So Epiphone is like Gibson's slutty little sister?

Me- I love you.
Is it me or is there no word to describe the size of this picture ?

Well, you're the customer, go back to them to discuss the problem, if it's " faulty ", they'll take good care of you and fix your problem. If it's not, they'll have a good explanation for what you're considering to be a problem
there's nothing wrong with the guitar, you just need to roll back on the gain and volume knob on the guitar a bit.

I like to sit around 85% on the volume knob.

The reason your other guitar doesn't seem to have this problem is because simply the pickup isnt as hot. Which in the case of your new guitar, is a good thing.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Well, you're the customer, go back to them to discuss the problem, if it's " faulty ", they'll take good care of you and fix your problem. If it's not, they'll have a good explanation for what you're considering to be a problem

Hehe, yeah I would have gone to Guitar Center before I posted this thread but they aren't open yet, so I figured I would sign up for the forums and ask first.
Quote by farmosh203
Hehe, yeah I would have gone to Guitar Center before I posted this thread but they aren't open yet, so I figured I would sign up for the forums and ask first.

I see, well it doesn't hurt to ask around and learn some stuff before going to them Good luck
It sounds like "sympathetic" vibrations to me. The vibrations of one string are causing others to ring out, my bass did that really band until I put a piece of paper between each saddle, it still does it, just not as long or loud.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
i couldnt make anything out, do you have a larger picture?
it sounds like the springs in the trem are vibrating...

maybe cram some foam in there?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
it sounds like the springs in the trem are vibrating...

maybe cram some foam in there?

this may be it. my fender does this too, but i got it foamed.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
sorry, just happened to be looking at your actual amp settings as it panned across. Was that everything on practically full except bass? (im not sure how your amp works).
if so dial down distortion a little, roll back the treble and middle a little and add a fair bit more bass. Set is so that bass is a little higher than treble which in turn is slightly higher than the middle. This means your guitar wont sound so sharp, as it wont be amplifying the high pitched sounds so much.

edit: its definitely a resonance of the 4th fret harmonic ringing out. Does it still happen when muting the strings? If so then it may well be a spring or something, but that shouldn't really be picked up
Last edited by l3vity at Aug 14, 2010,
How close is your bridge pickup to the strings? If it is too close to the string maybe it is being pulled by the magnet and creating a weird vibration? May not be the case but I figured I would mention it. If the pickup seems pretty close to the strings, try lowering it and see if that helps any.