I searched and found nothing.

I've been thinking about buying a Bow (Archery) for a long time ever since i was a kid, i've always liked and i'd like to give it a go.

I was just wondering if anyone had any information on what i should buy or anything to avoid, or any advice in general.

It's not for hunting, just general fun on a target - but i'd like the bow to still retain a hunting ability incase the world suddenly goes south (Zombie/Apocalypse threads fault).

I have found a bow i really like that i'd buy;

http://www.merlinarcherycentre.co.uk/acatalog/Grozer_Old_Scythian_primitive_Bow.html

But i have no archery experience - and on top of that price i'd have to buy arrows and various target equipment.

Then there is this 'starter' kit - http://www.merlinarcherycentre.co.uk/acatalog/Recurve_Archery_Kit_-_Gents_-_Olympic_4.html

But i prefer the traditional bows, i think the modern recurve ones are extremely ugly and that includes the starter kit Bow - although i think its vaguely pretty compared to the standard composite recurve knocking around.

Also - would i be able to use either bows in an actual archery range?

For information's sake im 5'6 and right handed (with the possibility of going left handed).
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
I have no knowledge about of archery but that bow is nice... Traditional bows always look better. I have done archery a few times and I was pretty good I would like to join an archery club or something
I thought that you were so cool, doing the Jimmy Page... but you're not.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
I have a straight bow I can fack around with on my buddies farm.

It's a good time.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
Quote by seemeel
I thought that you were so cool, doing the Jimmy Page... but you're not.

Fail to understand?

Quote by leg end
I have no knowledge about of archery but that bow is nice... Traditional bows always look better. I have done archery a few times and I was pretty good I would like to join an archery club or something

Yeh i saw it and was like Must-Attain-At-All-Costs! But i hate having something Purely for show - i want to use it, i hate people who buy things for show and just let it collect dust.

I've done it a few times and ones as a kid and i always loved it, it's such a thrill I wouldn't mind joining a club aswel, and it'd be a cool thing to teach friends/girlfriends.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Why not buy a crossbow? those are cheap, easier to use and look badass!
Quote by God
I'm Omnipotent, which is to say that my dick eats both meat and plants

Ronnie and Steele, Rockstars today aint half as real.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio & Peter Steele
Quote by JY-Rasputin

I'm not after chav badass - i want Legolas Badass I want to actually learn to shoot with it though, a crossbow is just there for destruction - i dont want that.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
I only advise to put something around your wrists as the bow can take your skin off! (It happened to a teacher at my old school)
Quote by the_hoodster
I only advise to put something around your wrists as the bow can take your skin off! (It happened to a teacher at my old school)

Are those the things called 'leather guards' or 'wrist/hand guards'? I had considered just getting a cheap one that would just do the job, then later on get a custom made one, or make it myself over time
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
just get a gun (for shooting ranges only)
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
Quote by Anthony1991
Are those the things called 'leather guards' or 'wrist/hand guards'? I had considered just getting a cheap one that would just do the job, then later on get a custom made one, or make it myself over time

Most probably, I don't know anything about archery apart from that you see
I cant tell you anything about bows but i did some research into owning and buying a blimp. Maybe when you get your bow we can form a team of crimefighting/general evil-doing. I fancy raining death down upon those fancy-folk!
DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING
and
CAREFUL NOW

No man needs a holiday more than the man who has just had one.
Quote by Zolom
I cant tell you anything about bows but i did some research into owning and buying a blimp. Maybe when you get your bow we can form a team of crimefighting/general evil-doing. I fancy raining death down upon those fancy-folk!

I'm in so long as you get Duffman. That way he can thrust in the direction of target.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Anthony1991
I'm in so long as you get Duffman. That way he can thrust in the direction of target.

If not Duffman i will find someone willing to scout out problems and thrust towards them. In spandex.
DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING
and
CAREFUL NOW

No man needs a holiday more than the man who has just had one.
Some sites I read claim that its better to start with a recurve bow, I don't know how much validity that claim has though so you might want to look up on that. I'm also trying to get into archery to it's pretty fastening just gotta find a damn club around here.
Go like this

Quote by matt360
just get a gun (for shooting ranges only)

Or hunting.

Wait can you go hunting with a bow?
Impossible is just a word people say to make themselves feel better when they quit.
Vyse the Legend
I'd start off with the beginners' bow tbh, you get everything else you need with it and you have the option of using a sight to start off with, plus it helps you get a lot more accurate and learn where you're going wrong.

After you've been using that for a while, by all means go for the more traditional looking one, but until the beginners' kit will get you going just fine

EDIT: Or of course if you join a club they'll have everything you need to get started on, so you could just slowly collect the small stuff like arm guard, finger-guard, etc. then get the traditional recurve having used the modern beginners' bows they should have at the club for a while to get started
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
Last edited by archerygenious at Aug 14, 2010,
I don't get that bow unless you have VERY strong arms or want to use a piss weak test.

Compound bow, it makes it SO much easier to pull that 60 pounds back, otherwise, yeah, every arrow you shoot you're pulling 60 pounds. Though 60 is a little much for target practice, 40 is the minimum for hunting, so I guess you'd need at least 60 to feel safe shooting a zombie. 80 is the maximum test you want, though it gets to be a bitch if you're shooting a bunch of arrows. I only see a couple a big dudes shoot those.

Also the tail of the arrow can slice your finger off, it definitely isn't a toy, be careful if you buy one. What you should do is get a practice target, and a compound bow (a compound bow is the one with wheels on the end to make it easier to pull hat HXC wire) with about 20 pound test on it and a target from walmart.

I mean if you really want a traditional bow go for it, but you might as well go to a shooting range with a musket. I mean it doesn't even have sights to aim with.
Last edited by stratkat at Aug 14, 2010,
If you can't get that bow, TS, you have my axe.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
I would have a few lessons first, i remember when i had some (but then had loads of assignments piled on me so gave it up) there was quite a lot to proper technique and avoiding-ripping-your-skin-off etc
You really really should join a club first so you have at least some idea of what you're doing.

stratkat
Quote by ricanboyguitar
Go like this

Or hunting.

Wait can you go hunting with a bow?

Yes you can bow hunt, you have to use a bow with at least 40 lb test though (in IL anyway.)

It's actually easier to legally hunt with a bow then a gun.

Idk about traditional oldschool bows though, I've never heard of it, everyone uses compound bows.
Last edited by stratkat at Aug 14, 2010,
Yeah, join a club and practice with the bows they have there. Then you'll know whether you really want to start archery, and get advice on buying a bow and equipment from some more experienced people.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I did about 6 weeks worth of archery at a club some two hours away, and it was great fun, and good for learning. I'd recommend doing that. You do need an arm-guard though, because like many have said, using a bow wrong can mean losing skin/fingers.

Oh, and as a fun fact one of the instructors told us, most bulletproof glass isn't arrow proof. So apparently if you're a bank teller, and see someone come in and start stringing a bow, you should duck.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
Quote by damian_91
If you can't get that bow, TS, you have my axe.

This made me lol hard

Thankyou all for advice, i'll look around see if there are any clubs locally to see if i can get in there.

As i said i'm 5'6, so naturally im not big enough for the really powerful bows and being a beginner i doubt i could even pull it back long enough to actually hit something. I want that bow though The compound recurve bows just look sad imo, with the fiddly little wheels - it looks like such a kids bow, i'd rather learn on the real thing rather than some cosmetic carbon fibre monstrosity.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Dont shot a bow without being taught how first. Your gunna want to go with lessons Ive shot compound bows for about 5 years. go to a class first before you buy anything really. Compounds are nice too because you can adjust your pressure plus you can rest as you shoot instead of having to tighten up while you aim.
Quote by JY-Rasputin

In my state, you have to be handicapped to purchase and hunt with a crossbow. I'm not sure why.

EDIT: Also,

I don't always use bows, but when I do, I use a trigger release.

Very useful, and it assures a good clean release every shot.

Last edited by SaintsofNowhere at Aug 14, 2010,
I don't have too much experience with bows, but enough to give you some tips. First off, before you buy a bow, make sure to go to an archery club and rent a bow (or a couple) for the day so you can figure out the optimal draw strength for you. Try out some different type of bows as well, such as longbows, recurves and compounds. You said that you wanted a bow you could use, but there's a reson for why modern bows are "modern": they're a lot better than the traditional ones, both in accuracy and draw strength. Compound bows use pulleys and make the final bit of the drawing stage almost weightless and therefore a lot more stable. Because of this, you can aim the arrows a lot better. I know that they're ****ing ugly, but if you want a really functional bow, go for a compound
I have a PSE sentry recurve bow. I cant hunt with it or anything like that, but its fun to shoot targets and shit and looks totally badass
Make sure to get explosive arrowheads, like Rambo. Then you can blow up helicopters and shit.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
If you get that traditional bow in your first link, get the 40# one. Pretty much a minimum for hunting, and 40# is still really easy to pull.

Still, if you want to do a lot of hunting, a compound can't be beat. The let-off lets you sit with it pulled and aim for much longer if need be.
Archery is fun. I'd say go for the nice bow. Arrows are cheap and anything solid works as a target until you get some dosh for a real one.
Quote by SaintsofNowhere

I don't always use bows, but when I do, I use a trigger release.

Wow that's lame.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
I wouldn't start with a recurve.

Try to find a nice ready-to-shoot compound bow. They're already set up with a front sight, a peep sight and most of them have silencers too. The nice thing about starting with a compound is that its draw length is consistent, meaning the power behind each of your shots will be more consistent. Also, it lets off a good majority of the draw weight once you've got it fully drawn so you're not hanging onto 60 pounds of string while trying to aim.

Oh, and in case you already didn't know: never dry fire a bow.
Quote by Vornik
Wow that's lame.

maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
I got started out with a compound, first compound was a PSE deer hunter 55lbs with round cams, my next purchase was a PSE Firestorm lite 70lbs hybrid cam, which I used to hunt black bear, and a few times for grouse (a bit much for grouse though). I got really bored of being able to hit penny size targets at 30 yards and decided it was time for a challenge. I sold both my compounds to my brother and bought a 55lbs PSE impala recurve. big difference, at full draw with a trad bow you are holding the full weight, so even though a 70lbs compound, when at full draw you are holding only 15lbs (letoff !!) with a 55lbs recurve you are holding 55lbs at 28inch draw. also learned to shoot "off the shelf" with traditional turkey feathers instead of plastic fletching and instinctive shooting, which is basically, just looking at the target, and shooting, kind of like throwing a baseball, it's basically muscle memory and your brain calculates the distance without you really conscously thinking about it, no more need for expensive rangefinders.

currently I hunt with a 45lbs r/d (hybrid) longbow, I love the thing to death and I find I'm a better shot with it than a recurve (yep, I traded the Impala recurve for yet another fly fishing reel)
it's 5lbs over the legal minimum for deer in ontario which is just great for me, and it's not too heavy a draw. I'm shooting Beman Classic MFX (carbon arrows which are painted to look like traditional wood) and GoldTip traditional carbons, which have 125 grains for the range, my Bemans are 125 grain Magnus Snuffer broadheads with 75 grain hidden insert, if they don't penetrate the deer they are knocking it over
Quote by EuBoat
You really really should join a club first so you have at least some idea of what you're doing.

This.

I like to think I have some idea of what I'm going on about (there is reasoning behind it ) so this would be my advice.

Go and join a club. If you're fairly close to Merlin then you're in a pretty good area for decent clubs. Alternatively, go and see Ben/Chris at Merlin and see if they can do a beginners course for you. Don't go buying anything until you've finished a beginners course and then go to a shop where you can try out a decent selection of kit. My preference (if you want to shoot recurve) is to get a nice riser and nice sight, but cheap limbs and arrows at least whilst you're starting. The reason being that you will get stronger and need to change the limbs, which will also cause you to change the arrows. The riser/sight on the other hand can last for ages. If you're going compound, then a nice release aid is one of the most important things. Yes, you can get a cheapy £20 wrist release, but it will be crap. Go and get a nice Carter of some sort and learn to use it properly.

Regarding which type of bow is easier to shoot - they're all of an equal difficulty to be competitive with. A compound will be more accurate (unless you're rubbish) but everyone will be on the same playing field, so the scores are comparatively higher.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Quote by Hak0
... Compound bows use pulleys and make the final bit of the drawing stage almost weightless and therefore a lot more stable. Because of this, you can aim the arrows a lot better. I know that they're ****ing ugly, but if you want a really functional bow, go for a compound
But when you're out in the filed or in the city fighting off zombies, when the pulley gets jacked or the strings go, it'll be a bitch to get it functional quickly. With a recurve, it's a pretty straightforward process. BTW, I've only done this occasionally and for fun.